Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Creepy Halloween Scares Daycare Kids
PitterPatter 08:58 PM 09-14-2012
I have neighbors across the street from me, an older Mother and a maybe 19 yr old daughter. To give you some back ground... The daughter is creepy in herself in what she wears she's overweight and wears skin tight goth clothing. Other times she looks like Rainbow bright. She is always doing things for attention. I do not speak to them and not sure why. Neither of us have ever made an effort other than smiles here there (never the daughter shes a grump) The Mother has spoken a few times over 10 yrs and given us some items she was getting rid of like paper and work books etc for the kids she is nice enough. The daughter just irrritates me with her loud obnoxious ways... anyway ...

Last year the daughter hung some morbid looking decor for Halloween in mid September. A bloody head (real looking) hangs from her porch and freaks the kids out. They have a couple other simple things but the head freaked the kids out. I spoke up about it loudly telling the kids it was fake and agreeing with them it is scary to have around. Well I guess the teen took this as a chance to piss me off because today the Halloween decor went up again. I dont know why she puts it up so early and leaves it up into mid november too...

Today we have the usual decor along with that bloody screaming head hanging but also a new item. A demonic looking LIFE SIZE little girl on a swing!! I tried not to pay much attention because thats what she likes but it looks very scary and the kids again made comments when they saw the doll head. They havent seen the doll up and in action yet as it didnt get put up until they left for the day but I am afraid it will scare them. To make it worse my family was sitting in the living room watching a movie when the dog dives to the window and starts barking. Then we hear it, singing. It's 10 pm who would be singing outside. We listen and it's a little girl singing a creepy kids tune like u would hear in a scary movie. We look out and that creepy little demon doll is now swinging all alone and singing! Then it says something creepy we cant make out from in our house across the street. Her head turns her feet kick and her eyes glow. Chills actually went through me and my son (10) freaked!!! He wanted to go stay with his gran. The damn doll continued to go off and on for the past 2 hours! My sons room is right across from that porch so he wont sleep in his room now. I am afraid the doll will scare the kids too. I can't believe they would decorate like this across from a daycare with small children. AND I know that rude teen got this creepy kid just to piss me off and maybe to scare the kids on purpose. My Mother said I should tell her to take it down but 1st of all she has every right to hang it. It's her property. 2nd if I would tell her that she would laugh in my face and probably hang more just to piss me off. So not telling them to take it down. BUT what do I do if/when it scares the kids? Honestly I am an adult and it freaks me out when I see it in action too.

Have any of you had this problem? How did you deal with it? What did you do to comfort the little ones that don't settle with "its fake"?
sharlan 09:15 PM 09-14-2012
We really decorate, go all out, for Halloween. But I don't want anything hanging that will scare the kids. I take them outside and show them everything so it's not a big deal to them.

As for the demonic doll and bloody head, that's too far out for the littles. If I saw the mother out, I'd walk across the street and talk to her. Let her know that it's upsetting to your daycare kids. That's really all you can do.

If the mom won't do anything, try to keep your curtains closed and keep the littles out back as much as possible.

As for the doll singing after 10, I'd call the police.
littlemissmuffet 11:04 PM 09-14-2012
Honestly, I don't really think it's your place to say anything and you need to get over it. Just keep reminding the children that the items are not real and that they are simply Halloween decorations... trust me... they're going to see much worse over the holiday.

I love Halloween and before I did daycare we decorated the house in macabre ways as well. Now, we do cutsie decorations that won't scare the kids but I don't have any sort of issues with what the neighbors put up... no matter how creepy. It's the one time of year that it';s acceptable to be "dark".

I don't believe in censoring the world, I believe in educating the kids about what they see.
countrymom 04:06 AM 09-15-2012
well when you decorate make sure you have spotlight aimed at their house, if you have to deal with the doll then they can deal with a nice bright spot light. Sorry but there's a time and place. I wouldn't care if it was close to halloween but we still have over a month before halloween.
dave4him 04:28 AM 09-15-2012
That is a public disturbance
PitterPatter 04:47 AM 09-15-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
We really decorate, go all out, for Halloween. But I don't want anything hanging that will scare the kids. I take them outside and show them everything so it's not a big deal to them.

