Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Assistants
BrynleeJean 12:20 PM 02-01-2018
what can you guys tell me about assistants?

What do you do if your assistant calls in?
where do you find subs in your area?
amberrose3dg 12:30 PM 02-01-2018
Originally Posted by BrynleeJean:
what can you guys tell me about assistants?

What do you do if your assistant calls in?
where do you find subs in your area?
Haha that's my current frustration. I think I'm gonna hire two part time people and that way one can hopefully cover the other.
I been using my daughter when I can.
BrynleeJean 12:32 PM 02-01-2018
I have thought about that too how would you do that?
one 2 days a week and one 3 days a week or both split the day, like 5 or six hours a day?
mamamanda 01:00 PM 02-01-2018
I've had two assistants at different times & both of them were wonderful. One helped me out during the summer time when I had a really full group & the other helped me during pregnancy when I was very weak. I've never had more children enrolled at one time than what I can legally have by myself so if they did call in we were still ok legally. I've had to cancel appts due to calling off once or twice though. I hired people that I knew personally or who came highly recommended from someone who I trust. I wouldn't put up with very many call offs b/c I wouldn't feel able to rely on the person. I don't know about finding subs. Do you have a local childcare resource that you could call for referrals?
BrynleeJean 01:19 PM 02-01-2018
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
I've had two assistants at different times & both of them were wonderful. One helped me out during the summer time when I had a really full group & the other helped me during pregnancy when I was very weak. I've never had more children enrolled at one time than what I can legally have by myself so if they did call in we were still ok legally. I've had to cancel appts due to calling off once or twice though. I hired people that I knew personally or who came highly recommended from someone who I trust. I wouldn't put up with very many call offs b/c I wouldn't feel able to rely on the person. I don't know about finding subs. Do you have a local childcare resource that you could call for referrals?
my Licensing office.? i don't think they'd be of any help but who knows, maybe ill call them today and find out.

Im planning on opening a 0-18month program in august (I'm temp closed since my son was born) and because of my own children counting in the ratio, i can only take 3 others, with an assistant i can take 8 others. i didnt do this last time i just stayed above 18 months so i could have a better ratio but 0-18 is really in need in my area and i got calls for that age all the time when i was open last time so hoping this works out, just needing a reliable system
mamamanda 01:27 PM 02-01-2018
my Licensing office.? i don't think they'd be of any help but who knows, maybe ill call them today and find out.

Im planning on opening a 0-18month program in august (I'm temp closed since my son was born) and because of my own children counting in the ratio, i can only take 3 others, with an assistant i can take 8 others. i didnt do this last time i just stayed above 18 months so i could have a better ratio but 0-18 is really in need in my area and i got calls for that age all the time when i was open last time so hoping this works out, just needing a reliable system
We have a child care resource center that aids providers looking to be licensed. It is separate from the licensing office, but provides you with relevant info, trainings, etc. I don't know if that's common, but you might see if your state has one. Ours will actually send you referrals for children based on the type of care you provide. They are kind of a middle man between parents, providers, & licensors.
BrynleeJean 01:43 PM 02-01-2018
I just called my licensing office, no such referral agency, "never heard of anything like that" is what they said and they don't help find subs either. bummer.
well I'm in TEXAS if anyone on here is from here and knows of a site or number or place i can contact for subs in a pinch that would be helpful!
amberrose3dg 03:50 AM 02-02-2018
I just called my licensing office, no such referral agency, "never heard of anything like that" is what they said and they don't help find subs either. bummer.
well I'm in TEXAS if anyone on here is from here and knows of a site or number or place i can contact for subs in a pinch that would be helpful!
Nope a facility license is pretty common here which requires an assistant if you have more than 2 babies or 6 children at a time. There is no "help" with finding qualified assistants.
Blackcat31 07:55 AM 02-02-2018
Texas Child Care Resource and Referral agency:
http://www.taccrra.net/

Other resources for Texas child care... these agencies and/or businesses may not be able to assist but in my experience most these types of agencies will direct you to those that can help. Networking is an amazing way to learn about resources that are out there but are hard to find.

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Ca...rk/default.asp
http://www.everything-child-care.com...hild-care.html
http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Ca...as_Child_Care/
http://www.texasaeyc.org/resources/job_opportunities/
BrynleeJean 10:30 AM 02-02-2018
Awesome! thank you! idk why they would have told me we don't have one.
Ill check that out hopefully it links to some subs in the area.
Yea i know of a lot of childcare providers I've worked with in actual centers in the area that may eventually go be SAHMs and be able to sub for me but there are only maybe 3 home daycares in my county, which i know the providers of and they don't need subs so didnt have any ideas for me.
ColorfulSunburst 11:09 AM 02-02-2018
I have two assistance. They work Mon-Fri. The first one works 8am-1pm, the second one works 10am-5pm. They cover of each other shifts when it is necessary.
We are open 7am-7pm and have 12 kids. Four of them are infants: two under 1yo and two under 2yo.
Reply Up