Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2 
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>This Is Crazy Cool
nannyde 03:46 AM 03-30-2011
http://www.raptorresource.org/falcon_cams/

It is a live webcam of an bald eagle’s nest. The eggs are set to hatch on Friday!
My Lil' Monkeys 03:51 AM 03-30-2011
Thanks for sharing... Love this!! Can't wait to share it with my kids
morgan24 03:52 AM 03-30-2011
That is cool. We have been watching the ones at www.ustream.tv/decoraheagleshttp:// They are going to hatch any day.
Cat Herder 04:00 AM 03-30-2011
It was fun watching the Momma in her nest until the man pouring himself a cup of coffee reminded me I don't have any this morning.....

Let me guess, his name was Murphy?
daycare 08:19 AM 03-30-2011
wow this is amazing...
My DCk and I are watching it and they have me rolling on the floor. They keep trying to scare the bird away by spooking it. They think it can hear them. lol so cute.

I wish I was going to be home on Friday. I will be closing for the first time this year.
nikia 08:22 AM 03-30-2011
My ds who is in kindergarten has been watching this at school they check in every few hours. She is so excited for Friday.
Lilbutterflie 09:10 AM 03-30-2011
This is awesome! Thanks for sharing! About this time last year we had some birds lay a nest in our backyard barbeque, and the kids got the see the baby birds when they hatched. It was such a wonderful experience. I put out some bird houses recently so hopefully the same mating pair will return, but choose the birdhouses instead of inside our barbeque!!
Lucy 09:30 AM 03-30-2011
Here's another one. They show it on the local news here several times a day. There are 4 eggs that were laid March 22nd.

http://www.kgw.com/lifestyle/raptor-cam
Stacy214 09:32 AM 03-30-2011
Love this!! Thank you for sharing!!!
dEHmom 09:58 AM 03-30-2011
that's awesome. thanks for sharing!

kids are enjoying it right now.

sometimes i wonder what is going through an animals head! lol. They have no one to answer to or anything, and it's neat how they just do whatever they want. One of the birds is sitting there tilting his head back and forth. like he's exercising.
Blackcat31 10:03 AM 03-30-2011
We watch the eagles of Hornby Island. http://www.hornbyeagles.com/webcam.htm

Last year they had 2 eggs and one never hatched and then the one little guy that did hatch named Phoenix eas doing great and just a few days before he was getting ready to fly, he dropped dead..... It was sort of dis-heartening because I had never seen an eagle cam before.....

Here are live web-cam sites for bears from the North American Bear Center not far from my house http://www.bear.org/website/
and the wolf cam in the same town from the Wolf Center http://www.wolf.org/wolves/experience/webcam.asp
Symphony 10:05 AM 03-30-2011
We have been enjoying this too! I have 6 kids today and the oldest is 3, so our conversations have been pretty simple, but we have concluded that the mama has a beak, feathers, and eyes. She has three eggs to keep warm, and the Daddy bird is at work

Mama eagle rearranged her nest a lot while we were watching, so I'm pretty sure the kids think she eats grass. We also heard an airplane fly over and they were frustrated that we couldn't look up to see the plane
gkids09 10:44 AM 03-31-2011
We were just watching the mama eagle. I gave them a choice between watching her and doing puzzles (they all LOVE puzzles) and they wanted to watch her!

Several of them asked where the daddy bird was, so I told them he was at work...lol She moved one time and they got to see the eggs. They thought that was the coolest thing ever! You should have seen them pointing and squealing.

I am planning on showing them again tomorrow. I really hope they hatch tomorrow and not over the weekend! It'd be such a great learning experience for them!

Nannyde, thank you SO much for the link!!

I will be checking out the others that previous posters put up as well!
KEG123 11:08 AM 03-31-2011
I've seen one similar, a bear den and her cubs, and a horse in a stall waiting to birth.
Unregistered 11:10 AM 03-31-2011
My kids love this site!
thecrazyisout 11:36 AM 03-31-2011
BTW, did you see how manyviewers there are? Crazy, like 50000. I bet there are way more tomorrow
Kaddidle Care 11:38 AM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
That is cool. We have been watching the ones at www.ustream.tv/decoraheagleshttp:// They are going to hatch any day.
They are the same ones! hehe!
I've been watching them too - we have local Eagles here - they have 2 eaglets already as our female lays her eggs in January - she is THE early bird! hehe!

I heard there are a couple of rabbits in the nest.. not so sure I want to see that!

