Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Have Done?
Michelle 07:30 PM 06-16-2011
I was at a Fast food play place today with my 6 dck's and my dd. and assistant
we were celebrating the last day of school, so they were all school age.

I saw this little baby (probably about 20 months old) out in the parking lot alone, actually knocking on the door of my mini van.
I looked around really quick to see if someone was getting him and no one did.
So, I jumped up and ran to get him before he got hit by a car still looking, nobody came.
I took him inside and asked them if someone was looking for him and they said no. I asked them to call the police and they just smiled at me
So, then I carried him back to the playplace and asked if he belonged to anyone. They all said no.
So, I got my cell phone out and started to call the police.
Finally this lady just walked over to me and said oh, he's my baby!
She took him and went back to her table to continue he intense conversation with her friend. After I chewed her out and told her I found him in the parking lot and I had him for at least 10 minutes...she acted like she couldn't speak English and walked away. I'm thinking I should have still called the police anyway but hence sight is always 20/20 He looked very clean, well dressed and healthy along with the 5 other 3-4 year olds she had with her.
But I keep beating myself up over this, what would you have done?
Country Kids 07:38 PM 06-16-2011
I would have probably called the police or made her really talk to me because if she had 5 other 3-4 year olds how do you know she wasn't a provider herself? Why didn't she know she was missing a child? If he made it clear out to the playplace and into the parking lot that is scary. Don't beat yourself up, just chalk it up to a learning experience.
cheerfuldom 07:54 PM 06-16-2011
you should go back to that restaurant and talk to a manager about how the situation was not handled well. nobody claimed a child in 10 minutes and somebody should have jumped all over that. if they do nothing, contact the higher ups. (and yes, I would have called the police)
sharlan 08:01 PM 06-16-2011
Scarey.

It's always easy to say "I would have done this or that", but you were the one in the situation.

It probably would have been best IF you called the police as soon as you found him. If she was another provider, CPS should have been called.

I doubt going back and talking to the manager will change anything in the future. There's not a lot of intelligent people working at fast food restaurants.
Michelle 08:15 PM 06-16-2011
yea, I should have called the police, I had 911 already dialed and was about to push send and that's when she came up to me.
This place is on a busy street and I am just so glad I was there.
There was a group of 4 idiotic teen girls" watching " a couple little kids too and the kids were actually yelling and cussing at the teens calling them stupid b@^tch and they were just laughing. So, I was thinking, could there be anything worse than that?
Then I saw the baby in the parking lot! jeez!
Also, the employees were just useless.
Cat Herder 05:00 AM 06-17-2011
Sadly this is becoming more and more common.

There is a whole culture that is not parenting, just surviving their kids.

I would recommend you contact the National Headquarters via email. They may send the manager one as well. It is more likely they will do something that way.

I am sure you are speaking of McDonald's and I know their reputation as "child safe fun" is valuable to them since the food is not exactly the biggest draw.

You did a great thing by stepping up...few people would have. You did a even bigger thing posting it here. Now anyone who reads this will be more likely to call and have a report filed.
dEHmom 05:39 AM 06-17-2011
do you know anything about this woman? maybe if you file a report, not sure if police would laugh because it's done and over with and the child is fine, but maybe they can request video and if they can pinpoint the license plate they may be able to investigate.

IF she is a child care provider, i'm assuming she is being that she had lots of kids with her, even if they were her nieces/nephews, she wasn't watching them. That child could have crossed the street and continued on his way, someone could have hit him, some one could have kid napped him in a split second and no one would know! How long was that child unattended for? could have been a half hour or an hour!

Seriously, this really bothers me. I know my own son has disappeared on me before, and it was terrifying. I ran around looking for him and screaming his name. I felt like the worst mom in the world. Some neighbors were holding him because he was about to cross the street. The lady that had him gave me an earful too, I just said thank you so much and left. Ticked me off that she was yelling at me, but I know I would've done the same. We were all in the backyard, including my husband. Our gates were locked (with padlocks) and dh was working on his bikes, I was picking up dog crap. My ds squeezed out beneath the gate and was walking to the park (less than half a block away). He was gone for about 1 1/2 minutes before we realized.

