Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Terming Question
My Lil' Monkeys 10:26 AM 03-11-2011
Do you HAVE to give a reason why you are terming/letting a family go?
daycare 10:30 AM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by My Lil' Monkeys:
nope...
i think someone posted the same question yesterday.. there was lots of good advice given. I would search the form for terming advice
Bizzymom1111 10:36 AM 03-11-2011
Not if you have something in your policy stating that. I have a section that reads,"so and so family childcare reserves the right to terminate care without notice at any time if it is necessary for the safety and or well being of my daycare/family" keep it short and sweet. Although I'm sure if you don't give a reason, they'll probably ask. If it was a personal issue( I've been there) I would just say something generic like"oh I'm downsizing, to just x many kids.." or something. Its a hard thing to do any way you go about it. Are you having problems with a child? parent?
daycare 10:37 AM 03-11-2011
I had to term and just stated that I was not longer able to offer care to the family because I could not meet their needs.
Bizzymom1111 10:47 AM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I had to term and just stated that I was not longer able to offer care to the family because I could not meet their needs.
This is exactly what I had said to one of my families! It's a very nice way of saying.."your kids a total brat and I can't deal with it anymore!!" No, I'm just kidding! I did have a pretty darn out of control dcb3, and after 5 months of HORRIBLE behavior, and cocstantly working with him, I just broke down one day and termed. The mother was not surprised actually. But that's what I said..that I couldn't meet his needs anymore.
My Lil' Monkeys 10:51 AM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by Bizzymom1111:
Not if you have something in your policy stating that. I have a section that reads,"so and so family childcare reserves the right to terminate care without notice at any time if it is necessary for the safety and or well being of my daycare/family" keep it short and sweet. Although I'm sure if you don't give a reason, they'll probably ask. If it was a personal issue( I've been there) I would just say something generic like"oh I'm downsizing, to just x many kids.." or something. Its a hard thing to do any way you go about it. Are you having problems with a child? parent?
Oh yes having major issues with a parent. But I wasn't sure if I just said "I'm sorry this really isn't working out" was ok?
daycare 10:52 AM 03-11-2011
its your company you can tell them whatever you want to tell them!
My Lil' Monkeys 10:53 AM 03-11-2011
This is exactly what I had said to one of my families! It's a very nice way of saying.."your kids a total brat and I can't deal with it anymore!!" No, I'm just kidding! I did have a pretty darn out of control dcb3, and after 5 months of HORRIBLE behavior, and cocstantly working with him, I just broke down one day and termed. The mother was not surprised actually. But that's what I said..that I couldn't meet his needs anymore.
I'm SCARED to death!!! I'm scared the parent is going to freak out...
nikia 10:57 AM 03-11-2011
Why would you think they would freak? Just from being upset or are they that crazy of parents?
Bizzymom1111 10:59 AM 03-11-2011
Well then let that be their problem. Trust me, you'll feel soooooooo much better without them. You just have to get through that one uncomfortable moment, then their gone. You can do it!! I was very nervous the first time I termed. Now, I just think to myself, I need to do what is right for MY business and self. Don't be scared!!
My Lil' Monkeys 11:06 AM 03-11-2011
Well then let that be their problem. Trust me, you'll feel soooooooo much better without them. You just have to get through that one uncomfortable moment, then their gone. You can do it!! I was very nervous the first time I termed. Now, I just think to myself, I need to do what is right for MY business and self. Don't be scared!!
When I give them the notice I still have them come back for 2 weeks. Oh, I'm sooo nervous.
daycare 11:06 AM 03-11-2011
is your term cherry getting popped? LOL sorry had to say it

the first time that I had to term I was afraid too...its natural to feel this way. But you have to stay strong and realize that this is your company and you are the one in control NOT THEM they dont control you because they pay you and you need to get that out of your head........

You make the calls here NOT THEM
My Lil' Monkeys 11:07 AM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by nikia:
Why would you think they would freak? Just from being upset or are they that crazy of parents?
Yes, I've had her get upset because I was sick and didn't know if I would be open the next day.
My Lil' Monkeys 11:10 AM 03-11-2011
is your term cherry getting popped? LOL sorry had to say it

the first time that I had to term I was afraid too...its natural to feel this way. But you have to stay strong and realize that this is your company and you are the one in control NOT THEM they dont control you because they pay you and you need to get that out of your head........

LMBO!!! I had to read that twice because I laughed so hard the first time I read that!!

Yes, I do need to grow a backbone. I know my business and family will be A LOT better.
Bizzymom1111 11:12 AM 03-11-2011
When I give them the notice I still have them come back for 2 weeks. Oh, I'm sooo nervous.
You can do it!! Take some deep breaths and just do it! If they have a fit- just stay professional and stick to your guns. They may try to make you feel bad, but don't let them. It is your business. Just keep it short and simple. Good luck Hun! (((hugs)))
daycare 11:13 AM 03-11-2011
Trust me it is scary.. Just try to relax and think about what you are going to say, be professional and never ever cause conflict. Never stoop to their level and just be frank.

I know that you must be thinking the same things I was. OMG what if I piss them off and they ruin me. What if they talk bad about me, what if they make up a story and call licensing.. We need to stop the what If's and just move forward. Deal with those things IF or WHEN they come.

I am sure if you let them down gently and professionally all will be good
Bizzymom1111 11:16 AM 03-11-2011
is your term cherry getting popped? LOL sorry had to say it...SOOOOOO FUNNY!!!

Right on! I agree 100%
nikia 11:17 AM 03-11-2011
Yes, I've had her get upset because I was sick and didn't know if I would be open the next day.
If she starts to get out of control open the door and tell her to leave and make the termination immediate. I know its scary, think about all the possible outcomes of what happens and what you will do in response. Deep breaths, it will be over before you know it. Do let her disrespect you, if she starts getting mad and yelling show her the door and never open it again for her.
nikia 11:18 AM 03-11-2011
OOPPS DONT let her disrespect you
Bizzymom1111 11:21 AM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by nikia:
If she starts to get out of control open the door and tell her to leave and make the termination immediate. I know its scary, think about all the possible outcomes of what happens and what you will do in response. Deep breaths, it will be over before you know it. Do let her disrespect you, if she starts getting mad and yelling show her the door and never open it again for her.
Agreed! Don't allow disrespect.
My Lil' Monkeys 02:59 PM 03-11-2011
So, it ended GREAT! I didn't really term... but me and dcm had talked many times before about this child going to a preschool program. I guess her mom has been looking and found one that she likes that goes all year. So, I guess dcd didn't want to pull the child because of the other place is $30 more a week than me... so I told mom that I was thinking of raising rates (which I really was) and if it's that dcd didn't want her to go to preschool because of $30 and I was thinking of doing it anyway.. I told mom that as of April 1st I was going up $30 for that child and $5 more a week for the sibling. (so it makes me more expensive than the other place) Mom was soooo happy and said that she was going to recommend me to other people who have young kids for daycare! So, it worked out.

Yes, probably the chicken way out.. but mom was right as I've brought up many times that this child needs more than daycare but a preschool. Yes, I believe in children going to preschool.. as my own son will attend one in the fall. But, I don't do the structured learning like many people on here... we learn threw play and some arts and crafts, music, and story time.

Now, just have to get both of them to sign it on Monday stating my rate increase... and I'll have a couple more weeks with dcg.

Feels AWESOME!!
Reply Up