Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Claiming too Much!?!
Jennifer91 06:00 PM 02-24-2013
I'm going over my receipts from each month to make sure I didn't miss anything. Man, I feel dirty, I use TS% for almost anything non-edible, and I mean almost everything! Christmas decorations, mouse traps, lounge chairs etc... if my daycare kids use it or if I purchased it with a daycare use in mind, I've been claiming it. But it doesn't seem right. Is there a more ethical way to determine if you can claim something for daycare or not?
Jennifer91 07:32 PM 02-24-2013
Or maybe I should just give one or two examples:

Example #1-I bought a kid's recliner for my daughter. It was purchased with her in mind, but is kept in an area where the dc kids can use it to read their books (and they do use it).

Example #2- My DH bought a drill for personal use, but both of us have used it numerous times to install or repair items intended only for daycare use.

Tom Copeland mentioned in a response things that are "necessary and ordinary" can be deducted. I guess I feel I'm on a slippery slope with some of the deductions.
JoJo 07:52 PM 02-24-2013
Originally Posted by Jennifer91:

Example #1-I bought a kid's recliner for my daughter. It was purchased with her in mind, but is kept in an area where the dc kids can use it to read their books (and they do use it).

Example #2- My DH bought a drill for personal use, but both of us have used it numerous times to install or repair items intended only for daycare use.

Tom Copeland mentioned in a response things that are "necessary and ordinary" can be deducted. I guess I feel I'm on a slippery slope with some of the deductions.
OK you have me intrigued to see what the answer is. I have been claiming items similar to what you mention above, because as long as they are, necessary OR ordinary, I felt justified. I know it is just semantics, but Necessary AND ordinary can be viewed very differently than necessary OR ordinary. I hope your right or I may be redoing my taxes.
TomCopeland 10:02 AM 02-25-2013

You can deduct both of these because you are using them in your business and they are reasonable expenses.
TomCopeland 10:09 AM 02-25-2013

You can deduct both of these because you are using them in your business and they are reasonable expenses.
Tags:claims, deductions, space %, taxes, time
Reply Up