As for the demonic doll and bloody head, that's too far out for the littles. If I saw the mother out, I'd walk across the street and talk to her. Let her know that it's upsetting to your daycare kids. That's really all you can do.

If the mom won't do anything, try to keep your curtains closed and keep the littles out back as much as possible.

As for the doll singing after 10, I'd call the police.
Thanks for the replies everyone! The problem is my "back yard" is at my side directly across from this porch so when the kids play they see and hear the decor. If I can hear the doll inside my house with a movie playing then they will hear her when they are 15 ft away so that is my concern. Wouldnt even be so bad if it wasnt so life like with the head turning and feet kicking swinging etc I just dont get why she had to pick a demonic kid and hang it right out front facing us. She has a side she could hang it from.

I agree in not censoring and not really my place Miss Muffet but don't you agree its rude to not think of the little kids? Explaining, yes I do that but what does a 2 yr old understand in words when she sees the things in action? As I said I dont plan on saying anything because the teen runs that house and I just know she would enjoy the attention and just get more to put out. I guess I just wanted to come vent because I just cant believe some people dont think more about kids. They have the right to decorate scary yes but why for 2 whole months? And being she bought a kid just tells me she is trying to scare someone. Everything else is gore, heads etc. As I said this stuff wont come down until at least mid November so I now have 2 months to probably keep the kids stay inside unless they can deal with it.

Thanks for the advise everyone!
Snapdragon 05:23 AM 09-15-2012
Sorry you are having to deal with this. Not much you can do really other than report to the police if the noise is going on as late as it is. If the daughter is someone who seems to want attention (even negative), then the best response is to try not to rise to the bait. I'm not a fan of Hallowe'en as it is celebrated now with all the gory stuff -- even my kids (9 and 12) find some of the things people put in their yards a bit too realistic and scary.
Blackcat31 07:09 AM 09-15-2012
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
Thanks for the replies everyone! The problem is my "back yard" is at my side directly across from this porch so when the kids play they see and hear the decor. If I can hear the doll inside my house with a movie playing then they will hear her when they are 15 ft away so that is my concern. Wouldnt even be so bad if it wasnt so life like with the head turning and feet kicking swinging etc I just dont get why she had to pick a demonic kid and hang it right out front facing us. She has a side she could hang it from.

I agree in not censoring and not really my place Miss Muffet but don't you agree its rude to not think of the little kids? Explaining, yes I do that but what does a 2 yr old understand in words when she sees the things in action? As I said I dont plan on saying anything because the teen runs that house and I just know she would enjoy the attention and just get more to put out. I guess I just wanted to come vent because I just cant believe some people dont think more about kids. They have the right to decorate scary yes but why for 2 whole months? And being she bought a kid just tells me she is trying to scare someone. Everything else is gore, heads etc. As I said this stuff wont come down until at least mid November so I now have 2 months to probably keep the kids stay inside unless they can deal with it.

Thanks for the advise everyone!
I disagree with this. I do not think it is rude to not think of the kids. Not everyone has kids and cares about kid-related things. I don't think everyone should have to always think of how things will effect kids when they don't have any little ones themselves.

I have my own personal feelings about this (and I am NOT saying I agree with the neighbors or with the OP) I just wanted to lend another perspective in which I know many adults who have no children and they have always made it clear to those of us who are friends with them and have children that they don't have them, don't want them and don't particularly care for them. That is ok. They are allowed to feel, think and act however they choose to.

That is their right to think and feel that way. Just because a daycare is in business next door doesn't necessarily mean a neighbor HAS to be considerate or caring about it....unless they are actually breaking a law. Which it doesn't sound like they are.

Imagine things from their side of the fence....you said you have to deal with the crazy decor until mid November and how annoying it is. They have to deal with daycare kids laughing, screaming and playing as well as parents coming and going all morning and all afternoon and they don't get a break from that a few months out of the year since you run a business that is in operation ALL the months of the year. Imagine what they feel they are having to deal with? Perhaps the crazy decor is their only way of getting back at you for what they feel you are exposing them to the rest of the year?

I have no idea and really have no clue how they are feeling etc, but just thought there is two sides to the story and it isn't always about the kids kwim?

