Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Love My Contracted Hours
Patches 05:28 AM 02-21-2014
Most of my families have a 4:30 pick up time. Then I have one 5:00, the family I just termed (2 kids) was 5:30, and one 6:00.

So, 3 weeks ago, termed that family so there went my 5:30 pickups, which meant I was going to have 1 kid for the last hour of the day (actually more because the 5:00 family usually picks up by 4;45). Ugh. I knew that 1+ hour was going to drag. Well, that same day, the 6:00 pu mom caked add told me she got a new job ave gave her current job 2 weeks notice. Het hours at the new job are 7:30 to 4. So she changed her contracted times to 7 to 4:30. Yay! This week was the first week on the new hours and out is amazing! I love being done BY 5:00. Yesterday, my last one walked out the door at 4:26. I was doing a little happy dance when I shut the door.
The downside is that I'm getting paid $15 less per week now, BUT it is soooooo worth it!
craftymissbeth 05:35 AM 02-21-2014
I switched to contracted hours at the beginning of the year and I'm done by 3:45. Woohoo!
NeedaVaca 05:38 AM 02-21-2014
That's awesome! When my income fluctuates and goes down a bit I just tell myself oh well, that's just a couple less coffees from Starbucks...yes, I'm addicted
MCC 05:41 AM 02-21-2014
Nice! That sounds lovely!
countrymom 05:51 AM 02-21-2014
I love contract hours too, it makes a huge difference.
Cradle2crayons 06:29 AM 02-21-2014
It's amazing what difference just an hour can make!!!

Sometimes I wish my contracted hours were 7:30 to 4:00. But on the other hand, I would have to juggle drop offs while trying to drive my own kids to school... It just wouldn't work for me,

I love working 10:30 am until 9:00 pm on some days.
Patches 07:12 AM 02-21-2014
Plus, I can guarantee that if I didn't do contracted hours, this family would still be picking up late. They're a good family and all, but they're just one of those families that would use open to close if they could. The fact that THEY could save some money by doing earlier hours definitely give them incentive
daycarediva 07:15 AM 02-21-2014
I am 2 families away from a 4:30 closing! Excited !!! Yay for you !!
melilley 10:13 AM 02-21-2014
Sounds great!

I have contracted hours, but on most days the last child doesn't leave until 5:30, sometimes later.
Patches 11:30 AM 02-21-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:436751:
Sounds great!

I have contracted hours, but on most days the last child doesn't leave until 5:30, sometimes later.
I'm trying to enroll a few more right now and I'm just crossing my fingers that all new families will take earlier pickups. I might be daydreaming now
preschoolteacher 11:36 AM 02-21-2014
That is AWESOME! I'm working 7 AM to 5:30 PM now, and it is long. I'd love a 7:30 AM to 5 PM schedule... dreaming...
Blackcat31 11:41 AM 02-21-2014
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
That is AWESOME! I'm working 7 AM to 5:30 PM now, and it is long. I'd love a 7:30 AM to 5 PM schedule... dreaming...
..not necessarily.

When I first opened I was here 6AM-6PM. So were ALL my DCK's.

Then slowly over the years, I started paring down my availability AND my willingness to just be here all day when parents weren't actually working those same hours.

Now, 20+ years later, I am working on average from 8-4. Some days are a little earlier and some days a little later but NO one is left here ALL day from open to close.

Atleast once per month, I end up being off on a Friday at 3:00.

....and the best part is, I am actually making MORE money for less work.

So as time goes on, that dream CAN slowly start becoming your reality.
Crazy8 11:48 AM 02-21-2014
I almost termed my 5pm pick up family this summer because I was LOVING having the 4:30 pick up all summer but thank goodness I didn't because 2 of my other families decided to leave in Oct/Nov. But yes, contracted hours are GREAT - I always have the hope of getting more 4:30 families in here!!
cheerfuldom 12:57 PM 02-21-2014
I have everyone picked up by 4:30 but a part timer that is occasionally here till 5:30. I don't mind because i have days where I am done at 4:30 and that last part timer gets along so well with my kids, it is actually easier for me when she is here. LOVE it! I used to have 3 or 4 kids here plus my kids till 5:30 every day and it was torture and the kids were so done by then plus during the winter, it was dark by 5 so it was hard to feel motivated to do things in the evening. anyway, love contracted hours.
cheerfuldom 12:59 PM 02-21-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
..not necessarily.

When I first opened I was here 6AM-6PM. So were ALL my DCK's.

Then slowly over the years, I started paring down my availability AND my willingness to just be here all day when parents weren't actually working those same hours.

Now, 20+ years later, I am working on average from 8-4. Some days are a little earlier and some days a little later but NO one is left here ALL day from open to close.

Atleast once per month, I end up being off on a Friday at 3:00.

....and the best part is, I am actually making MORE money for less work.

So as time goes on, that dream CAN slowly start becoming your reality.
exactly. if you have open to close hours, you can bet 90% of your daycare families will be there open to close. Contracted hours are the only way to go. Give your parents an incentive of sorts to only use daycare when they actually need it. I thought I would be making less money but I am actually making more, for less work!
TwinKristi 01:07 PM 02-21-2014
I have contracted hours but two families have a flexibility. Some days its much earlier, some days its a little later. Today I'm supposed to finish up pretty early since SA boy is going somewhere at 4 so needs to leave at 3:30, infant leaves by 2 daily, and DCB just arrived at noon and mom got him yesterday at 4! I LOVE days like this!! The icing on the cake is there's no baseball practice tonight!!!! So dh, my mom & I are going to a steakhouse for dinner... YUMM!!
GKJNIGMN 01:10 PM 02-21-2014
I love contracted hours because my last pick up of the day is a mom who gets off work at 4:00pm and always comes straight here. Loves being with her child.

My earliest pickup at 2:30PM will do almost anything not to spend time with her kids including paying a late fee pretty much daily. Last friday I made $40 in late fees and today I made another $25 but.......since she's my earliest pickup I didn't actually stay open any later lol and all I did was have her child ride with me to pick my own kids up from school .

No wonder the first complaint she had when I interviewed her is that when she was attending the daycare 3 blocks up the same street, the provider was enforcing a $15 a minute late fee. I felt bad for her but now I realize that provider just wanted this lady to pick up her kids.
Patches 08:50 PM 02-21-2014
My 5:00 pu left early again today so I was done before 4:30 today
Reply Up