Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Difficult Daycare Provider
mka_mommy 04:24 PM 03-24-2016
2 weeks ago I pulled my children out immediately when I found out the daycare provider brought my 17 month old to a doctor who prescribed her medicine without my consent. I had no idea that she was brought to a doctor, and the only reason I had found out was because she was asking me what pharmacy I pick up from. This led me to question why, and how. I went over all the contracts I had copies of, but none contained a 2 week notice policy. In good faith I paid 1 week and asked for a copy of the signed contract. I received no copy of any contract, and a week later I am receiving a request to leave the 2nd half of the payment under their doormat. I politely asked for the signed contract and I will leave it on the porch that night. I then get a text telling me that the daycare provider has in the hospital for the past 5 days and is receiving chemotherapy and cannot provide the contract. I keep in contact with one of the mothers whose child is still currently under her care. Out of curiosity, I asked how the daycare provider is doing and if she has been out sick. It is confirmed that she was home the night before cooking spaghetti. She was rude, she insulted me, she told me how horrible of a parent I am, but I still only simply requested for a copy of the signed contract. She is now threatening to bring me to court, and that she has now calculated over $2,000 of late fees. This is outrageous. I've never picked them up later than we've agreed, and why did she never charge me late fees when it supposedly incurred? I'm completely unaware of these fees she is now threatening to charge me, Is this acceptable? Oh and, at this moment, I still have not received a copy of the contract. During her mean rant to me, about me, she slipped and said she bathed my children. This is completely unacceptable and I've never consented her to ever take my children baths. They take baths at home. Period. I also brought up the fact that it is not okay for her to give over the counter medicine where she responded with, i signed an agreement that she can give them over the counter medicine. It was ALLERGY MEDICINE IN JANUARY. My children only have seasonal Spring allergies?! I stayed professional, and did not respond maliciously towards her. I was just in shock. Is this acceptable? What can I do? I wouldn't trust any child under her care. Does anyone have any advice?

I am shocked.
Thriftylady 05:44 PM 03-24-2016
Well first I wonder what doctor would have seen or treated your DD without your consent. I have consent forms signed for my DCKs, but they clearly state on them "emergency medical". Meaning I can get them treated in an emergency until a parent arrives. I would be calling the parent at my soonest possible moment, as soon as I could when dealing with an emergency. How do you know she took your child to a doctor?

The medicine thing, my parents sign a form as well, but I always text for permission before giving anything. I don't like to admin any meds, but if I have to I text each and every time and the parent responds so I have verified permission each time. As far as allergies, my DD and I have year round indoor/outdoor allergies, but as a parent you would surely know if you child was having allergy issues. My next question there is did you drop your child off ill? Even so you should have been notified.

As far as the contract, I never ask my parents to pay fees before the contract is written up and signed and I hand them a photo copy. In the future, I suggest you ask for it this way!

As far as late pick ups did you personally sign your child in and out each day? If so, the log should clear that up. If not, it could be your word against hers, but I would argue that it was never asked to be paid at the time it was supposedly incurred.

My best advice at this point is to make it a learning lesson. If you feel she broke licensing rules, you can call and make a report and they handle it from there. They will ask to see her records at that point.
NightOwl 05:50 PM 03-24-2016
Who paid for this doctor's visit and the meds? I'm finding it hard to believe that the provider would foot the bill for this. Did she bill you?
Thriftylady 06:08 PM 03-24-2016
Originally Posted by NightOwl:
Who paid for this doctor's visit and the meds? I'm finding it hard to believe that the provider would foot the bill for this. Did she bill you?
I was wondering that also. Still wondering why the doctors office would see a child with an emergency medical release if it wasn't an actual emergency.
LysesKids 07:06 PM 03-24-2016
I'm wondering how a DR could treat a child period without parental consent; not just emergencies... my contract specifically states

In the event that Exxxx determines that emergency medical attention is necessary for my child, I authorize Exxxx xxxx to act as an agent for me, and to give my permission for my child to be attended by rescue personnel and/or physician in such circumstances, as she deems necessary until a parent can be reached. This childcare home does not provide transport for injured children. I, the parent, understand that I am responsible for any and all transportation and medical costs for my child.

No chance I would take a kid to a DR for just allergies or similar
Thriftylady 07:28 PM 03-24-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I'm wondering how a DR could treat a child period without parental consent; not just emergencies... my contract specifically states

In the event that Exxxx determines that emergency medical attention is necessary for my child, I authorize Exxxx xxxx to act as an agent for me, and to give my permission for my child to be attended by rescue personnel and/or physician in such circumstances, as she deems necessary until a parent can be reached. This childcare home does not provide transport for injured children. I, the parent, understand that I am responsible for any and all transportation and medical costs for my child.

No chance I would take a kid to a DR for just allergies or similar
I like your clause about transporting. I am going to think about adding that. Problem is depending on the emergency I could see me transporting. I mean in the case of a broken bone, I wouldn't call an ambulance, but I wouldn't want a child sitting in pain for the half hour drive time all my parents have to get here, then another half hour drive to the hospital.
mka_mommy 11:33 PM 03-24-2016
She did not bill me, and I found it hard to believe myself. When she would not tell me what doctor prescribed the medicine, I took the children out immediately. The only thing she told me was "It is my daughters doctor and a long time friend" I feel like they somehow tried to use my insurance (provided in case of an emergency) but was unable to pick up at the pharmacy because I had recently switched jobs & insurance. She text my mom what pharmacy I pick up from, which was a red flag, then I confronted her on why she needs that info. This happened very recently, so I'm wondering if I'll be receiving something in the mail?
mka_mommy 11:43 PM 03-24-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I was wondering that also. Still wondering why the doctors office would see a child with an emergency medical release if it wasn't an actual emergency.
I believe someone bended some rules for her ~ Ex-daycare provider simply told me it was her daughters doctor and a long time friend. I took it in calmly, and that night I knew I was pulling them out of there.
mka_mommy 11:49 PM 03-24-2016
Well first I wonder what doctor would have seen or treated your DD without your consent. I have consent forms signed for my DCKs, but they clearly state on them "emergency medical". Meaning I can get them treated in an emergency until a parent arrives. I would be calling the parent at my soonest possible moment, as soon as I could when dealing with an emergency. How do you know she took your child to a doctor?