I just don't think that everybody has an obligation to always have to "think of the kids" (they don't have or the ones who live nearby) when it comes to the choices they make or the things they choose to do.
Sugar Magnolia 07:35 AM 09-15-2012
I'm kinda with Blackcat on this.....but also agree with calling the police if it goes on past 10pm. Like Dave said, it could be considered a disturbance and violation of noise ordinances. But.....it is a free country. My neighborhood is a deed restricted community, we can do decorations for holidays, but have to take them down within 2 weeks after the holiday or it is a violation. Do you live in a deed restricted development? Maybe you can ask them? If not, there may not be much you can do. It is totally creepy. And probably spiteful behavior, but unfortunately there are no laws against being a jerk. Maybe mom will understand if you talk nicely to her about it? If not.....oy.....maybe you can cross your fingers and hope someone steals it in the middle of the night. Sorry your poor son is scared, that is mean. Mean people (especially mean teenagers) suck.
seebachers 08:25 AM 09-15-2012
totally agree with blackcat on this one........
PitterPatter 08:28 AM 09-15-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I disagree with this. I do not think it is rude to not think of the kids. Not everyone has kids and cares about kid-related things. I don't think everyone should have to always think of how things will effect kids when they don't have any little ones themselves.

I have my own personal feelings about this (and I am NOT saying I agree with the neighbors or with the OP) I just wanted to lend another perspective in which I know many adults who have no children and they have always made it clear to those of us who are friends with them and have children that they don't have them, don't want them and don't particularly care for them. That is ok. They are allowed to feel, think and act however they choose to.

That is their right to think and feel that way. Just because a daycare is in business next door doesn't necessarily mean a neighbor HAS to be considerate or caring about it....unless they are actually breaking a law. Which it doesn't sound like they are.

Imagine things from their side of the fence....you said you have to deal with the crazy decor until mid November and how annoying it is. They have to deal with daycare kids laughing, screaming and playing as well as parents coming and going all morning and all afternoon and they don't get a break from that a few months out of the year since you run a business that is in operation ALL the months of the year. Imagine what they feel they are having to deal with? Perhaps the crazy decor is their only way of getting back at you for what they feel you are exposing them to the rest of the year?

I have no idea and really have no clue how they are feeling etc, but just thought there is two sides to the story and it isn't always about the kids kwim?

I just don't think that everybody has an obligation to always have to "think of the kids" (they don't have or the ones who live nearby) when it comes to the choices they make or the things they choose to do.
Point taken and as I said I agree they do have a right but as far as them putting up with the kids, I doubt they can even hear the kids over her constantly barking and yelping dog that she ties out to the porch all day, alone. We sit in here for crafts or nap etc and he just sits over there barking and yelping everyday. I'm surprised teh poor dog has a throat left. Other neighbors complain about that dog but never about the kids. The kids do get loud sometimes but not all the time. We have scheduled outdoor times not out all day. We take lots of walks away from the house and to the playground also. I know kids can get loud and I try to think of my neighbors so if the energized screaming starts thats when they go to the playground. As for drop off and pick up we dont have drop of and pick up all morning and afternoon. I only have a few kids. They arrive at 8 and go home at 5. No disturbance. Like I said I dont even think it's the Mom I think it's the arrogant teen. Maybe it isn't rude to not think of the kids but that's just how I think. I always go out of my way to please everyone as possible and kids come 1st in my heart. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Blackcat.
Willow 03:28 PM 09-15-2012
At 19 it most definitely is not the girl's property to do what she wishes with.

I would approach the actual owner of the home, the mother, and ask her if she would consider moving it to another location because it's really scaring the children.

She sounds like a kind and reasonable woman and it would be worth a shot.

If she declines, thank her for considering it anyway and know at least you tried. That way too if any kids start really freaking out over it you can also let the parents know you did your best.

