Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mom Tells Me Today 😳
Valerie928 03:24 PM 03-09-2020
That she is starting a new job next Monday and that she will be picking up a half hour later. She just assumes this is fine without asking me? My son starts track and now I will have to get to his meets late because this mom is running my life. I was so angry when she threw this at me today that I just shut down. I do not want to stay open later for her. Also the new job is "working from home"
Annalee 03:32 PM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
That she is starting a new job next Monday and that she will be picking up a half hour later. She just assumes this is fine without asking me? My son starts track and now I will have to get to his meets late because this mom is running my life. I was so angry when she threw this at me today that I just shut down. I do not want to stay open later for her. Also the new job is "working from home"
Tell her you want be able to accommodate her extra half hour
dolores 03:52 PM 03-09-2020
If I could not/did not want to do it I would say no. If I chose to do it, I would charge a daily rate for extended day and give her an amended contract.
Snowmom 04:05 PM 03-09-2020
"Mom, you caught me a little off guard yesterday when you informed me of your work hours that are changing. I won't be able to accommodate the later hours. If you need to put in your notice, please remember that your contract requires X written notice. Thanks."

Walk away.

Don't bend to cater to others. Do what's best for you and your family or the resentment will just build.
sahm1225 05:22 PM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
"Mom, you caught me a little off guard yesterday when you informed me of your work hours that are changing. I won't be able to accommodate the later hours. If you need to put in your notice, please remember that your contract requires X written notice. Thanks."

Walk away.

Don't bend to cater to others. Do what's best for you and your family or the resentment will just build.
THIS. Your son will remember that you were late, mom
Won’t remember and be grateful for it enough to make it worth your while
Valerie928 05:33 PM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by Snowmom:

Walk away.

You are exactly right! I have definitely strengthened my backbone over the years but not when I am caught off guard. I just freeze. My son is an awesome runner and I don't want to miss these important things in his life.
Rockgirl 05:36 PM 03-09-2020
Do you have set hours of operation?
Former Teacher 05:49 PM 03-09-2020
I am sorry Susan. If you are unable to pick up Snowflake at my closing time, you will either have to have someone else pick up Snowflake or I will consider this your 2 week notice.
Unregistered 05:59 PM 03-09-2020
Maybe send a copy of her contract and remind her of your late pick up policy.
Ariana 09:26 PM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
You are exactly right! I have definitely strengthened my backbone over the years but not when I am caught off guard. I just freeze. My son is an awesome runner and I don't want to miss these important things in his life.
I am similar! I really need to start saying “let me think about that and get back to you” every time they spring something on me at the door.

I would text or email them and say you had forgotten about your sons track and it is not something you are willing to miss. Sorry for the inconvenience but too bad for you!
Josiegirl 03:34 AM 03-10-2020
I learned over time, to ask myself how this would benefit my family. PLEASE don't put your ds 2nd to a dcm. ESPECIALLY is she's working from home!!!! SHE can either plan differently or find someone else to pick up or find other care. There will always be other dcfs, your son only goes through childhood once. Don't miss any more of those moments than you absolutely need to.

Remember, these people are not your employers, you call the shots in your own business!!!
Good luck!
rosieteddy 05:50 AM 03-10-2020
All great answers.You will regret it if you have to miss his meets.There will be other DC clients your family grows up.
WBee 06:26 AM 03-10-2020
If she is working from home then she will have to take a break to come pick up her child. She obviously has the option of continuing where she left off at home, when she returns. :-) I am so done with putting other families kids before my own. They really don't appreciate it down the road anyway and will drop you at a dime to fulfill their own needs.
LittleExplorers 10:57 AM 03-10-2020
Many jobs that work from home require children to be out of the house at child care. It doesn't mean they can work and watch their kids.

Regardless, as others have said, tell mom you are unable to accommodate the change. She should have asked you prior to taking a new job.
Valerie928 12:13 PM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by WBee:
If she is working from home then she will have to take a break to come pick up her child. She obviously has the option of continuing where she left off at home, when she returns. :-) I am so done with putting other families kids before my own. They really don't appreciate it down the road anyway and will drop you at a dime to fulfill their own needs.
You are absolutely right. I told her this morning that she has to pick up at her normal time. I will not extend my time for her "work from home job" .....she processes home loans on her computer.....
Tags:late pickup, parents - taking advantage
Reply Up