The medicine thing, my parents sign a form as well, but I always text for permission before giving anything. I don't like to admin any meds, but if I have to I text each and every time and the parent responds so I have verified permission each time. As far as allergies, my DD and I have year round indoor/outdoor allergies, but as a parent you would surely know if you child was having allergy issues. My next question there is did you drop your child off ill? Even so you should have been notified.

As far as the contract, I never ask my parents to pay fees before the contract is written up and signed and I hand them a photo copy. In the future, I suggest you ask for it this way!

As far as late pick ups did you personally sign your child in and out each day? If so, the log should clear that up. If not, it could be your word against hers, but I would argue that it was never asked to be paid at the time it was supposedly incurred.

My best advice at this point is to make it a learning lesson. If you feel she broke licensing rules, you can call and make a report and they handle it from there. They will ask to see her records at that point.
There is no sign in sheet. And I was rarely late. If I was I'd have called my mother to pick up my children to avoid being late. But even then, why and how would she be able to charge me $2k+ in late fees? I wish I could send the screenshot of her texts to me. She is literally crazy. One moment she says she misses my kids and would watch them for free, the next moment she is going crazy because I've simply asked for a contract in order to pay the remaining $300.
childcaremom 01:26 AM 03-25-2016
I feel like there is something criminal going on here.

I would contact the police. I would contact licensing.

Are there other children still in care there?

I would NOT send my child back, cease communications and keep a record of all her attempts to contact me.
Josiegirl 03:07 AM 03-25-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:

I would NOT send my child back, cease communications and keep a record of all her attempts to contact me.
I agree!! Something is totally off with this entire situation. Definitely call licensing. And if needed, go right up the list to get satisfaction. Get all the documentation you have kept so far plus everything else she sends you. Is this woman licensed with the state, do you know if there are online complaints about her, maybe you could talk further with the other dcm you seem to have a bond with(discuss actions such as bathing, meds., etc.), does she seem to have tons of kids(over ratios), it doesn't add up. If you can afford to get a lawyer maybe go that route? If not, then check around and see if there is some kind of agency that can help you with the legalities of this.
I also don't understand....did dcp try to get OTC meds or prescription meds? IF she did bring your dd to the drs. why would she need to know which pharmacy you used to get OTC?
Thriftylady 04:17 AM 03-25-2016
Originally Posted by mka_mommy:
There is no sign in sheet. And I was rarely late. If I was I'd have called my mother to pick up my children to avoid being late. But even then, why and how would she be able to charge me $2k+ in late fees? I wish I could send the screenshot of her texts to me. She is literally crazy. One moment she says she misses my kids and would watch them for free, the next moment she is going crazy because I've simply asked for a contract in order to pay the remaining $300.
In the future, I would look for a provider who has the things i mentioned in place such as the sign in/sigh out sheet, etc. That is for the provider, but it helps protect you also.
Blackcat31 05:24 AM 03-25-2016
2 weeks ago I pulled my children out immediately when I found out the daycare provider brought my 17 month old to a doctor who prescribed her medicine without my consent. I had no idea that she was brought to a doctor, and the only reason I had found out was because she was asking me what pharmacy I pick up from. This led me to question why, and how. I went over all the contracts I had copies of, but none contained a 2 week notice policy. In good faith I paid 1 week and asked for a copy of the signed contract. I received no copy of any contract, and a week later I am receiving a request to leave the 2nd half of the payment under their doormat. I politely asked for the signed contract and I will leave it on the porch that night. I then get a text telling me that the daycare provider has in the hospital for the past 5 days and is receiving chemotherapy and cannot provide the contract. I keep in contact with one of the mothers whose child is still currently under her care. Out of curiosity, I asked how the daycare provider is doing and if she has been out sick. It is confirmed that she was home the night before cooking spaghetti. She was rude, she insulted me, she told me how horrible of a parent I am, but I still only simply requested for a copy of the signed contract. She is now threatening to bring me to court, and that she has now calculated over $2,000 of late fees. This is outrageous. I've never picked them up later than we've agreed, and why did she never charge me late fees when it supposedly incurred? I'm completely unaware of these fees she is now threatening to charge me, Is this acceptable? Oh and, at this moment, I still have not received a copy of the contract. During her mean rant to me, about me, she slipped and said she bathed my children. This is completely unacceptable and I've never consented her to ever take my children baths. They take baths at home. Period. I also brought up the fact that it is not okay for her to give over the counter medicine where she responded with, i signed an agreement that she can give them over the counter medicine. It was ALLERGY MEDICINE IN JANUARY. My children only have seasonal Spring allergies?! I stayed professional, and did not respond maliciously towards her. I was just in shock. Is this acceptable? What can I do? I wouldn't trust any child under her care. Does anyone have any advice?

I am shocked.
What state are you in?
mka_mommy 07:58 AM 03-25-2016

My first reaction was to contact police. This is hard, because I've trusted her care for the past 1.5 years with my kids. And her husband is a cop. So I've been proceeding with caution. I didn't realize asking for a signed contract would unfold into a crazy mess (which I still have not received!) I need to figure out how to get her license. She gave me a business card when the kids just started, but I can't find it! I've been searching all over the internet, which led me to this website, but to no avail.

To give you an idea of

Here are her exact words, "My daughter is sitting with me watching powerful drugs run through me as she cries day and night wondering if I will live or die and all you give a crap about is a damn signed contract you know you signed a year and a half ago. Are you that heartless?? You need help... you seriously need help. Think about who are you as a human!! My daughter is crying as she is laying in bed with me and you care about yourself. Sick."