Perfect example of how quickly something can happen. I learned my lesson, I wonder if this woman learned hers.
countrymom 05:46 AM 06-17-2011
leaving your children strapped in carseats are starting to become the norm. This weekend we went to toronto and as we are walking down yonge street (that was a adventure in itself and any moms who know this place know what I'm talking about) there was 2 kids about 3 and 4 strapped in their carseats in the car waiting for a parent, so we stopped and went to the car to have a closer look, well in the front seat was a tween that could care less what was going on, so we waited till a parent came. BUT BECAUSE I DOUBLE PARK MY BIG VAN BECAUSE THEY MAKING PARKING SPOTS WAY TOO SMALL WE GET A NOTE ON THE WINDSHIELD ABOUT HOW RUDE ITS TO DOUBLE PARK. Funny how someone takes the time to write a not but could care less about kids left in cars by themselves.
WImom 06:01 AM 06-17-2011
I'd also talk to the manage there. That situation wasn't handled correctly by the mom or the resturant.
wdmmom 06:07 AM 06-17-2011
I would have called police and suggested they call Child Protective Services to come out and pay a visit to the parent!
Michelle 07:33 AM 06-17-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Sadly this is becoming more and more common.

There is a whole culture that is not parenting, just surviving their kids.

I would recommend you contact the National Headquarters via email. They may send the manager one as well. It is more likely they will do something that way.

I am sure you are speaking of McDonald's and I know their reputation as "child safe fun" is valuable to them since the food is not exactly the biggest draw.

You did a great thing by stepping up...few people would have. You did a even bigger thing posting it here. Now anyone who reads this will be more likely to call and have a report filed.
It was Burger King and I think it's interesting how in a store if a parent is missing a child they do a "Code Adam" and everyone springs into action. but if a toddler is FOUND people could care less. It scares me that anybody could have said "yes, that's my kid" and taken him. He was so sweet and friendly. I even joked with my d.d. later about it and said " you could have had a new baby brother" she was so shocked at this moms lack of care. She see's me go to extreme lengths to keep kids safe. I have never had a child get away from me and I have been to the zoo, Amusement Parks, etc. with 12- 14 kids . Some were downs syndrome and autistic( not at the same time, different time periods)
We just have a good system, when ever there is a gate, door, or whatever we always stand or sit by it. We do constant head counts, we never take more kids than we can safely handle, AND we watch them like hawks!!! We don't just sit there and talk. In fact I've seen on some T.V. show about child abductions that there are teams that will distract you and ask questions about something while standing in your line of sight and the other will grab your kid.
This world is so scary nowadays. And parents are so lazy.
I am pretty sure this was her own child and the other kids were her friends or relatives. They all looked very similar. It was a stupid decision to not call the police because if I see this kid on the news or something I will never forgive myself, but most likely the police would have done nothing. They would have came and said, "well, moms got him now" also when you call 911 around here, they put you on hold, lol
So, I put the direct number of the police in my cell phone now and if ever happens again, I know what to do.
mac60 06:23 AM 06-20-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Scarey.

It's always easy to say "I would have done this or that", but you were the one in the situation.

It probably would have been best IF you called the police as soon as you found him. If she was another provider, CPS should have been called.

I doubt going back and talking to the manager will change anything in the future. There's not a lot of intelligent people working at fast food restaurants.
Seriously, what does this have to do with the situation.....and on a bigger note, why on earth would you say something like this. There are all walks of people who work at fast food.....many of whom in our area has lost their jobs in this economy due to no fault of their own......and because they choose to work at fast food to put food on their table does not put them in the "not intelligent" group. Gees.
momofsix 07:03 AM 06-20-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
Seriously, what does this have to do with the situation.....and on a bigger note, why on earth would you say something like this. There are all walks of people who work at fast food.....many of whom in our area has lost their jobs in this economy due to no fault of their own......and because they choose to work at fast food to put food on their table does not put them in the "not intelligent" group. Gees.
So true Mac!
GretasLittleFriends 09:26 AM 06-20-2011
I found a toddler on a somewhat busy road once. I asked the people whose house he was in front of if he was theirs or if they knew him. They did not. I put him in my car (as I was driving when I found him). I pulled into an apartment parking lot that was right there. The police came and got him, took a report. The grandmother saw us out the window and came down and started yelling at me (in front of the police officer). I finished my statement, the officer thanked me (several times), and I left. It was explained to the grandmother where the child was found and never once did I get a thank you from her or an apology from her. I felt very bad for that little guy. He was 18 months maybe 2 at the oldest.

I would have done the same thing in a restaurant or other location, I'd have called 911 had I found the child in a parking lot.