OH eeek - lower left hand side of the nest - wabbit! They are panning in and out with the camera today.
nannyde 12:12 PM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
They are the same ones! hehe!
I've been watching them too - we have local Eagles here - they have 2 eaglets already as our female lays her eggs in January - she is THE early bird! hehe!

I heard there are a couple of rabbits in the nest.. not so sure I want to see that!

OH eeek - lower left hand side of the nest - wabbit! They are panning in and out with the camera today.
Definitely a wabbit in the lower left. Saving it for supper I'm sure.
momatheart 12:14 PM 03-31-2011
www.bear.org Lilly and her cubs. Super cool. We watched the first cub be born last year. Hope is her name she is the bigger of the 3.
Evansmom 12:16 PM 03-31-2011
Thanks for those links! My kids will definatly be watching and loving it!
momofboys 12:19 PM 03-31-2011
Thank you for sharing!
nannyde 05:08 AM 04-01-2011
They are supposed to hatch today so if anyone sees it happening please post. I should have taken today off.

It's the most exciting thing that's happened to me in months.
dEHmom 05:13 AM 04-01-2011
I've made my browsers smaller so the bird is constantly on the screen. If we see anything we will post
Lilbutterflie 05:24 AM 04-01-2011
My computer is in the playroom, and I'll have it on all day. We also have the volume turned up, so if the monitor goes on screen saver mode, we'll be able to hear if something is happening.

The kids are all excited, I will feel so terrible if it doesn't happen today! I wonder if it's like OB's telling you your due date; something like only 10% of babies are actually born on their due date. Or is it pretty accurate to say they will hatch today? I'm hoping the latter.
Lilbutterflie 05:25 AM 04-01-2011
That rabbit is still in the nest...it appears to have been untouched from what I can see. I wonder if she is saving it for them when they hatch??
Lilbutterflie 05:26 AM 04-01-2011
The daddy's in the nest! She just stepped off the eggs and they are chirping at them together!!!
dEHmom 05:26 AM 04-01-2011
nm. I thought they were going, cause the birdy got off the eggs, and was looking at them.
nannyde 05:28 AM 04-01-2011
How high is the nest?
About 80 feet.

How big is the nest?
5-6 feet across, about the same deep; it weighs about 1˝ tons.

How old is the nest?
The eagles built it in 2007. A previous nest close by fell when a windstorm broke one of the branches.
momofsix 05:41 AM 04-01-2011
My kids are mesmerized! Thanks for the link!
Stacy214 05:56 AM 04-01-2011
I got on the "chat" part last night and learned alot!!! I am loving this, so exciting and also, I believe one of the eggs has already started
SilverSabre25 07:10 AM 04-01-2011
LOTS of movement going on in that nest! I can't tell if it's mama or papa eagle on the eggs right now, but whoever it is is very restless and keeps shifting around.
Maddy'sMommy 07:40 AM 04-01-2011
just got to see the eggs when the mama (or papa, can't tell) got up to shift around. Thanks for sharing!
MyAngels 07:59 AM 04-01-2011
They have a video on youtube of the pip (the holes in the eggs) as they are hatching. It's pretty cool to watch this, we've had it up on the both computers here for the past couple of days.
nannyde 08:07 AM 04-01-2011
It's addicting
dEHmom 08:07 AM 04-01-2011
# of viewers has grown !

And I'm thinking, there is 5 of us right now watching on one computer. You guys all have #'s watching on one computer! think of how many are ACTUALLY watching
nannyde 08:47 AM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
# of viewers has grown !

And I'm thinking, there is 5 of us right now watching on one computer. You guys all have #'s watching on one computer! think of how many are ACTUALLY watching
We thought something was happening a few minutes ago but the Mama sat right back down.

False alarm

We can't get anything done today so we just gave up. I hope and pray they hatch while the kids are here. fingers crossed

If they hatch at nap I will HAVE to break my own nap rule... at least with the biggins.
dEHmom 08:56 AM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
We thought something was happening a few minutes ago but the Mama sat right back down.

False alarm

We can't get anything done today so we just gave up. I hope and pray they hatch while the kids are here. fingers crossed

If they hatch at nap I will HAVE to break my own nap rule... at least with the biggins.
there is a pause button, although I am not sure exactly if it will pick up from where it left off, or if it'll update to live again.
Lilbutterflie 09:14 AM 04-01-2011
The pause button just picks up live when you push play again. But it will freeze the screen if someone is missing something cool!
MyAngels 09:38 AM 04-01-2011
I did see they also have a video of last year's babies on youtube, too, so If we miss it I'll bet we'll be able to see it there later. I sure hope something cool happens while the kids are here, though!
nannyde 09:43 AM 04-01-2011
120,000 + people watching

How cool is that?