I can't even make up stuff like this! She's seriously insane. And having her husband as a cop does not make this situation any easier for me. All the while, I KNEW she was not at the hospital because the other mom was giving me updates on her! (Making spaghetti for the kids, going to softball with her daughter?!) Pretty good for someone who was doing 5 days of chemo? A horrible reason to avoid giving me a signed contract!

It took me awhile to respond, because I have no experience with dealing with a person like this. My response was simply "Please send over the signed contract and we will be happy to pay the rest"

She is NOT fit to run a childcare. It's weird cause literally not even a month ago I was raving about what a great daycare my kids go to... and now suddenly I'm fearing for any child that still goes there... and that gut wrenching thoughts of what did she do, what did she give them, when I was completely unaware of her bizarre behavior/personality... =/
mka_mommy 08:02 AM 03-25-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
What state are you in?
California
Blackcat31 08:09 AM 03-25-2016
My first reaction was to contact police. This is hard, because I've trusted her care for the past 1.5 years with my kids. And her husband is a cop. So I've been proceeding with caution. I didn't realize asking for a signed contract would unfold into a crazy mess (which I still have not received!) I need to figure out how to get her license. She gave me a business card when the kids just started, but I can't find it! I've been searching all over the internet, which led me to this website, but to no avail.

To give you an idea of

Here are her exact words, "My daughter is sitting with me watching powerful drugs run through me as she cries day and night wondering if I will live or die and all you give a crap about is a damn signed contract you know you signed a year and a half ago. Are you that heartless?? You need help... you seriously need help. Think about who are you as a human!! My daughter is crying as she is laying in bed with me and you care about yourself. Sick."

I can't even make up stuff like this! She's seriously insane. And having her husband as a cop does not make this situation any easier for me. All the while, I KNEW she was not at the hospital because the other mom was giving me updates on her! (Making spaghetti for the kids, going to softball with her daughter?!) Pretty good for someone who was doing 5 days of chemo? A horrible reason to avoid giving me a signed contract!

It took me awhile to respond, because I have no experience with dealing with a person like this. My response was simply "Please send over the signed contract and we will be happy to pay the rest"

She is NOT fit to run a childcare. It's weird cause literally not even a month ago I was raving about what a great daycare my kids go to... and now suddenly I'm fearing for any child that still goes there... and that gut wrenching thoughts of what did she do, what did she give them, when I was completely unaware of her bizarre behavior/personality... =/
You need to stop responding to her. Period.

Report this entire situation to licensing. If you need help finding out who and where to contact, send me a PM with your exact location (what town you live in) and I will find the contact info for you.

You need to keep any documentation you have from her and report this. Do NOT continue discussing this with her. It's pointless.

Whether her DH is law enforcement or not has nothing to do with the fact that something very odd is going on here.

For future reference ANY time you sign paperwork for enrollment in child care you are entitled to make and KEEP a copy for your own records. Do not sign without keeping a copy for yourself.

Save all documentation you have (texts, e-mails etc) from her and report this entire situation the the proper authorities. They will assist you in figuring out the next legal and logical steps.
mka_mommy 08:11 AM 03-25-2016
In the future, I would look for a provider who has the things i mentioned in place such as the sign in/sigh out sheet, etc. That is for the provider, but it helps protect you also.
Yes, I will. She seemingly had a very nice and bubbly personality. Up until recently. In hind-sight, and now with talking to another mom whose child is in her care, we are connecting dots and I am suspecting she gives the children allergy medicine to make them drowsy. I told the other mom to not give the daycare provider ANY IDEA that we still keep in contact, to keep her babies safe. It's hard not to feel that way with thinking back how she would give my kids allergy medicine. I was so naive! but thankful to God my children are OUT OF THERE.
Blackcat31 08:13 AM 03-25-2016
http://www.ccld.ca.gov/PG408.htm
Rockgirl 08:31 AM 03-25-2016
Why is the other mom leaving her child there, when she suspects the children are being medicated?
mka_mommy 09:04 AM 03-25-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I agree!! Something is totally off with this entire situation. Definitely call licensing. And if needed, go right up the list to get satisfaction. Get all the documentation you have kept so far plus everything else she sends you. Is this woman licensed with the state, do you know if there are online complaints about her, maybe you could talk further with the other dcm you seem to have a bond with(discuss actions such as bathing, meds., etc.), does she seem to have tons of kids(over ratios), it doesn't add up. If you can afford to get a lawyer maybe go that route? If not, then check around and see if there is some kind of agency that can help you with the legalities of this.
I also don't understand....did dcp try to get OTC meds or prescription meds? IF she did bring your dd to the drs. why would she need to know which pharmacy you used to get OTC?
The prescription was for amox. I have proof of the days I've already brought my child to the doctor, 2/25 I brought my 17 mo suspecting an ear infection, but the doctor confirmed it was likely digestive problems. (I was concerned because she had been fussy, and very cranky lately, mommy & daddy weren’t getting any sleep either) No fever, no cough. 3/02 is when DCP brought her to her “friend” doctor, and prescribed her amoxicillin. (literally 5 days after I had brought her to her own pediatrician) I found it odd when she was asking which pharmacy I go to, I asked her why. She told me she brought my daughter to the doctor, and need to pick up prescription (Like it was no big deal!) Red flags blaring, I made an appointment that same day (I love Kaiser) with her pediatrician. She did in fact have an ear infection, I found it odd, but my daughters doctor said some children do get ear infections without a fever, and advised that the DCP should not have brought her to any doctor and that it was considered child assault. The doctor had not medical history on the child, and that I being the parent had no idea she was brought there. The level of trust was completely broken. AND DCP now had her own supply of amox. How she did that, I still have no idea ~ just scary that she’s able to get prescription drugs that way!
mka_mommy 09:14 AM 03-25-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
Why is the other mom leaving her child there, when she suspects the children are being medicated?
She's currently looking. This has happened over the course of 3 days (3/22 - 3/24). It took me a week to figure out a new daycare situation for my kids. (she took my daughter to the dr. w/ out my consent 3/02, had to silently stay nice without her suspecting I was trying to get my kids out the week of 3/07 - 3/11 - and terminated her as a DCP 3/13) She asked me for 2 weeks notice pay. I cooperated and gave her 1 week pay 3/14 in good faith she would provide the signed contract. 3/22 she contacted for the last week of pay, and it all unraveled between 3/22 - 3/24. All I asked for was a signed copy of the contract for my records, which I still haven't received. I was ready to pay the week just to get her off my back, but I was advised that I am entitled for a copy of the contract, and if I she does not provide, than I am not responsible for paying it if it was not in her contract I signed upon enrollment. When I told her that I don't remember reading that on her terms and if she can provide a copy, she got defensive and said it wasn't me who signed, it was my husband. Where i then politely asked for a copy. I still haven't received it. Keep in mind, I did already pay the first week, without even seeing her contract believing I would have gotten it by now.
Rockgirl 09:21 AM 03-25-2016
She's currently looking. This has happened over the course of 3 days (3/22 - 3/24). It took me a week to figure out a new daycare situation for my kids. (she took my daughter to the dr. w/ out my consent 3/02, had to silently stay nice without her suspecting I was trying to get my kids out the week of 3/07 - 3/11 - and terminated her as a DCP 3/13) She asked me for 2 weeks notice pay. I cooperated and gave her 1 week pay 3/14 in good faith she would provide the signed contract. 3/22 she contacted for the last week of pay, and it all unraveled between 3/22 - 3/24. All I asked for was a signed copy of the contract for my records, which I still haven't received. I was ready to pay the week just to get her off my back, but I was advised that I am entitled for a copy of the contract, and if I she does not provide, than I am not responsible for paying it if it was not in her contract I signed upon enrollment. When I told her that I don't remember reading that on her terms and if she can provide a copy, she got defensive and said it wasn't me who signed, it was my husband. Where i then politely asked for a copy. I still haven't received it. Keep in mind, I did already pay the first week, without even seeing her contract believing I would have gotten it by now.
I totally get all the contract part--it's not valid unless both parties received a copy.