My thoughts are #1 The authorities are aware of the situation if there has been other negligence issues or there gets to be other negligence issues and #2 I am more sure that the child is returned to his/her parent, and if not, well the authorities are responsible at that point and I'm not in trouble/involved in handing the child over to a stranger.

I read the OP and couldn't help but wonder was that the child's mother? What if it wouldn't have been?
sharlan 09:39 AM 06-20-2011
You are right, I should have phrased that differently.

I was commenting on this statement........"I took him inside and asked them if someone was looking for him and they said no. I asked them to call the police and they just smiled at me"........... IMHO, that's not an intelligent response to someone asking for the police to be called.
Michelle 01:00 PM 06-20-2011
Believe me I'm kicking myself over the "what if it wasn't her kid " too.
This kid looked just like the other kids and the lady.
Until you are in this situation, it's hard to say what you would do.
I had 911 called on my phone, I was about to push send when she came up to me. Calling 911 after she got him and my nice LONG lecture about keeping him safe..would have been just revenge, in my opinion.
But if this happens again I would definitely call the police because you all have a good point. This has probably happened before with her.
Michael 01:02 PM 06-20-2011
That is child neglect. 20 month old, 10 minutes in a parking lot? That child could have easily been killed. I would have driven the child to the police station.

What's done is done. I would not worry about it unless you could somehow find this person again. You could still fill out a police report if it makes you feel better.
QualiTcare 03:11 PM 06-20-2011
i agree.

i worked at a fast food place all during high school (after i turned 16 anyway) and on and off through college. nothing ticked me off more than when a customer would speak to me condescendingly. people just expect anyone who works in a fast food place to be "stupid" and they have no problem treating them as such. i have friends still today who i met while working there and they may not be educated or rich, but they are by no means stupid. that doesn't mean there aren't stupid people who work in fast food joints, but there are stupid people working everywhere.
QualiTcare 03:15 PM 06-20-2011
i disagree with contacting the manager or 'reporting' any of the employees/management about the situation. since when did people not taking care of their children become a fast food employee's responsibility? maybe in an ideal world an employee would've jumped over the counter and saved the day, but the question of "why" an employee didn't react, call the police, etc. is the same question that can be asked of you or any other bystander. the responsibility lies on the mother of the child and her alone. not you OR any employee of the restaurant. besides, it's over, so what good could come from reporting the manager?
Michelle 06:41 PM 06-20-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
That is child neglect. 20 month old, 10 minutes in a parking lot? That child could have easily been killed. I would have driven the child to the police station.

What's done is done. I would not worry about it unless you could somehow find this person again. You could still fill out a police report if it makes you feel better.
I know!! oh my gosh,
If I see her again, I will write down her license plate and call dpss
she left so fast, the police would not have caught up to her anyway.
If I would have withheld her child from her she could have said that I was kidnapping him. And yes, i know I could have told them about the parking lot and the ten minutes of her neglect.
I had a lot of my kids with me and I was responsible for their safety too.
They were my number one priority at the time.
I think I did possibly save a life that day and I think that's what's important.
I am so glad that we are discussing this.
Now, everyone can know ahead of time the right thing to do but not every situation is the same so we have to think fast on our feet and protect these children.
For instance, say, you were driving down the street and you saw a bunch of gang bangers fighting and a 2 year old alone standing in street screaming "daddy" would you pick up that child and stand there to call the police while your dck's are in your van?
If you saw a 3 year old crossing a major street alone while all your kids are sleeping in the house, would you leave them alone to save the child?
I know I had my assistant with me at Burger King and maybe these aren't good examples but they CAN happen and we have to honestly think what we would do in that instant! I honestly have never seen anybody act so stupid , so now I am ready to save another life and make sure this doesn't happen again... now I'm rambling lol..... 12 kids today
Michelle 06:46 PM 06-20-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i disagree with contacting the manager or 'reporting' any of the employees/management about the situation. since when did people not taking care of their children become a fast food employee's responsibility? maybe in an ideal world an employee would've jumped over the counter and saved the day, but the question of "why" an employee didn't react, call the police, etc. is the same question that can be asked of you or any other bystander. the responsibility lies on the mother of the child and her alone. not you OR any employee of the restaurant. besides, it's over, so what good could come from reporting the manager?
Hey, wow, you are right!
That mother was responsible for her own child?
jeez, what a novel concept..
Thank you, i feel so much better...hugs
You know what they say, you have to pass a test to get your drivers license...
QualiTcare 06:59 PM 06-20-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
Hey, wow, you are right!
That mother was responsible for her own child?
jeez, what a novel concept..
Thank you, i feel so much better...hugs
You know what they say, you have to pass a test to get your drivers license...
that's cute and everything, but my point was (which i thought was clear) that even if a parent doesn't take responsibility for their child, it doesn't default to the business owner. it's a little different than finding a pair of sunglasses in and turning them in at the lost and found than it is finding a kid OUTSIDE and turning it in. by reporting the employees, you not only let the mother "get away" with her behavior, but someone else is going to take heat FOR her.
Michelle 08:41 PM 06-20-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
that's cute and everything, but my point was (which i thought was clear) that even if a parent doesn't take responsibility for their child, it doesn't default to the business owner. it's a little different than finding a pair of sunglasses in and turning them in at the lost and found than it is finding a kid OUTSIDE and turning it in. by reporting the employees, you not only let the mother "get away" with her behavior, but someone else is going to take heat FOR her.
I did not let the mother get away, I had 6 of my own kids that I was responsible for.
They were my first priority.
Even if I did successfully call 911, I would have been put on hold (those of you in Ca. know what I'm talking about), then I would have got the police and I would have told them the baby was with his mother, then they would have come 30 minutes later and she would have been gone by then.
The reason why i started this thread was first of all I was in total shock from what just happened and curious as to what you guys would have done.
It's really easy to play Monday morning quarterback.

