Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Looking for Suggestions re "Substitutes"
lehcrh 05:43 AM 08-09-2011
Hi all..I am new to this forum. I have a home daycare with 5 children, 2 of which are my own. I serve 3 other families.

I am wondering if anyone has suggestions as far as finding a substitute for when I have personal appointments (doc/daughter's school etc)? Right now I am taking the day off (or 1/2 day whatever) but I really want to find someone who can come in, sit in my place while I run to an appt for an hour or so. I would preferably schedule things during naptime (all kids nap simultaneously) so the sub would really just have to sit here in my spot. I am almost thinking like a college kid or something, idk.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to find a substitute? What do you do when you need to take personal time for appointments?
cheeseheadmama 07:08 AM 08-09-2011
I understand the predicament completely. I can only relate my experience: I have a bunch of PT kids so I have 2 mornings a week free of DK's to schedule appointments. If I can't get an appointment during those hours, I have two options: take them with me (with parent permission) or have my DH come home for an hour. Thankfully he has a flexible schedule. If it is an appointment for our kids, I made DH the responsible party for getting them there. Taking all of them with me can get to be a real zoo, but most places are very tolerant; after all it would be the same as a large family. Rarely, I have had a neighbor kid come to stay with the kids for a little while, but he is known and trusted by all the families.

I hope you find a solution! Good luck.
morgan24 07:20 AM 08-09-2011
It's really hard for me to trust just anyone to come in substitute for me, even when the kids are napping. I try to make all my appointments after hours or on Sat. When it's not possible I take the day off.
lehcrh 07:29 AM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
It's really hard for me to trust just anyone to come in substitute for me, even when the kids are napping. I try to make all my appointments after hours or on Sat. When it's not possible I take the day off.
This has been my policy as well. I agree on the trust factor, it's so tough. With my daughter starting school and further medical testing in my future, I know I have to do something otherwise I have to inconvenience so many ppl as far as days off.

Trying to figure out the "right" thing to do. Not easy at times!
Country Kids 07:31 AM 08-09-2011
I'm very curious to what others say because I lost my substitute after 11 years due to health issues. I just can't bring myself to get someone else because of the trust issue. My hubby says take the day off but that can get to be alot with 4 kids-dentist, doctors, ortho (every 6 weeks), any appointments I have.

Everything here is either closed on Friday (or open 1/2 day), closes at 5:00, and nothing is open on Saturday. We have one maybe two banks that are open Saturdays.

I acatually get panicky when I know an appointment is coming up and I have to figure it out because I just feel trapped not being able to make an appointment and go. I have to figure out to many things to just go!
lehcrh 07:23 AM 08-09-2011
TY for your response! The ages of my DK's are 4, 2, and 1.5, while my 2 children are 3 and 1.5. So taking everyone with me anywhere isn't possible (due to carseats and my sanity!).

Sounds like you have a good system where you are able to schedule most things on the 2 mornings you are w/o kids. I have 2 f/t kids and 1 p/t, hoping to get one more f/t child soon. So I am here M-F.

My daughter (3) will start her first preschool program on Monday (MWF 1/2 days) and it breaks my heart at the thought of never being able to attend any school "functions" she might have. I have also been going thru some medical testing for some stomach problems so that's why this has become such an issue for me as of late.

I was looking on sitter city.com, does anyone have experience w sitters from that site? I am hoping I can find a couple sitters on there, which I would gladly pay $$$ for to sit in for me while I take care of my own obligations.

TIA for an any more responses!
Michelle 07:31 AM 08-09-2011
You can have a family member do it( the only people I trust)
Whoever you choose has to be fingerprinted and cleared and take CPR classes.
good luck..
sitter city is pretty good, just interview thoroughly.
Blackcat31 07:34 AM 08-09-2011
In my area there are a few child care providers who have either quit or retired. Several of them substitute when other child cares need them. The few who have taken other jobs simply require a minimum of 14 days advance notice.

We also have a few college students who have called our local licensing agency and registered as substitutes for family child care providers. The licensor then distributed their names and numbers to us.
lehcrh 09:57 AM 08-09-2011
Thanks, guys! I contacted my licensing girl and she said it could be anyone who had a criminal records check and signed my "helper orientation" worksheet. So technically this could be my husband, since he already has had the background ck. He is off on Mondays and I could schedule appts during monday naptime. I am still going to pursue a couple college girls from sittercity as a back up. My licensing girl had no list of helpers to offer, unfortunately. I have no local family so that isn't an option either.

While I love that I am able to stay home with my children as well as be my own boss, I hate feeling that I am putting everyone else out to take care of my own personal/medical/family business. It's the toughest part of home daycare for me!
Tags:back up care, background check, backups, substitute
Reply Up