Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:16 PM
Unregistered

Default Thinking of Opening a Home Daycare

Hi,
I am considering opening a in home daycare. However, I have a few questions. What do you all do about doctor appointments? I have a one year old, so she still has well child checkups. Also in about three years we plan to have another child. How did you all schedule all your maternity checkups around your daycare? How awful has your daycare been on your house? I love children and I love WORKING with children. I currently work part time as a bank teller, but want to own my own business all while making a difference in the lives of children.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:05 AM
Daycare.com Member

For any doctor appointments I have my husband or my mom watch the group. It makes it really tricky to make appointments because both of them work full time but so far it's been doable. I am thinking about hiring one or two people who could occasionally sub for me.
Daycare definitely is rough on your house. I never understood the warning my mom would give me (she used to do home daycare too) when she said its a lot of wear and tear on your home. It is so true.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Daycare.com Member

My husband is my backup. (In my state, that means that he has had the required classes and trainings.) Anyway, I usually schedule appointments during afternoon nap time. DH take his lunch hour late and watches my nappers while I go to the doctor. Of course, we live in a tiny town where I can usually get to the doctor appt. and back in less than an hour.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:06 PM
Home Daycare Provider

some people will close their daycare for doctor appointments (and not charge the parents for that time), so in that case you'd probably make the appointment really early, and open the daycare later than usual - or make the appointment as late as possible, then close the daycare early. Other people have a back-up person who is licensed to substitute for them, just have to make sure it follows licensing guidelines. The kind of wear and tear I've experienced is dirty carpets, dirty walls, scuffs on furniture, people kicking over my solar lights in the lawn, and just the fact that you're using your house for 10+ hours a day, so every appliance is getting used more frequently, from the heater to garbage disposal to dishwasher, filtered water, lights (bulbs go out more frequently), sinks and toilets get more use, your vacuum will get more use. But for me the carpet is the biggest issue, especially right by the front entrance. I keep a big rug there, but it slips around sometimes and people get their dirty shoes on it every once in a while, which adds up over time.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:01 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSDC View Post
My husband is my backup. (In my state, that means that he has had the required classes and trainings.) Anyway, I usually schedule appointments during afternoon nap time. DH take his lunch hour late and watches my nappers while I go to the doctor. Of course, we live in a tiny town where I can usually get to the doctor appt. and back in less than an hour.
That's what I do too.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Daycare.com Member

DH and I split taking the kids, as his job as way more PTO than I get
I also have a sub/assistant that I use to cover so I don't have to close for appts.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:51 PM
Daycare.com Member

My mom is my backup and will come over for last-minute/emergency appointments, but usually I try to schedule appointments late in the day and close early, or on a Monday and close all day.

Tags
None