Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>At What Age
countrymom 10:01 AM 12-09-2010
should children know how to zip their coats up or put their shoes on. I have 5 yr olds who can't do either, and i know at school the teachers don't do it, which I don't blame them.
VTMom 10:07 AM 12-09-2010
My own 3 year old can, but the 4 1/2 year old I care for can't. Well... maybe can't is the wrong word - won't is more like it. Mom just recently started insisting on him putting on his own coat (not even zipping) and it's a major struggle. I have him at least try to zip (has to be a sincere try though) and if he can't manage, I do start it for him, mostly out of a time constraint. Good luck!
Blackcat31 10:44 AM 12-09-2010
I have four 3 year olds and they all know how. I don't know if that's normal or not because I also have a 20 month old DCG who can do it and a 6 year old Kindergarten DCB who can't........go figure!!
QualiTcare 11:13 AM 12-09-2010
they should be able to do that at 5 years old. make them carry their coat and shoes outside (yes, i know it's freezing) and tell them they can't play til they're on.

it'll be a miracle how fast they'll learn!

my 4 year old knows how, but he doesn't like to bc he's a lazy bum. he doesn't like to do his "homework" because his legs hurt, or clean his room bc he's hot...etc, etc, etc.
Missani 11:20 AM 12-09-2010
I have a 4 year old, a 3 year old, and a 2 year old (28 months) that can all do it. I zip the coats of the 2 and 3 year olds (the 3 year old can sometimes do it himself), but the 4 year old does his own. All can do their own shoes, although the 2 year old just got new shoes and now needs help. I also have a 19 month old and 16 month old who are trying to put their own coats on, but both have older siblings and want to do everything themselves.
countrymom 02:05 PM 12-09-2010
ok, I thought they should know how to do it, my own children knew how to do things early but I thought it was just them.
Tags:age appropriate, children manage clothes, winter cloths
Reply Up