Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCP's say they are potty training...but you know they aren't...
Unregistered 09:51 AM 04-28-2015
How would you address this situation with a DCP...
DCG just turned 2. Has no interest in PT. Does not go on command. Does not tell me when she needs to go or when her diaper is wet. Does not go extended periods with a dry diaper.
Ever since DCG was enrolled, DCM likes to baby talk to her things to tell me right in front of me. DCM never talks to me unless I ask her a question. For the past couple of weeks, the morning conversation before she leaves has been, "S, make sure we tell Miss A we go pee pee in the potty now every 15 minutes, because we have a big girl pull up on and are doing such a good job at home!" Usually this passive aggressive conversation takes place while I am holding DCG or she has walked over to greet me. I can tell by DCGs interest, there is no way they are consistent with PT at home. My problems are that the child isn't ready, I have a crew of 8 (3 in diapers, 3 potty training, 2 potty trained) I do not have time to take her in every 15 minutes to let her sit for 5-10 minutes until she possibly might go, and finally, she still sends her in onsies. Here is my potty training section in my contract, which has been given to this parent twice.
Potty Training: I will not initiate this process, only reinforce what is being done at home. Do not send your child in regular underwear until they have remained accident free for at least 1 week, and notifies me when they need to use the restroom. Pull Ups are required for children that still have occasional accidents. I will not attempt potty training for children under the age of 18 months. If children are not able to notify me when they need to use the restroom, or having more than 3 accidents a day, please send child in regular diapers.
Potty Training Dress Code: Please do not bring your child in regular panties or underwear until it has been cleared with me. Children are usually ready for underwear when they are consistently accident free for a minimum of one week AND notify adults when they need to use the restroom or take themselves to the restroom without prompts. During toilet training, I ask that the child be dressed in 'user friendly' clothing as much as possible. The best items are shorts and pants with full elastic waists. Please refrain from using tight clothing, pants with snaps and zippers, belts, tights, long skirts/dresses or overalls. These are difficult for children to remove 'in a hurry'. If your child is wearing an outfit that they cannot remove by themselves, they will not feel confident in the training process.
How would you address this with DCPs?
Annalee 09:58 AM 04-28-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How would you address this situation with a DCP...
DCG just turned 2. Has no interest in PT. Does not go on command. Does not tell me when she needs to go or when her diaper is wet. Does not go extended periods with a dry diaper.
Ever since DCG was enrolled, DCM likes to baby talk to her things to tell me right in front of me. DCM never talks to me unless I ask her a question. For the past couple of weeks, the morning conversation before she leaves has been, "S, make sure we tell Miss A we go pee pee in the potty now every 15 minutes, because we have a big girl pull up on and are doing such a good job at home!" Usually this passive aggressive conversation takes place while I am holding DCG or she has walked over to greet me. I can tell by DCGs interest, there is no way they are consistent with PT at home. My problems are that the child isn't ready, I have a crew of 8 (3 in diapers, 3 potty training, 2 potty trained) I do not have time to take her in every 15 minutes to let her sit for 5-10 minutes until she possibly might go, and finally, she still sends her in onsies. Here is my potty training section in my contract, which has been given to this parent twice.
Potty Training: I will not initiate this process, only reinforce what is being done at home. Do not send your child in regular underwear until they have remained accident free for at least 1 week, and notifies me when they need to use the restroom. Pull Ups are required for children that still have occasional accidents. I will not attempt potty training for children under the age of 18 months. If children are not able to notify me when they need to use the restroom, or having more than 3 accidents a day, please send child in regular diapers.
Potty Training Dress Code: Please do not bring your child in regular panties or underwear until it has been cleared with me. Children are usually ready for underwear when they are consistently accident free for a minimum of one week AND notify adults when they need to use the restroom or take themselves to the restroom without prompts. During toilet training, I ask that the child be dressed in 'user friendly' clothing as much as possible. The best items are shorts and pants with full elastic waists. Please refrain from using tight clothing, pants with snaps and zippers, belts, tights, long skirts/dresses or overalls. These are difficult for children to remove 'in a hurry'. If your child is wearing an outfit that they cannot remove by themselves, they will not feel confident in the training process.
How would you address this with DCPs?
I have in my handbook that there is no certain age to begin potty training and I will make the decision when to begin based on each child's progress. I work with my mom and she has a knack for when to do certain things like when to take the bottle, pacifier, potty, etc. She is a great help to me especially when my boys were babies. I LOVE IT because I definitely do not have this knack! Anyway, we have been pottying 2 little girls here the past two weeks and they potty all day for us but will not potty for parents at home...to the point of throwing tantrums. I guess I have the opposite problem but I find it funny for the parents of these kids in my child care
nannyde 10:07 AM 04-28-2015
The aggressive aggressive talk to you thru the kid is her way of saying i'm the boss of you AND Pookie is the boss of you." No more no less

I would respond with "S make sure you tell Mommy that you must have a full time potty staff assistant for you to get you on that lil potty every fifteen minutes. It will be ten dollars an hour for the nine hours your cute little adorable self is here every day but it shouldn't take more than a few months to get your little gifted self trained. Tell Mommy you KNOW that it's going to be berry berry expensive but just THINK of all the money she will save on diapers."

Then look at S and say "Don't worry sweetie, mommy will gladly pay for your potty nanny. She loves you to the moon and back! Give mom a big squeeze and say goodbye now."

Then look at Mom and say "let me know when you are ready to hire her potty assistant. I will start interviewing for her now. Her fees need to be paid upfront on Friday for the upcoming week in addition to S's tuition.

OR

If that is too pricey for you we can pop her on the potty when we do diaper changes and any time she asks to go potty. That's at no additional charge. "
DaisyMamma 11:57 AM 04-28-2015
That's an annoying way to communicate with you, but anyway.... Smile and nod your head. When she picks up the child, she can ask the child directly how it went, as I'm sure she does. so, just let the child answer
Reply Up