But if I suspected my child was being medicated, I would pull immediately. Children have died in care when medicated to make them sleep. No way would I take that risk with my child just to avoid upsetting the provider!
mka_mommy 09:24 AM 03-25-2016
Thank you Blackcat31
mka_mommy 09:35 AM 03-25-2016
I totally get all the contract part--it's not valid unless both parties received a copy.

But if I suspected my child was being medicated, I would pull immediately. Children have died in care when medicated to make them sleep. No way would I take that risk with my child just to avoid upsetting the provider!
Exactly... knowing what I know now, I would have done it the instant i had a bad feeling. If you ever met the DCP you literally would never in your wildest imagination think she would be doing anything to harm your child. I trusted her for 1.5 years whole heartedly. And it was when the other DCM reached out to me in FB and asked why I took my children out is when I began to realize the true harm in this all. I really believe I was put in this position to now protect any child under her care. I was so naive, but now with all this research I've done in the past 48 hours is mind blowing. It's a scary thought that my children could have been a victim of hers. I'm doing everything I can, get the right resources. I'm reaching out to family attorneys, i'm reaching out to friend attorneys, I've just submitted an inquiry at my local attorney office, i'm reaching out here on a forum, friends family. Every outlet I can get to, to take the calculated steps that will protect a child. Believe me, in hindsight there are so many things I would have done differently. But I'm focusing on today, and right now. Thanking my lucky stars my children are safe, and now ensuring the safety of other children is my goal. And taking it as a true lesson learned.
Josiegirl 10:17 AM 03-25-2016
She should be investigated pronto. Either by state licensing or police with a warrant. I don't know the procedure to go through for them to obtain a warrant but something needs to happen soon, to stop her.
sharlan 10:59 AM 03-25-2016
In CA, we cannot give children prescription medication without a SIGNED LIC 9221.

You need to contact licensing ASAP.
mka_mommy 11:08 AM 03-25-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
In CA, we cannot give children prescription medication without a SIGNED LIC 9221.

You need to contact licensing ASAP.
Thank you for this. I was unaware of this form, and googled it. I will tell you right now I never received or signed this form. It was amazing how nonchalant DCP was about getting the prescription. She went on to tell me to let the doctor know she doesn't need to prescribe any amox because she already has some??! When I told the pediatrician she was just as shocked as I was.
SnowGirl 11:15 AM 03-25-2016
Regardless of her status as licensed or illegally run, the licensing office will want to know about this.

Contact them with her address and name, they'll take it from there (I'm in CO, not CA, but they investigate illegal daycares here through licensing. I would think CA would as well).

I'm so glad your child is safe now, please get this woman investigated ASAP. Call licensing!.
NeedaVaca 12:33 PM 03-25-2016
This entire thread is odd to me, you say you looked at all the contracts and didn't see anything about a 2 weeks notice, then you say you need a copy of the contract. A Dr saw your daughter as a patient and prescribed her medicine and you are more worried about the contract? You took a week before pulling your daughter? You now suspect drugging them for naps and another parent is aware of this and still taking her daughter there? She actually got a prescription? I'm sorry but the contract would be the least of my worries, the provider could likely go to jail for this, the Dr that wrote a prescription for your child could also bear legal troubles, lose medical license etc. this whole story is just strange IMO
NightOwl 12:46 PM 03-25-2016
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
This entire thread is odd to me, you say you looked at all the contracts and didn't see anything about a 2 weeks notice, then you say you need a copy of the contract. A Dr saw your daughter as a patient and prescribed her medicine and you are more worried about the contract? You took a week before pulling your daughter? You now suspect drugging them for naps and another parent is aware of this and still taking her daughter there? She actually got a prescription? I'm sorry but the contract would be the least of my worries, the provider could likely go to jail for this, the Dr that wrote a prescription for your child could also bear legal troubles, lose medical license etc. this whole story is just strange IMO
I agree. This is a really strange thread. I would have had this woman arrested on day ONE of this debacle, not kept my child enrolled with her for another full week, which gave her 7 more days to medicate my child behind my back. No way. No job is worth endangering my kid (assuming the fear of losing her job was the "reason" for keeping her child enrolled).
mka_mommy 01:08 PM 03-25-2016
You must be skimming, so I won't take offense. I want to be clear that my children are my number one priority. I have trusted my DCP whole heartedly for 1.5 years, and saw her daily. The moment I had a strange feeling, I seeked other care for my children. But again, it's hard to wrap your head around something that is hard to believe. Now this whole while, she is acting as though it is no big deal. I've never been put in this situation. By the next week I had them placed somewhere else.

