Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do
countrymom 11:18 AM 01-25-2011
with a kid who always says "I'm going to tell" he's 5. I know its a game he plays to get his way, but I'm so sick of hearing it a million times a day from him.
SandeeAR 11:20 AM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
with a kid who always says "I'm going to tell" he's 5. I know its a game he plays to get his way, but I'm so sick of hearing it a million times a day from him.
Is he saying it to you or trying to get another dck in trouble by telling on them?
dEHmom 11:21 AM 01-25-2011
One of the biggest things I learned watching shows like nanny 911 and such, is a reward system for the behaviors you want.

Maybe a jar system, every time he does something that good, he gets 1 ________ (not sure what to use, sticker, button, penny?) and every time he says it, he loses 1 or 2. The jar system works better on your own kids because you can give them money so they can go to the store on fridays and buy something.

Could do a poster, or magnet system, everytime good put the magnet up. everytime bad, remove 1 or 2. But they have to have a goal to work towards, and be able to visualize the loss due to bad behavior.
jen 11:34 AM 01-25-2011
If he's telling on you, I would say, "go for it!"

If he's saying it to the daycare kids, I would have him tell it to the tattling turtle. I don't know who it was here who came up with that...but it works like a charm.
kendallina 11:35 AM 01-25-2011
In a classroom I used to have of preschoolers when they came to me to tattle, I would immediately ask if they had blood. If the answer was no, I told them to go tell the president. We had a picture on the wall of the current president and they would go and tell the president. Usually the offending child went as well and defend their position to the president...lol. They got bored of it pretty quickly.
dEHmom 11:37 AM 01-25-2011
OHHHH what is the tattling turtle?!?!

Mine don't say the I'm telling too much, but they TATTLE all the time.

Please tell me tattling turtle.
I may try that instead of the reward system i mentioned.
SandeeAR 11:43 AM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
If he's telling on you, I would say, "go for it!"

If he's saying it to the daycare kids, I would have him tell it to the tattling turtle. I don't know who it was here who came up with that...but it works like a charm.

I agree!!!
jen 11:57 AM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by Baybee0585:
OHHHH what is the tattling turtle?!?!

Mine don't say the I'm telling too much, but they TATTLE all the time.

Please tell me tattling turtle.
I may try that instead of the reward system i mentioned.
Someone else on the board posted it awhile back...

You get yourself a turtle or a tiger or a something else that begins with T and when they start, you direct them to the "tattling turtle." I have also heard of another provider who hangs an ear on the wall and tells them to tell it to the ear! LOL!

A few times of talking to the turtle seems to cure it for the 4 and above crowd.
MarinaVanessa 12:09 PM 01-25-2011
Yup I have the tattling turtle and it works wonders. I'd much rather deal with a screaming child than a tattling child, it just gets on my nerves and to me is the equivalent of nails scratching a chalkboard.

It can be anything really I just chose a turtle because it starts with the same letter as tattle. You can have a tattling turtle, tattling tiger, tattling tadpole, tattling turkey, tattling tuna, tattling tapeworm ... whatever. Actually it doesn't have to even start with a T. For Halloween we had a tattling pumpkin so we could be festive in October and it was just a plastic jack-o-lantern about the size of a soccer ball. Designate a space for it (mine is in a basket right next to our crying corner) and anytime a DC kid wants to tattle on someone refer them to the tattling [enter name of object here]. I tell my littles that tattling turtle is always there when you need him and he's a great listener and he will never interupt or tell anyone your secrets. I tell them that the only times that they can "tattle" to me is if someone is in danger.
e.j. 03:08 PM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by kendallina:
I told them to go tell the president. We had a picture on the wall of the current president and they would go and tell the president.
Maybe it's the mood I'm in tonight but the picture in my head of this happening had me laughing out loud!
QualiTcare 09:37 PM 01-25-2011
tell who? his mom? i'd say, "i'll tell her for you," and then whatever it was he was going to "tell" about - i would tell his mom with him standing there to hear it. it won't be as fun if he knows you'll tell first and don't care.
MissAnn 03:23 AM 01-26-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:

I would let them tell tattle toad (I have a wood toad)
laundrymom 03:45 AM 01-26-2011
I have a Micky mouse and his big old ears are perfect lol. I just say go tell mickey. Lol. We tried the t words but Mickey had big ears. Lol so he won out.
Tags:tattle tail, wwyd
Reply Up