Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help! Parents Don't Want Me to Offer 9 Month Old Formula...
patd34 12:08 PM 09-22-2018
I have a part timer who doesn't want their 9 month old to have any formula while in my care they want him provided food only from 7:45 to 12:45. Sometimes pick up is as late as 3. I have searched for licensing guidelines for infant feeding that say that formula or breastmilk is reauired but havent seen anything other than cacfp that says I have to. Does anyone know of any specific regulations on this applying to in home care?
rosieteddy 04:01 PM 09-22-2018
What kind of food is offered.? He would need water to drink at least.I would insist on a note from the Dr. stating that it is ok with them,What is their reasoning.
patd34 05:30 PM 09-22-2018
They send him with baby food, mostly fruit and veggies and told me to feed him what I feed my other kids. Along with the baby food I feed him scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, pureed meats... They provide a sippy cup with water. I asked why and she said their social worker and his doctors all okayed him not getting formula for the period he is in care but didn't say why. I'm going to follow up with licensing on Monday but was hoping to find a regulation in writing somewhere but no luck so far.
nannyde 04:35 AM 09-23-2018
Parent's (or Doctor's and social workers for that matter) can't give you permission to do the wrong thing.

Tell her that you would need a written statement from the Doctor BEFORE he returns stating that the child can go from 7:45 am to 3 pm without formula or breast milk and WHY. This way you would know the reasoning before saying no to that.

Is he on formula at home? If so, I would wonder if she is on WIC and at his age he is consuming more formula than what she is given. She doesn't want to use what she gets free at your house.

I think she is lying. She doesn't want to provide the formula or breast milk. Even on the short days, five hours is way too long for an infant to go without formula even if he ate before leaving.

If he is breastfed, I would be curious to know if he is nipple trained for a bottle. She may be using the sippy cup at your house so you can train him to use a sippy cup.

She needs to bring a BOTTLE and either formula or breast milk every day. I would require at least 16 oz. and if it is breast milk, I would just return the unused portion to her at pick up.

I don't know what state you are in but from my review of all 50 states, it is common for the states to put in the regulations that the provider must comply with the minimum standards of the CCAFP. Some states, I believe Texas is one, actually spells out their nutritional needs by age.

Have you tried giving him a bottle? What bottle does he use at home? If he is on formula at home and he is nipple trained on a bottle, I would be tempted to just offer the formula he uses at home for free. See if she is okay with that if you want to keep the money and not fight the fight.

We have California providers here. They may be able to help you find the regulation. Sheesh California is crazy strict so I would be shocked it isn't in their ever changing yet current regulations.
Blackcat31 07:13 AM 09-23-2018
Originally Posted by jessicanoes:
They send him with baby food, mostly fruit and veggies and told me to feed him what I feed my other kids. Along with the baby food I feed him scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, pureed meats... They provide a sippy cup with water. I asked why and she said their social worker and his doctors all okayed him not getting formula for the period he is in care but didn't say why. I'm going to follow up with licensing on Monday but was hoping to find a regulation in writing somewhere but no luck so far.
Why is a social worker and doctorS (more than one?) involved?
284878 11:38 AM 09-23-2018
Are you on the Food Program? Do you provide formula or do you require the parents too?
patd34 01:18 PM 09-23-2018
They are foster parents. He had an accident/medical emergency a few months ago and they follow up with doctors regularly.

I already offered to pay for whatever brand of formula she wants to use but she still doesnt want him to have it and she wouldn't give a why.

I haven't offered him a bottle and don't want to without their okay but after reviewing cacfp I realize this needs to be addressed. I texted her this morning and asked for a doctors note before he resumes care and she hasn't replied.

This is a learning experience for sure. I did find infant feeding guidelines for child care CENTERS in California but the handbook says the regulations don't apply to child care homes. And the child care homes handbook doesnt mention anything at all. Frustrating.
Blackcat31 06:41 PM 09-23-2018
Ask to speak with the social worker.
He/she can verify the child’s diet restrictions and/or requirements with baby’s doctor. You can get it on paper.
coloradoprovider 06:04 AM 09-24-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Ask to speak with the social worker.
He/she can verify the child’s diet restrictions and/or requirements with baby’s doctor. You can get it on paper.
You absolutely should require that the doctor give you a signed note as to the no formula request. I would want acceptable substitutes in the signed note as well.
Cat Herder 06:30 AM 09-24-2018
Personally, I'd keep it simple.

"Sorry, I must offer formula until 12 months. I can, however, give it in a sippy cup at both AM and PM snacks. I don't require it be given in a bottle. At 12 months, we can transition to cows milk."
hwichlaz 09:35 AM 09-24-2018
The only thing I can think of is that he's on a diet specifying exactly how much he gets per day and it's easiest for them to monitor that from home. But I'd still want a note.

I have a little one like that. Though she gets two bottles a day at my house and I snap a pic after to show how much is left so parents can keep track and know how much to give her at home. BUT, she's FTT and is on 33 cal per ounce formula. So it's super rich and too much would hurt her kidneys....once she's had her formula for the day we're to offer water and other foods, but she's stubborn, has no appetite, and we usually struggle to make sure she gets enough to begin with.
patd34 06:43 PM 09-24-2018
Well I asked for a doctor's note and she never responded and didn't show up for care this morning. I contacted licensing and they said as long as he's getting food, it doesn't matter what it is and there is nothing anywhere that is enforceable that says infants need formula. I called and left a message for his social worker. Still no call back.

I could understand if he was on a specific diet but she never asks what he's eaten and never gave me guidelines other than sending him with babyfood and telling me to feed him what I feed my kids.
Cat Herder 05:23 AM 09-25-2018
What are the risk factors for iron deficiency in children?
Infants and children at highest risk of iron deficiency include:

Untreated iron deficiency can affect a child's growth and development.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...y/art-20045634
Blackcat31 06:30 AM 09-25-2018
Originally Posted by patd34:
Well I asked for a doctor's note and she never responded and didn't show up for care this morning. I contacted licensing and they said as long as he's getting food, it doesn't matter what it is and there is nothing anywhere that is enforceable that says infants need formula. I called and left a message for his social worker. Still no call back.

I could understand if he was on a specific diet but she never asks what he's eaten and never gave me guidelines other than sending him with babyfood and telling me to feed him what I feed my kids.
It may not be addressed in licensing regulations but I would not be comfortable being part of this without a doctor's written statement and/or documentation from the social worker.

I wouldn't care what licensing "says" as their word won't protect you so I would be leery of taking what they "said".
Unregistered 10:27 AM 09-30-2018
If he is in foster care he may not be bottle trained at all. They may not have wanted to even bother trying to formula feed him or get him on a bottle and went right to baby foods. Especially if he is not expected to be a long term placement for them.
Pestle 07:36 PM 09-30-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If he is in foster care he may not be bottle trained at all. They may not have wanted to even bother trying to formula feed him or get him on a bottle and went right to baby foods. Especially if he is not expected to be a long term placement for them.
That's a good insight.
hwichlaz 07:38 AM 10-01-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

How would offering while at daycare hurt though? He may just not take it, but he can be offered. He's obviously taking in liquids somehow.
Tags:formula, formula - to what age
Reply Up