When I pulled my children out, i didn't tell DCP the true reason. I truly did consider her a friend. My children were already out of her care when I was asking for the contract. I already placed the first week under her mat as she requested, but at the same time, thinking it was no big deal, I didn't realize that a simple request for a signed copy would turn into this drawn out dramatic series of texts that I was receiving from her. During these series of texts, which began Tuesday of this week 3/22 - I began to see her irrational, psychotic behavior emerge. It just boggles my mind that I had politely requested a copy and still haven't received it even today. If she didn't have it in her contract, then why should I pay the remaining?

And with that being said, it's already set, I will be reporting her to the correct authority. As I've said in previous posts, I've already reached out to family/friends/lawyers and even this forum.

It has proven to be helpful, especially with forms that are required (which I never received) and resources that were provided. You can't expect me to be an expert in an area i'm unfamiliar with. I trusted her. I thought she was my friend. And never in a million years would I have thought she'd do anything to harm my children. And now I'm fearing for the children who are under her care. I want to take the proper measures, and not leave anything out. I could easily walk away from this, but I know that there is something that needs to be done.
SnowGirl 01:17 PM 03-25-2016
I reread OP's first post and she said she pulled immediately when she learned DCprovider was seeking medication for her child. She also said that she was looking at all the contracts/paperwork she had but didn't see anything about her notice, so she asked for the full, signed contract. To me it just sounds like a first-time mom who didn't realize at first how important it might be to have all her paperwork ducks in a row with a daycare provider. I'm sure her lesson is well learned!

It is a pretty wild story, but we all advised that authorities should be contacted, contact info was given, and OP is now working on reporting these things to authorities. If it's fabricated or not, we gave the right advice. I'd rather know that we did right by the children in care of this provider should the story be true, than question the story and those children remain in danger, kwim?
mka_mommy 01:21 PM 03-25-2016
Originally Posted by NightOwl:
I agree. This is a really strange thread. I would have had this woman arrested on day ONE of this debacle, not kept my child enrolled with her for another full week, which gave her 7 more days to medicate my child behind my back. No way. No job is worth endangering my kid (assuming the fear of losing her job was the "reason" for keeping her child enrolled).
Like I said, things are much easier said than done. In hind-sight, i would probably do things differently. Maybe reacted faster, maybe have her arrested, but I did not know the things I know, on March 2nd. I didn't not have the research I've done on March 2nd. I know this is hard to grasp, but I did consider her a good friend of mine, and someone I trusted with my children. I saw her daily for the last 1.5 years. She was very active in the law enforcement community. So any illegal activity was the last thing I could think of. I kept thinking there must be a reasonable explanation. 1 week is rather quick (I was very lucky) to find quality care, with my guard up... as most other preschools in my area has waiting lists. I did not come here for judgements, I came here for advice.
NeedaVaca 01:28 PM 03-25-2016
No I didn't skim. If I had found this out about a provider, took her to my pediatrician who says it's child assault my first call would have been the police. I'm sorry but no one will take my child to a Dr and get medication. Police and lawyers would have been notified on day one, the daycare would likely be closed for investigation immediately, no other children would be there and possibly at the risk of serious harm. Every day she is operating there is that risk. You found out 3/2 didn't give notice until 3/13 and it's now 3/25. It's a very serious allegation with no real sense of urgency.
Thriftylady 01:35 PM 03-25-2016
No I didn't skim. If I had found this out about a provider, took her to my pediatrician who says it's child assault my first call would have been the police. I'm sorry but no one will take my child to a Dr and get medication. Police and lawyers would have been notified on day one, the daycare would likely be closed for investigation immediately, no other children would be there and possibly at the risk of serious harm. Every day she is operating there is that risk. You found out 3/2 didn't give notice until 3/13 and it's now 3/25. It's a very serious allegation with no real sense of urgency.
As a provider I would do that also. But I think back to when DS was little. I was a new and young parent. I am not sure I would have known to. Now, I would, and I likely would have seven years later when DD was born. But when DS was in daycare, I honestly had this crazy idea they could do as they chose. I never heard of a contract or handbook. Never heard of them seven years later when DD was born! Two years after that when I started daycare I had a contract but bare basics. I guess my point is that you don't know what you don't know. I will say the second parent in this should have pulled already since she has been put on notice. She has the information.
mka_mommy 01:46 PM 03-25-2016
If you'd like to know my personal calendar here it is. 3/02 - she brought my daughter to the doctor. I left work immediately and took her to her pediatrician and was with her for the rest of the day. 3/03 - 3/04 she was with my aunt who offered to watch them because I reached out to her about my situation. 3/07 My father was off and offered to watch my children. 3/08-3/10 I switched my schedule from 5AM - 12PM (had to request partial days) so I could pick them up by 1PM. I made arrangements the best I could. While calling around speaking with different daycares through out that week. 3/11 I took the day off to tour a preschool facility in which my children were with me. 3/13 was a Sunday - and Monday 3/14 my children were no longer attending that daycare. All has been very well documented.

Being a working mother, who also recently switched jobs it proved to be difficult, and I am very lucky to have the help of my family. So yes. There was a sense of urgency. It's easy to cast judgment on others when you aren't in their shoes.
Rockgirl 01:54 PM 03-25-2016
Why did the provider take your child to the dr? What symptoms....had she mentioned symptoms that needed checking out? I am NOT excusing her taking the child. Just wondering.
mka_mommy 01:55 PM 03-25-2016
And with all of this, I didn't want to raise any alarms with my DCP. She questioned why I was taking off early, it was all a very strange time for me. I just knew I didn't want my kids there anymore.

