Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another What Would You Do?
jokalima 03:04 PM 01-21-2013
I have been talking to my older kids (3-4) about Martin Luther King Jr. Reading a book and talking about his dream. Last week we talked about our dreams so the kids told me their dreams and during the weekend I thought about it and decided to make their dreams come true today on martin Luther King Jr day. I told them that if they worked really hard with their listening ears their dreams would come true just like Martin's dream came true because he worked hard to make it come true. Anyways... I have 2 part time kids, from those 2 kids one comes 1/2 a day, which means she misses out on almost everything we do as a group, I only do group time in mornings, and my activities and projects are mostly done during mornings, afternoons are free play, and this is how I run the DC automatically, don't give to much thought about what the other kids get if they come 1/2 day because the other 1/2 of day they r in another school. Sorry, I am making this story longer that what it should be, the point is that the dream of the full time girls was pink boots so I went to the store and got pink boots for 2 girls, and got a big card and pictures for the girl that wanted a family card as a dream, made a inside picnic for the boy that wanted a picnic and got cupcakes for boy that wanted cupcakes, the other child, 1/2 day is not here when we do this things and was not here today for the "dream"day so I got nothing for that child, no harm meant just did not count her as part of activity cause she is not here for them. One of the mom's asked me what was that child's dream and I said "IDK" so now I am worried that when that child comes tomorrow her mom would get upset if she knows that other kids got gifts for "dream day" and not her child, I thought of going out today and getting her something but it is snowing and I don't want to drive like that. I truly did not mean any harm, I just went to store and bought items that I wrote down during group time and because child is not here during that time I did not have anything written down as her "dream". If that mother asks what could I tell her to let her know it was not about preference? I feel really bad
Sugar Magnolia 03:26 PM 01-21-2013
I wouldn't worry about it, they likely won't ask about it.
I want to thank you for doing something for MLK Jr day! Great idea and very thoughtful. Dr. King would be proud.
Blackcat31 04:35 PM 01-21-2013
I wouldn't worry about it either. Not all kids are present for all my activities either. It is what it is. It will be the same way in school

Good for you for doing such a wonderfully nice thing for MLK day and for the kids you have in care.
jokalima 05:16 PM 01-21-2013
Thanks! IDK I think this moms just got me thinking of the girls tomorrow wearing their boots sayin to the ther girl in front of mom "Look what we got here for our dream" and just wast picturing that. But yes, the day was great, when mom came in in the afternoon they had a big smile "Look mom, our dream came true" it was beautiful!
Lucy 06:49 PM 01-21-2013
If I'm giving something to the kids, I feel it's fair to give the same to all of them. I think we'd all do that for our own kids.

I would've done a mini-lesson with the half day girl. Just a little chat with her about dreams and ask what her dream is. Then I'd buy her something too. I would've felt guilty NOT doing something for her just because she wasn't present when the gift-giving took place.

Just my little ol' opinion.
Holiday Park 03:51 AM 01-22-2013
Originally Posted by Lucy:
If I'm giving something to the kids, I feel it's fair to give the same to all of them. I think we'd all do that for our own kids.

I would've done a mini-lesson with the half day girl. Just a little chat with her about dreams and ask what her dream is. Then I'd buy her something too. I would've felt guilty NOT doing something for her just because she wasn't present when the gift-giving took place.

That's how I feel too.
coolconfidentme 05:32 AM 01-22-2013
Originally Posted by Lucy:

Me too. I've been that kid my whole life & it's not fun nor fair.
countrymom 05:44 AM 01-22-2013
I would have also done a mini lesson too. I think it would have been different if you were giving out piddly things but you gave out some nice stuff. But then on the other hand its not really your fault that she's not there either.
CedarCreek 07:55 AM 01-22-2013
I would have done the mini lesson too. I felt horrible for the couple of kids that missed our Christmas crafts so I made snow globes and ornaments for them as well and asked their parents to stop by.
jokalima 10:12 AM 01-22-2013
I was just thinking about that, doing something in the pm that would include her and get her something nice. I did not do it because I was in "automatic" and she comes only 3 days and 1/2 day the 3 days so we talked about it Thursday pm an afternoon was crazy with a visitor and parents picking up early, Friday she was not here and then Sunday pm and Monday morning I thought "oh gosh I don't have anything for her" With this kind of things I do feel guilty, not always happens, for 3 kings day she was not here until 3 days after, and I did have a gift for her. LOL today the other girls brought their boots so I just asked them to keep it a secret for now and not tell no one they got boots for "dream day"
Tags:martin luther king day, wwyd
Reply Up