Additionally I too would call law enforcement if the thing was going off at all hours of the night.
BABYLUVER 05:44 PM 09-15-2012
You can't do much about your neighbor's decorations if you're not in an HOA. I would definitely just explain to the children some things about Halloween. I know my kids are not scared of anything, and some kids like spooky things. YOU may be creeped out, but a 1yo may not really think anything of it. If you freak out, they will too. It's like you seeing a spider, screaming "OMG SPIDER KILL IT KILL IT" and then wondering why the kids who were never afraid of spiders before are screaming when they see one! lol

The barking dog? I'd report that to the humane society. First, there's nothing more annoying than a relentlessly barking dog and second, why do people even have pets if they can't/won't take care of them? Also, a neglected dog is a physical hazard to you and your kids, because there is evidence out there that shows that neglected animals can become aggressive. If he ever got out, he could easily bite. This would be the two reasons that would prompt me to call the humane society.
SunnyDay 06:37 PM 09-15-2012
Could you put privacy fence on that side of your yard so you can't see it? That is an awful situation, I would not be happy, either!
Mommy2One 09:53 AM 09-17-2012

A demonic looking LIFE SIZE little girl on a swing!! I tried not to pay much attention because thats what she likes but it looks very scary and the kids again made comments when they saw the doll head. They havent seen the doll up and in action yet as it didnt get put up until they left for the day but I am afraid it will scare them. To make it worse my family was sitting in the living room watching a movie when the dog dives to the window and starts barking. Then we hear it, singing. It's 10 pm who would be singing outside. We listen and it's a little girl singing a creepy kids tune like u would hear in a scary movie. We look out and that creepy little demon doll is now swinging all alone and singing! Then it says something creepy we cant make out from in our house across the street. Her head turns her feet kick and her eyes glow. Chills actually went through me and my son (10) freaked!!!
First, that sounds really scary! Somehow, for me, it's always the horror movies that feature the ghost/possessed/demon kids that really freak me out.

Is there any way you could "spin" it for your daycare kids? Aside from the glowing eyes, is she horrific (bloody)? "Look at the silly doll on the swing. Listen she sings a funny song, how about if we all sing Wheels on the Bus?" I've found with my 3yo my reaction has a lot more affect on her response than reality does.

Maybe make a game of it for your daycare kids, or even your son. For a little while thunder made my daughter nervous so I told her that meant it was kisses time and covered her in silly smooches every time it thundered. She actually started smiling when she hear thunder and would remind me it was kisses time. After a couple weeks she forgot about the game but thunder hasn't seemed to bother her since then.
daycare 10:38 AM 09-17-2012
this is why I love america!!! freedom of choice, freedom to express yourself, freedom of speech and free to be YOU!!!

Sorry, I have to say that it's her right to choose how she celebrates this holiday and any other.

As far as noise, if it really is bothering you that bad, (police will see this as tedious complaint) then call the police to report it.
PitterPatter 02:42 PM 09-17-2012
Originally Posted by Mommy2One:
First, that sounds really scary! Somehow, for me, it's always the horror movies that feature the ghost/possessed/demon kids that really freak me out.

Is there any way you could "spin" it for your daycare kids? Aside from the glowing eyes, is she horrific (bloody)? "Look at the silly doll on the swing. Listen she sings a funny song, how about if we all sing Wheels on the Bus?" I've found with my 3yo my reaction has a lot more affect on her response than reality does.

Maybe make a game of it for your daycare kids, or even your son. For a little while thunder made my daughter nervous so I told her that meant it was kisses time and covered her in silly smooches every time it thundered. She actually started smiling when she hear thunder and would remind me it was kisses time. After a couple weeks she forgot about the game but thunder hasn't seemed to bother her since then.
Yeah the real stuff is what scares them. They have creepy pumpkins etc but the bloody cut off heads hanging around and human like things is what freaks them out. The dolls not bloody she's like a demon or posessed or something. The teen is in control because it isn't always on but as soon as she gets home and we are outside it comes on then there's peeking out the curtains. I know she is just trying to scare the kids now!

Thank you for the ideas to help the kids! We looked through a halloween book and at some old paintings the kids did. I explained she is just dressed up like a ghost for halloween. I told them she is a regular rag doll and they painted her face for halloween to be scary... They still don't care for it but they are able to ignore it now.
Country Kids 03:34 PM 09-17-2012
Yeah the real stuff is what scares them. They have creepy pumpkins etc but the bloody cut off heads hanging around and human like things is what freaks them out. The dolls not bloody she's like a demon or posessed or something. The teen is in control because it isn't always on but as soon as she gets home and we are outside it comes on then there's peeking out the curtains. I know she is just trying to scare the kids now!