I didn't begin to see how crazy she was until 3/22 - 3/24 text messages when she wouldn't provide the signed contract. I was ready to just give her the money, but when she began to tell these over the top lies about being in chemo and in the hospital for 5 days so she can't provide the contract... something was completely off.

Reading this over, it is unbelievable. I haven't even gone into detail of the texts she has sent me.
mka_mommy 01:57 PM 03-25-2016
Why did the provider take your child to the dr? What symptoms....had she mentioned symptoms that needed checking out? I am NOT excusing her taking the child. Just wondering.
No symptoms. I asked her what made her bring her to the doctor... she told me that she was brought her daughter (highschool daughter) to her appointment, and she had my youngest with her... WHICH IS NOT OKAY! And the doctor checked her.

this is so unbelievable. I'm scratching my head, i still can't believe this has happened to me.
NightOwl 02:07 PM 03-25-2016
If you'd like to know my personal calendar here it is. 3/02 - she brought my daughter to the doctor. I left work immediately and took her to her pediatrician and was with her for the rest of the day. 3/03 - 3/04 she was with my aunt who offered to watch them because I reached out to her about my situation. 3/07 My father was off and offered to watch my children. 3/08-3/10 I switched my schedule from 5AM - 12PM (had to request partial days) so I could pick them up by 1PM. I made arrangements the best I could. While calling around speaking with different daycares through out that week. 3/11 I took the day off to tour a preschool facility in which my children were with me. 3/13 was a Sunday - and Monday 3/14 my children were no longer attending that daycare. All has been very well documented.

Being a working mother, who also recently switched jobs it proved to be difficult, and I am very lucky to have the help of my family. So yes. There was a sense of urgency. It's easy to cast judgment on others when you aren't in their shoes.
No its easy to cast judgements when you didn't give us the full story and left a LOT to the imagination. You're just now telling us that, during that last week, the children were rarely in care. They were with family instead. Hopefully you can see that that's a critical piece of information?

I think I get where you're coming from. You trusted her. You couldn't imagine a world where she would go behind your back or be so brazen as to assume she could seek medical care for your child. I think your trust in her blinded you to the dangers happening. Unfortunately, it happens to a lot of new moms, so you are not alone.
SnowGirl 02:08 PM 03-25-2016
As a provider I would do that also. But I think back to when DS was little. I was a new and young parent. I am not sure I would have known to. Now, I would, and I likely would have seven years later when DD was born. But when DS was in daycare, I honestly had this crazy idea they could do as they chose. I never heard of a contract or handbook. Never heard of them seven years later when DD was born! Two years after that when I started daycare I had a contract but bare basics. I guess my point is that you don't know what you don't know. I will say the second parent in this should have pulled already since she has been put on notice. She has the information.
I have a very unassuming and forgiving personality, and I'm exactly the type of mother who might not immediately think to report this provider, ESPECIALLY if I considered them a friend. It would be very difficult for my mind to formulate the reality that something illegal was happening.

We don't know how OP's conversations went and how strong the alarm bells were in reality...I just know that I can entirely see myself in OP's shoes. As much as I want to see myself as mama bear...I'm benefit of the doubt bear instead. (Although my true mama bear instincts have yet to be put to the test and I pray they won't have to be for a good long while, if ever).

OP, I'm sure you're doing the best you can and that this whole thing has your head reeling. Again, I'm just glad your children are out of that daycare.
Unregistered 02:54 PM 03-25-2016

Me too. Getting prescription med's for someone else's kid ?? That's just SO weird!
Snowmom 01:43 PM 03-26-2016

I just wanted to point out that this statement is not true (totally not picking on you).

If both parties signed the contract, it is valid regardless if one of those parties failed to make (or receive) a copy.
If one party is holding the other signee accountable for a breach of contract, then the first party does need to prove that there has been a breach, which is where furnishing them a copy comes into play.

Also, in our business, there's also the Parent Handbook. Which should in essence, break down our contract in more detail and in some cases where a signed contract is not provided, a handbook has served as proof of policies breached.
I realize not all providers offer both a Handbook and a contract, but this is one reason why it's valuable.
none 02:27 PM 03-26-2016
No symptoms. I asked her what made her bring her to the doctor... she told me that she was brought her daughter (highschool daughter) to her appointment, and she had my youngest with her... WHICH IS NOT OKAY! And the doctor checked her.

this is so unbelievable. I'm scratching my head, i still can't believe this has happened to me.
Hell, unless I have an appt, the doctor here won't look at any sibling unless they're so sick it's glaringly obvious. I can't believe that a Dr. Would look at a child even with a POA without an appointment for that child. Even if that doc was a friend. Something is waaaay off here. Amoxicillin btw is an antibiotic. Are you saying you believe the dcp wanted to drug the kid to sleep with it? Or are you saying that in addition to getting an illegally obtained antibiotic, you suspect the dcp is giving allergy meds and has been, to all the kids and this obtaining of new meds is what brought you the red flag?
If you haven't called cps or police, do it now.
Rockgirl 05:50 AM 03-27-2016
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I just wanted to point out that this statement is not true (totally not picking on you).

If both parties signed the contract, it is valid regardless if one of those parties failed to make (or receive) a copy.
If one party is holding the other signee accountable for a breach of contract, then the first party does need to prove that there has been a breach, which is where furnishing them a copy comes into play.