One time we heard someone outside our window and I called 911 and the police didn't come for 25 minutes. a friend told me next time to tell them you see something that looks like a gun in their hand, then they will come fast
Also, I don't believe it helpful to report the employees , at that split second I just thought they should know in case they knew someone was looking for him and then asked them to call so I wouldn't have to from my cell phone. Landlines are better when it comes to 911

I'm just glad everything turned out right and I'm glad I was there to help this baby but regret posting it on here now.
I will stick to talking about laundry soap and toys, I guess
sharlan 08:50 PM 06-20-2011
..........It's really easy to play Monday morning quarterback................

Isn't that the truth?
Michelle 11:12 PM 06-20-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:

Just one more thing, , I don't know how long he was in the parking lot until I saw him, but I RAN to get him as soon as I saw him and he was with me for about ten minutes til his mom came up to me. I could not have driven him to the police station, I had 7 other people with me and an 8 passenger minivan. Some of my kids were in the toy, some were still eating...
Neglect on the mother? yep! and I will keep my eye out for her.
Kaddidle Care 05:30 AM 06-21-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
Finally this lady just walked over to me and said oh, he's my baby!
She took him and went back to her table to continue he intense conversation with her friend. After I chewed her out and told her I found him in the parking lot and I had him for at least 10 minutes...she acted like she couldn't speak English and walked away. I'm thinking I should have still called the police anyway but hence sight is always 20/20 He looked very clean, well dressed and healthy along with the 5 other 3-4 year olds she had with her.
But I keep beating myself up over this, what would you have done?
I probably would have stood there with my jaw dropped just like you did. It's absolutely shocking that someone cared so little for that little boy.

I couldn't help but think that perhaps the children weren't hers and she could care less about them. Wow, just wow!

Thank goodness you were a good person and got him out of the parking lot. You did the right thing. I'm pretty appalled that you got a "smile" when you asked an employee to call the police. I wonder if the employee understood English. You might mention it to the Manager and if it bothers you enough, call the non-emergency line of the police and see what they suggest about it. Chances are they may have some footage of the event at the restaurant IF they had their cameras on.
Michelle 05:48 AM 06-21-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
I probably would have stood there with my jaw dropped just like you did. It's absolutely shocking that someone cared so little for that little boy.

I couldn't help but think that perhaps the children weren't hers and she could care less about them. Wow, just wow!

Thank goodness you were a good person and got him out of the parking lot. You did the right thing. I'm pretty appalled that you got a "smile" when you asked an employee to call the police. I wonder if the employee understood English. You might mention it to the Manager and if it bothers you enough, call the non-emergency line of the police and see what they suggest about it. Chances are they may have some footage of the event at the restaurant IF they had their cameras on.
I was shocked! It was something that you don't do every day.
When I take care of children, it is the most important thing on earth to me to keep them safe. Our policy with a baby that young is direct supervision with eyes on them at all time, especially in public.
They tend to wonder off at this age.
Tags:lost child, wwyd
Reply Up