Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:20 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Crap! Mothers Days Idea

so my coworker and I plan to make braclets. You heat up water and boil popcile sticks and shove it in a cup till it dries and it forms the cups shape.
Well, Im worried it may not work as well as she hopes and want to have a quickie backup plan, Any easy ideas? We have 1 yr 1m- to almost 3. Were talking 8 1 year olds, 3 2 year olds and 4 2.5 and a few stray 3 year olds, Not all at the same time though! Any ideas?
Old 05-06-2017, 02:12 PM
Daycare.com Member

I'd post a pic of what I did, but they take literally 5 minutes to load on here. Go buy smaller flowerpots, I found them for $1 each. Use the paint you have to make...just about anything! We did thumbprints to make butterfles and bees.

I'll throw some dirt and a flower in there (maybe).
Old 05-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midaycare View Post
I'd post a pic of what I did, but they take literally 5 minutes to load on here. Go buy smaller flowerpots, I found them for $1 each. Use the paint you have to make...just about anything! We did thumbprints to make butterfles and bees.

That's weird, we did the same thing!! Except with the 7 mo, I made her footprints into butterflies. Then we're adding a small birdhouse they painted and we'll stick some moss in and glue on a bird. Plus add a plant and dirt.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:12 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
That's weird, we did the same thing!! Except with the 7 mo, I made her footprints into butterflies. Then we're adding a small birdhouse they painted and we'll stick some moss in and glue on a bird. Plus add a plant and dirt.
Way to one up me, Josiegirl
Old 05-07-2017, 03:26 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Way to one up me, Josiegirl
The birdhouses were one of those things I bought and we never used. I do that a lot, buy stuff with big plans and they sit there for months or years even. Sorry.
But the ladybugs and bumble-bees, you have to admit, are THE cutest things ever!

If the OP's bracelets don't work out, you could make a flower picture using hand prints, or a butterfly using their feet painted in multi-color and find a cute poem to go with it. I have found if a project does not work out(and there have sadly been quite a few) a painted personalized picture is the way to go. Quick, easy, and usually have the supplies on hand. Gotta love Pinterest, how did we ever survive before??!!
Old 05-07-2017, 06:13 AM
Daycare.com Member

I was thinking of printing out the "if you give a mom a muffin" poem and having the kids decorate around it. We'll probably make a batch of muffins to hand out.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:22 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I'm planning on making "bouquets" out of mini chocolates. $1 coffee cup, foam for inside the mug, bamboo skewers with the chocolates taped to them and then stick the skewers in the foam in the cup. Maybe add a picture of the child on a stick in the middle... I'll have the kids "arrange" their bouquets.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:35 PM
Unregistered

We've done the "if you give mom a muffin" craft except we did the potholder mittens and put the kids handprints on them and then we put the muffin mix in the mittens and wrapped them up
Old 05-07-2017, 01:09 PM
Daycare Member

The popsicle stick bracelets did not work for me last summer when I tried it with my school age kids.
We are doing tea towels with hand prints and I bought some lovely hand soap for all the moms. I've been planning this for awhile! I also plan to get them a bottle of wine as we have a small group and I know them all well so know it will be appreciated.
I saw a really cute thing the other day and you could just use tag board, you do a hand print with a foot print over it and print ......this little hand stole my heart over the hand and ...this little foot ran away with it! I thought it was cute and I may do it with the older girls on the tea towel.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:38 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:

We did the same. Im tossing in the plants they have planted for the garden (which I am not doing this year)
Old 05-08-2017, 10:02 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperth View Post
I was thinking of printing out the "if you give a mom a muffin" poem and having the kids decorate around it. We'll probably make a batch of muffins to hand out.
Oh my goodness, thank you for this! Seriously I had NO ideas of what to do and our craft supply is really lacking right now (this weekend was shopping weekend...that did not happen...lol). We do have ingredients to make muffins though! Plus both families will appreciate food more then crafts, I know both dcm's pretty well. Crafts may get hung up for a week or so, then in the trash they go lol.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:20 PM
Daycare.com Member

I've done the flowerpots but I just let the children paint them then I write name, year, and "#1 Mom" on them.

This year I've got one 20 mo old and the rest are two and older so we're mod-podge-ing tissue paper to the outside of vases. I'll buy flowers for inside the vases, if I remember.

Other easy ones are painting concrete pavers (Dad's Day this year) and coloring fabric squares with Sharpie (supervise!!) then sewing to the outside of a Dollar Store cloth bag.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:52 AM
Daycare.com Member

I picked up a bag of super fine cement. We're making stepping stones.

You line a mold with contact paper and stick pretty pieces of pottery or flat marbles on it. The sticky paper will hold them in place. Then pour in the cement.

I'm using old butter tubs as molds.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:33 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible View Post
The popsicle stick bracelets did not work for me last summer when I tried it with my school age kids.
We are doing tea towels with hand prints and I bought some lovely hand soap for all the moms. I've been planning this for awhile! I also plan to get them a bottle of wine as we have a small group and I know them all well so know it will be appreciated.
I saw a really cute thing the other day and you could just use tag board, you do a hand print with a foot print over it and print ......this little hand stole my heart over the hand and ...this little foot ran away with it! I thought it was cute and I may do it with the older girls on the tea towel.
Stealing!
Old 05-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Lover of all things B&W

*We are doing hand print shrinky dinks this year.

*We have done clay thumprint hearts before.

*Also have taken a picture of the kids "blowing a kiss" then cut it out and put hearts floating out from it.

*You can trace both of their hands, cut them out, then cut a long strip of paper. Write "I love you this much", fold accordion style, and glue one end to each hand.

*Or, trace their hand on a folded piece of paper, with thier thumb and pointer on the fold. When you open it up (if traced correctly) it will form a heart.

Would be happy to share pictures of any if desired
Old 05-11-2017, 02:29 PM
Daycare.com Member

We made these teacup candles...I'm so happy with how they came out! They painted the teacups and I just had to melt the wax and pour it in...Pretty easy and not too expensive either...win win!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1436.JPG (1.71 MB, 10 views)
Old 05-12-2017, 11:48 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperth View Post
Thank you for this! We made these today and and they turned out really sweet- the kids loved baking and I had all the prep on hand. Good idea!
Old 05-13-2017, 07:47 AM
Daycare.com Member

We did the shrinky dink hand print/foot print keychains and as a bonus we did the same thing for Father's day (Just used different colors) and got those out of the way too!

Tags
mother's day ideas