Thank you for the ideas to help the kids! We looked through a halloween book and at some old paintings the kids did. I explained she is just dressed up like a ghost for halloween. I told them she is a regular rag doll and they painted her face for halloween to be scary... They still don't care for it but they are able to ignore it now.
I would march right over there with the group and show them that its just a doll. Ask the girl if they could touch her and see how she works. Show them thats shes just a ugly baby doll. Then maybe engage the girl into some conversation with the kids about what they all like about Halloween.

You might just be surprised and she might just go along with it.
spud912 06:37 PM 09-17-2012
Do you have any pictures you can show us?
Maybe if you pretend like it entertains you and the kids, the fun will be taken out of it for the teenager and she'll stop trying so hard.
Jewels 07:03 AM 09-18-2012
I agree with blackcat.....Its their house, they have no reason to care that kids are across the street, its their house....freedom, kids can get used to this, I decorate a lot for halloween, I don't have anything bloody around, but there is a giant spider and spider web by the front door, I have skull lights coming up to the house, scary pumpkins, A witch the laughs when you walk by, some kids were scared right away, but we spent some time out there playing with everything, and after a couple days the kids were fine, didn't even phase them, you just really have to show them its funny and fake, if its funny and fake to you, they will follow your example, yes it might creep into their dreams, but its halloween, they will see some scary stuff. after a few days they wont be paying any attention to it, they will forget its their, it will become part of the scenery, and they will just play.
laundrymom 11:44 AM 09-18-2012
Originally Posted by country kids:
i would march right over there with the group and show them that its just a doll. Ask the girl if they could touch her and see how she works. Show them thats shes just a ugly baby doll. Then maybe engage the girl into some conversation with the kids about what they all like about halloween.

You might just be surprised and she might just go along with it.
!!!!!-- this --!!!!!!!!
Starburst 05:32 PM 01-29-2013
[quote=BABYLUVER;262885]You can't do much about your neighbor's decorations if you're not in an HOA[quote]

The ironic thing is that most HOA's limit or don't allow any home based businesses (including daycares) at all in their neighborhoods.
daycare 07:39 PM 01-29-2013
[quote=Starburst;312754][quote=BABYLUVER;262885]You can't do much about your neighbor's decorations if you're not in an HOA
Originally Posted by :

The ironic thing is that most HOA's limit or don't allow any home based businesses (including daycares) at all in their neighborhoods.
Not true. I have lived on 4 different HOA communities over the last several years.
10 years of daycare and never once have I had an issue.
In fact there are laws to protect you from HOA stopping you.

To my knowledge. The only thing I can't do is have any form of business advertisement on my property outside that is visible for the public to see.
Starburst 08:13 PM 01-29-2013
[quote=daycare;312798][quote=Starburst;312754]
Originally Posted by BABYLUVER:
You can't do much about your neighbor's decorations if you're not in an HOA
Not true. I have lived on 4 different HOA communities over the last several years.
10 years of daycare and never once have I had an issue.
In fact there are laws to protect you from HOA stopping you.

To my knowledge. The only thing I can't do is have any form of business advertisement on my property outside that is visible for the public to see.
I was saying most because I was looking up that information a while ago and have seen several things where people say that their HOA's (usually in gated communities) are trying to close them down or prevent them from opening. It depends on the area your city/county/state. Here in CA in general, I know that landlords/HOAs cannot prevent you from opening a daycare in your home (though they can limit your capacity like not allowing the +2 SAC rule) but I have read on other message boards from other states where their HOA was trying to stop or limit the amount of home based businesses all together (not just FCC) in the area to limit the amount of people wandering around who do not live in that neighborhood. Which I would not understand because I think personally that it would add more value to the neighborhood to have a near by child care business and more people would be willing to take their kids to that daycare than have to go to one out of the small community.

Also I didn't notice until after I posted that this was a few months old (the fact that it was halloween theme should have tipped me off though lol)
daycare 09:05 PM 01-29-2013
Lol I knew it was old but still wanted to reply to your post.

Btw I am in CA.

Somehow you merged my post with babyluver?
Starburst 10:01 PM 01-29-2013
Yea I have been having issues with the quote setting today, Blackcat fixed one of my other ones earlier.
Tags:halloween
Reply Up