Next year maybe Obama needs to give us a Raptor Day off so we can watch it all day and get paid to do it???? How bout that Mr President?
dEHmom 09:47 AM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I did see they also have a video of last year's babies on youtube, too, so If we miss it I'll bet we'll be able to see it there later. I sure hope something cool happens while the kids are here, though!
oh yeah, there is probably many videos of this. But it is pretty cool to know it's live. ykwim? actually seeing it real time is much different. And it's crazy to think how big these birds truly are! there are some pretty gigantic ones at our zoo. And I mean, you can't even tell how big they are unless they are right beside you! They are nearly as big as me!
dEHmom 10:30 AM 04-01-2011
almost 134 000 !
dEHmom 10:44 AM 04-01-2011
what is the black stuff? my dd thinks its a cat and told everyone that's what it is.
Stacy214 10:50 AM 04-01-2011
eh just noticed the black stuff, looks like fur. Momma is on now so I bet Dad's turn is coming up.
gkids09 10:55 AM 04-01-2011
Just saying...I'm REALLY glad to know I'm not the only one addicted to this!! When "Daddy Eagle" as the kids called him (or was it the mom??) came to the nest about 45 minutes ago, one shouted "LOOK!!! He's home from work!!" hahaha!!

The kids are sleeping now... I REALLY want them to hatch today so they can see!!!
dEHmom 10:58 AM 04-01-2011
is it guaranteed it is today? or could it be tomorrow or sunday?

I'm just wondering if i'm wasting my whole day for nada lol.

If i had older dck's i'd say they could stay this evening to watch at no charge IF they didn't have internet at home.

but because it's babies, they don't care. but the older kids are excited everytime they move the eggs around.
nannyde 11:01 AM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by Stacy214:
eh just noticed the black stuff, looks like fur. Momma is on now so I bet Dad's turn is coming up.
I know... what IS that?

I keep telling the brown pup and the white pup with one black eye to stay together in the back yard.

You never know when you could end up on Ustream in the bottom left corner of the screen... if ya know what I'm sayin
Stacy214 11:03 AM 04-01-2011
The Daddy is "prettier" (they both are in my eyes lol) but from what I have read the Momma has grayish around the eyes and Dad is more solid white.

They are saying that the hair is from the horses nearby...maybe to keep the babies warm. It's so windy
dEHmom 11:04 AM 04-01-2011
You never know when you could end up on Ustream in the bottom left corner of the screen... if ya know what I'm sayin
hahaha, i found a stray kitten 7 yrs ago. brand new. took it to the cabin with me, and had it on a leash while we were sitting around the yard.

there was a Falcon circling and we just looked up and saw it come swoop down!

snatched that cat up fast and falcon took off. MAN! that was scary.

eta: whoops, I snatched the kitten up, not the falcon
Stacy214 11:08 AM 04-01-2011
This is a video of the Dad bringing in the horse hair and you also get a glimpse of the first egg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9n12Bm9EY4
AnythingsPossible 11:09 AM 04-01-2011
Thanks to all who have posted links to the live feeds. My kids and daycare kids have been enjoying checking on them. Today is the first day we have watched the eagles nest. I wasn't sure they would care, but I have left the video feed up and they play, then come check on the nest, play, check and so on. One is very worried all the eggs will hatch during nap time. Very interesting. I would have never thought to have searched something like this. Thanks again.
nannyde 11:10 AM 04-01-2011
http://www.wvec.com/marketplace/micr...eagle-cam.html

one where they have hatched... very cool
dEHmom 11:57 AM 04-01-2011

one where they have hatched... very cool
that one is not a very good housekeeper lol.
nannyde 12:00 PM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
Thanks to all who have posted links to the live feeds. My kids and daycare kids have been enjoying checking on them. Today is the first day we have watched the eagles nest. I wasn't sure they would care, but I have left the video feed up and they play, then come check on the nest, play, check and so on. One is very worried all the eggs will hatch during nap time. Very interesting. I would have never thought to have searched something like this. Thanks again.
My kids are doing the same thing. The oldest is transfixed with it. We've learned more about Eagles in a couple of days then I've learned in my lifetime.

I didn't know they ate other birds What?????????????? It's going to take me a couple of days to get over that........................
dEHmom 12:07 PM 04-01-2011
I didn't know they ate other birds What?????????????? It's going to take me a couple of days to get over that........................
did I miss something? did it eat a bird?
nannyde 12:14 PM 04-01-2011
did I miss something? did it eat a bird?
No the other cam I linked to... that's the feathers off to the side of the birds.
dEHmom 12:15 PM 04-01-2011
i see the babies are eating now. amazing what i missed in 5 minutes of flipping laundry lol.
nannyde 12:19 PM 04-01-2011
i see the babies are eating now. amazing what i missed in 5 minutes of flipping laundry lol.