Also, in our business, there's also the Parent Handbook. Which should in essence, break down our contract in more detail and in some cases where a signed contract is not provided, a handbook has served as proof of policies breached.
I realize not all providers offer both a Handbook and a contract, but this is one reason why it's valuable.
It was so heavily stressed in my business law class about both parties receiving a copy, that I got it in my head it was a requirement. It's definitely a good idea to have a copy of the original signed copy, though, and it stinks that the provider won't produce it.
sleepinghart 08:37 AM 03-27-2016
I want to make sure there are no misunderstandings about what I'm saying before I even start; so first I want to say that I am not taking up for the provider in what I'm about to say. I'm simply trying to wrap my head around why any provider would do something as extreme, or as wrong; I am not excusing her, she was wrong in what she did. I am also really confused about a number of things so I'm gonna ask and hopefully OP can clear them up.

Usually, when someone does something wrong, and they know they've done wrong, they try to hide it. What's weird here is that this provider didn't; instead she was very open about it and acted like it was no big deal. She texted your Mom asking what pharmacy you used(which that is an admission in itself). So I'm thinking that she herself thought it was no big deal. You keep saying that you two were friends, and your child had been in her care for 1.5 years, so I'm just wondering if in her mind she thought she was doing you a favor(maybe a favor as a 'friend', not a dc provider)...even thinking you'd be appreciative maybe?
Another thing you keep mentioning is that you yourself took your child to the MD about one week before the provider took her- Did you communicate with her about this? Did the symptoms that caused you to take her to the MD in the first place continue after the visit? Had the provider been saying anything to you about your child's symptoms or voiced any concerns over her health? Once again, not that any of the answers to these questions make what the provider did right...She was wrong. Just trying to wrap my head around the whole situation & her thinking...Not that her thinking makes her right because it doesn't...She was wrong.

With regards to those texts or emails she sent you about being sick or having cancer- that in itself tells me a lot about this person. Not only were they very unprofessional, they were also the work of an unstable mind. ...IMHO.

About the 2K in fees she's claiming you owe...Is that late fees only or late + other fees? If so, what kind? How many times have you been late? Do any of the papers that you do have explain any fees she charges? I'm also curious as to why you didn't tell the provider immediately, or at least soon after, that you were not bringing your kids back to her because if I'm understanding correctly, after you found out what she did you didn't say anything to her you just kept your kids mostly some place else for a week?

When you've questioned her about why she took your child to the doctor, what does she say? Same with the fees...When you ask what they are for, what does she say? Also, about the term notice- A 2-week notice is pretty standard practice so it's not that far of a stretch to guess that she most likely had one.
Thriftylady 01:51 PM 03-27-2016
Originally Posted by sleepinghart:
I want to make sure there are no misunderstandings about what I'm saying before I even start; so first I want to say that I am not taking up for the provider in what I'm about to say. I'm simply trying to wrap my head around why any provider would do something as extreme, or as wrong; I am not excusing her, she was wrong in what she did. I am also really confused about a number of things so I'm gonna ask and hopefully OP can clear them up.

Usually, when someone does something wrong, and they know they've done wrong, they try to hide it. What's weird here is that this provider didn't; instead she was very open about it and acted like it was no big deal. She texted your Mom asking what pharmacy you used(which that is an admission in itself). So I'm thinking that she herself thought it was no big deal. You keep saying that you two were friends, and your child had been in her care for 1.5 years, so I'm just wondering if in her mind she thought she was doing you a favor(maybe a favor as a 'friend', not a dc provider)...even thinking you'd be appreciative maybe?
Another thing you keep mentioning is that you yourself took your child to the MD about one week before the provider took her- Did you communicate with her about this? Did the symptoms that caused you to take her to the MD in the first place continue after the visit? Had the provider been saying anything to you about your child's symptoms or voiced any concerns over her health? Once again, not that any of the answers to these questions make what the provider did right...She was wrong. Just trying to wrap my head around the whole situation & her thinking...Not that her thinking makes her right because it doesn't...She was wrong.

With regards to those texts or emails she sent you about being sick or having cancer- that in itself tells me a lot about this person. Not only were they very unprofessional, they were also the work of an unstable mind. ...IMHO.

About the 2K in fees she's claiming you owe...Is that late fees only or late + other fees? If so, what kind? How many times have you been late? Do any of the papers that you do have explain any fees she charges? I'm also curious as to why you didn't tell the provider immediately, or at least soon after, that you were not bringing your kids back to her because if I'm understanding correctly, after you found out what she did you didn't say anything to her you just kept your kids mostly some place else for a week?

When you've questioned her about why she took your child to the doctor, what does she say? Same with the fees...When you ask what they are for, what does she say? Also, about the term notice- A 2-week notice is pretty standard practice so it's not that far of a stretch to guess that she most likely had one.

The part I bolded is very true, but I am wondering if it would stand up in a court if the OP's facts are right. Regardless when it comes to the safety of the child if the OP has all the facts right, two weeks is a small price to pay!
Unregistered 02:06 PM 03-27-2016
Are the late fees for late pu or late payment?
Josiegirl 02:14 PM 03-27-2016
The part I bolded is very true, but I am wondering if it would stand up in a court if the OP's facts are right. Regardless when it comes to the safety of the child if the OP has all the facts right, two weeks is a small price to pay!
There should be a clause in that contract stating if the provider loses her mind 2 week term is not expected.
If I'm understanding all OP has said, the provider has done some extremely questionable things and would have a terribly hard time in court proving she's on the up and up, KWIM? I know OP's child comes first and foremost in this situation, of course. But that provider should not have gotten another penny as soon as she was caught trying to get a prescription for OP's dd.
Thriftylady 02:19 PM 03-27-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
There should be a clause in that contract stating if the provider loses her mind 2 week term is not expected.
If I'm understanding all OP has said, the provider has done some extremely questionable things and would have a terribly hard time in court proving she's on the up and up, KWIM? I know OP's child comes first and foremost in this situation, of course. But that provider should not have gotten another penny as soon as she was caught trying to get a prescription for OP's dd.
Exactly. I am thinking I would let her sue me and see what happens!
mommyneedsadayoff 12:03 PM 03-28-2016
This is a really bizarre situation. Do you know for sure that she took your dd to the doctor and had her looked at or did she just go with to the appt? (is it the same doc you go to or a new one? New docs would require paperwork and medical history to be filled out) The reason I ask is because it just does not seem possible for her to have your daughter seen and prescribed meds without going through insurance, especially if it is with a doctor your dd does not go to. My pharmacy and doctor ask for my insurance card every time I go (been going there for 15 years), so how was she able to get any meds unless she paid out of pocket? This may sound weird, but it is almost like she was trying to use your daughter and medical coverage to get prescriptions for herself (or her own children). Maybe not, but just a thought I had. I definitely don't agree with taking some one else kid to the doc and giving them meds, but I don't see the malicious or negative intent behind getting a prescription like amoxocillin. And like someone else said, if she thought she did something wrong, she wouldn't have been so open about all of it. She obviously made mistakes, but I am wondering if her actions had good intention behind it and if she even realized she had done something wrong. Why do you think she is drugging kids with allergy meds (my allergy meds actually make me hyper, not drowsy), to make them sleep. I guess I just see that as a VERY bad and dangerous, but I don't think the doc thing and the amoxicillin are that big of a deal...weird, but harmless.