I might have to give up daycare.com so I have enough TIME to watch nests.
Symphony 12:23 PM 04-01-2011
Where is this? We are watching the nest and it is still mama just sitting on the eggs??
nannyde 12:29 PM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by Symphony:
Where is this? We are watching the nest and it is still mama just sitting on the eggs??
dEHmom 12:29 PM 04-01-2011
haha i've closed it a few times today because it was slowing my stream lol.

its the other link nannyde posted
nannyde 12:41 PM 04-01-2011
haha i've closed it a few times today because it was slowing my stream lol.

its the other link nannyde posted

whatevah you do... don't slow my stream
Symphony 12:41 PM 04-01-2011
Ok, sorry I'm being dense...these are two different nests right?
nannyde 12:43 PM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by Symphony:
Ok, sorry I'm being dense...these are two different nests right?
yes

the eggs just hatched a couple of days ago on the other
Stacy214 12:43 PM 04-01-2011
oh lawdy I don't think I can keep up with 2 nests
Lilbutterflie 12:49 PM 04-01-2011
Okay, I can't keep the kids cooped in the house any longer. We've got to go out to play now! Someone post if you see the hatchling, my phone will send me an email update!
nannyde 01:12 PM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by Stacy214:
oh lawdy I don't think I can keep up with 2 nests

I bet that eagle would like a Ustream Nannydehousecam to watch while she's hanging out doing her J. O. B. That has to get boring after a few weeks.

They should hang a laptop from a branch so they can have something to do while they wait. They could use their little beeks to click the mousepad.
Checkinkids.com 01:15 PM 04-01-2011
Awesome!!!
morgan24 01:53 PM 04-01-2011
I live on the river and we have several active eagles, I have a small dog and she can't be out without being watched. We had one eagle land on a branch and get a dead fish out of the river and eat it on the bank, we watched that for 1/2 hour. I always wondered why we never see many in the spring and now I know why. They are nesting. Very cool.
Symphony 02:09 PM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
I live on the river and we have several active eagles, I have a small dog and she can't be out without being watched. We had one eagle land on a branch and get a dead fish out of the river and eat it on the bank, we watched that for 1/2 hour. I always wondered why we never see many in the spring and now I know why. They are nesting. Very cool.
We raise cows, some sheep, and a couple pigs. Last year, we had a lamb die and before anyone could go get it out of the pasture, two bald eagles claimed it. It was at a perfect angle out my kitchen window that I could see the eagles, but not really the lamb. They are pretty amazing!
Stacy214 02:53 PM 04-01-2011

I bet that eagle would like a Ustream Nannydehousecam to watch while she's hanging out doing her J. O. B. That has to get boring after a few weeks.

They should hang a laptop from a branch so they can have something to do while they wait. They could use their little beeks to click the mousepad.

I know, she looks bored! haha
nannyde 03:41 PM 04-01-2011
My son has been watching this at school. He said:

The females head is dirtier than the males.
The female prefers the eggs to be in a straight line.
The male prefers the eggs to be in a triangle.
The female is bigger than the male.
They go back and forth side to side when they are sitting on the eggs to keep them the right temperature.
Kaddidle Care 04:45 PM 04-01-2011
Awesome observations! Many thanks to your son. May I share his observations with my friends?
momatheart 05:04 PM 04-01-2011
looks like one of the eggs has a hole on top of it.
nannyde 05:05 PM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Awesome observations! Many thanks to your son. May I share his observations with my friends?
sure
Kaddidle Care 05:13 PM 04-01-2011
Thanks! And yes, this morning I noticed a pip in the one egg but alas, it's night and not hatched yet.
SilverSabre25 05:26 PM 04-01-2011
Yep a couple hours ago the eagle was standing up and I spotted a little beak poking through the hole, but no baby eagle yet. My DD wants to take the laptop with us tomorrow when we go see my mom (she's still in a skilled nursing place) so we can show her the eagle.
Lilbutterflie 08:52 PM 04-01-2011
I just watched the PBS special on the Decorah Eagles. Pretty amazing. I highly recommend watching it!