I am not trying to be on her side, but I just find this whole thread to be so strange. You have no issues for over a year and love her, but this one situation of the doc visit had led to you thinking she is drugging your kids, insane, and not fit to run a daycare. People can be great at hiding stuff, but it doesn't seem like this woman was trying to hide anything. This either means she is very naive on what is allowed/appropriate or not allowed in daycare, or she may very well have mental health issues.

My brother is bipolar and I say this without knowing your dcp, so please take it with a grain of salt, but her extreme behavior change sounds like something bigger is going on. My brother will make up all sorts of stuff and is an unrecognizable person from the guy I know and love when he has an episode. Luckily, he keeps up on his meds and has not had any issues in the last 10 years, but it can be a scary and eye opening experience. Possibly this is an issue with your provider, or maybe she is having a sort of breakdown or something? I would just document everything and let her sue or not. There is not much else you can do at this point. Focus on moving forward and I hope it all works out for you!
sleepinghart 06:45 AM 03-29-2016
(^bold^ made by me)

I totally agree. I was wondering the same thing...If it would stand up in court because of the circumstances, but I have no idea; I was gonna leave that part up to the more experienced in that area providers.
sleepinghart 07:12 AM 03-29-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
This is a really bizarre situation. Do you know for sure that she took your dd to the doctor and had her looked at or did she just go with to the appt? (is it the same doc you go to or a new one? New docs would require paperwork and medical history to be filled out) The reason I ask is because it just does not seem possible for her to have your daughter seen and prescribed meds without going through insurance, especially if it is with a doctor your dd does not go to. My pharmacy and doctor ask for my insurance card every time I go (been going there for 15 years), so how was she able to get any meds unless she paid out of pocket? This may sound weird, but it is almost like she was trying to use your daughter and medical coverage to get prescriptions for herself (or her own children). Maybe not, but just a thought I had. I definitely don't agree with taking some one else kid to the doc and giving them meds, but I don't see the malicious or negative intent behind getting a prescription like amoxocillin. And like someone else said, if she thought she did something wrong, she wouldn't have been so open about all of it. She obviously made mistakes, but I am wondering if her actions had good intention behind it and if she even realized she had done something wrong. Why do you think she is drugging kids with allergy meds (my allergy meds actually make me hyper, not drowsy), to make them sleep. I guess I just see that as a VERY bad and dangerous, but I don't think the doc thing and the amoxicillin are that big of a deal...weird, but harmless.

I am not trying to be on her side, but I just find this whole thread to be so strange. You have no issues for over a year and love her, but this one situation of the doc visit had led to you thinking she is drugging your kids, insane, and not fit to run a daycare. People can be great at hiding stuff, but it doesn't seem like this woman was trying to hide anything. This either means she is very naive on what is allowed/appropriate or not allowed in daycare, or she may very well have mental health issues.

My brother is bipolar and I say this without knowing your dcp, so please take it with a grain of salt, but her extreme behavior change sounds like something bigger is going on. My brother will make up all sorts of stuff and is an unrecognizable person from the guy I know and love when he has an episode. Luckily, he keeps up on his meds and has not had any issues in the last 10 years, but it can be a scary and eye opening experience. Possibly this is an issue with your provider, or maybe she is having a sort of breakdown or something? I would just document everything and let her sue or not. There is not much else you can do at this point. Focus on moving forward and I hope it all works out for you!
(^bolding^by me)
I pretty much agree & ...especially the bolded parts.
daycarediva 09:55 AM 03-29-2016
Originally Posted by sleepinghart:

When I was legally unlicensed I took a child to their pediatrician for what I thought was an ear infection. (It was, double infection). This was prior to regular texting, I didn't even own a cell, and I had a form on file for medical care with our pediatrician. Mom and I were neighbors/close and she considered it huge favor as she would have to miss work to take him. I told her when she picked up, and she got his meds from the pharmacy. I also took him to his follow up appt, gave him antibiotics and tylenol, etc. Very different from now! (8+ years ago)
Angelsj 11:25 AM 03-29-2016
California
Interesting thread. But if you are in California, why does your profile say Colorado? Just curious.
Michelle 02:26 PM 04-07-2016
wow! This whole thread is scary
I once had a mom give me a bottle of melatonin and told me to give it to her kid if he is hyper or to help him sleep
I gave it right back to her
I am a provider in Calif. and all allergy medicine is really frowned upon around here.
anyways did you ask your friend who still has a kid enrolled to take her kid to the police to have him tested if you suspect she is doping the kids?
lblanke 03:37 AM 12-02-2017
If you don't get a copy when you sign something, take a picture with your cell phone.

Not an attorney, but from high school civics, a contract is valid if there is an offer (watching your child), acceptance (yes) and consideration (usually $ but any form of payment). It cam be verbal or written. If written, both parties should receive a copy but it's no less valid if they don't.
lblanke 03:37 AM 12-02-2017
Oops really old thread
Tags:2016, advice for parents, helpful tips, legal issues
Reply Up