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episo...-episode/4349/
Kaddidle Care 04:35 AM 04-02-2011
First hatchling is here! I saw some fuzzy under her and it says it was hatched today! Trying to get a screen capture but he/she doesn't get up high enough to do it. Dang!
Lilbutterflie 04:37 AM 04-02-2011
The BABY is here! Maybe born sometime last night or early this morning! So cute! Finally my kids get to see it; too bad the dck's won't get to see it until Monday...
momofsix 05:05 AM 04-02-2011
3 yo dcg called at 8 this morning saying "the egg is hatched! I was half asleep
I'm so glad the parents followed up so she got to see it! I'm still waiting to see the baby though, so far I've not been able to.
Lilbutterflie 06:01 AM 04-02-2011
Originally Posted by momofsix:
3 yo dcg called at 8 this morning saying "the egg is hatched! I was half asleep
I'm so glad the parents followed up so she got to see it! I'm still waiting to see the baby though, so far I've not been able to.
How cute that she was so excited she had to call you! Too bad it was 8a though...

Here is a link to the video of the baby hatching on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZSuXr6Yxqk

Thank you NannyDe for making me absolutely addicted. Now I'm tuned in to see if I catch the first feeding. Then I'll be tuned in for others to hatch, and it will always be something until they become fledglings!! Oh dear. LOL
nannyde 07:29 AM 04-02-2011
Originally Posted by lilbutterflie:
how cute that she was so excited she had to call you! Too bad it was 8a though...

Here is a link to the video of the baby hatching on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzsuxr6yxqk

thank you nannyde for making me absolutely addicted. Now i'm tuned in to see if i catch the first feeding. Then i'll be tuned in for others to hatch, and it will always be something until they become fledglings!! Oh dear. Lol
so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My son has been yelling at the screen "MOVE IT Eagle... You can see them anytime you want. Give US a chance" LMAO
MyAngels 07:45 AM 04-02-2011
Did you see the baby a minute ago? I went to grab a shower, and when I came back there it was, in close up. The other two eggs are not hatched yet, though.
snbauser 09:33 AM 04-02-2011
Anyone know why the camera is off air right now? We just got home from my son's band concert and wanted to check in on them.
MyAngels 12:45 PM 04-02-2011
I'm having a run of good timing today, I just turned it on again and the mom is feeding the baby from that rabbit that was in the nest. Cool.
Kaddidle Care 01:46 PM 04-02-2011
I just got to see the baby too! Awwwww!
Crystal 05:36 PM 04-02-2011
I didn't realize it was in someone's back yard! Too cool. In Iowa no less OR, is it a different one???

http://www.weather.com/outlook/video...backyard-20231
MyAngels 06:00 PM 04-02-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I didn't realize it was in someone's back yard! Too cool. In Iowa no less OR, is it a different one???

http://www.weather.com/outlook/video...backyard-20231
That's the same one, I think. Earlier today you could hear some kids playing in the background, and the mama was screeching, and she seemed a little agitated.
Lilbutterflie 05:14 AM 04-03-2011
Hatchling #2 was born!! The first one is so big already compared to this new little hatchling! How amazing...

Here is a link to the first glimpse of the 2nd baby. It's a long video, but I think we get the first glimpse starting at 8:00 minutes or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtMjcFyxHPc
nannyde 07:31 AM 04-03-2011
Mama's feeding right now
nannyde 10:54 AM 04-03-2011
They are showing the surrounding area........ the farm house and the river.

Iowa is so beautiful
nannyde 12:38 PM 04-03-2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N50wZxRk-ds

Mama feeding babies.
Stacy214 03:41 AM 04-04-2011
What do you think she's feeding the babies? Rabbit or bird? bleh
MyAngels 05:03 AM 04-04-2011
We just got to watch mom (I think) feeding the babies live. The kids were so excited!
SilverSabre25 08:22 AM 04-04-2011
Um, is that a dead rat in the nest?!?! The brown fuzzy thing with the rodent-like mouth?
sahm2three 08:32 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Um, is that a dead rat in the nest?!?! The brown fuzzy thing with the rodent-like mouth?
My dck's were asking me the same thing. It looks like a bird of some kind. Look at its feet!
SilverSabre25 08:36 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
My dck's were asking me the same thing. It looks like a bird of some kind. Look at its feet!
I was also wondering if it's a bat...the black stuff under the critter looks like it might be a bat wing.
MyAngels 11:47 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
My guess is that it's a muskrat, at least that's what it looks like.
SilverSabre25 11:51 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
My guess is that it's a muskrat, at least that's what it looks like.
ahhh, muskrat that's a good possibility. DH pointed out that it's a good deal bigger than a rat. Unless it's an ROUS (). I had forgotten to figure in the sheer size of the eagles.
Tags:bald eagle, eagle, nest, positive, webcam
1 2 
Reply Up