Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vacuum
blueclouds29 09:52 AM 06-28-2011
Do you guys ever vacuum while the kids are there? I just never have, i wait till night but it would be nice to do it quickly while they are playing and before parents pick up. Are there any cleaning that you do or don't do while the kids are there?
Just curious... that's all....
Meeko 09:59 AM 06-28-2011
I vacuum several times day! We make a game of it. While I vacuum this end of the room, the kids are all at the other. When this side is done......ready.....set......switch! They laugh as they run to the other side of the room.
laundrymom 10:07 AM 06-28-2011
I do at 7 am, to get up any fuzzier from early morning laundry session, after nap, and after they go home.
DaycareMama 10:12 AM 06-28-2011
I vacume multiple times a day myself. I bought a cordless stick vacume to use instead of pulling out the big one so much. I vacume after every meal (around the table) the enterence way depending on what gets tracked in a couple times.
We are in one room all day so if the floors get dirty you cant hide it

I do want to say I bought a $30 stick vacume from walmart and love it more then my dyson!! We pull out the birdseed and this vacume cleans it up like its nothing. The dyson ...... not so much. Its also not so loud so I can clean up during nap and not wake the kids
meganlavonnesmommy 10:12 AM 06-28-2011
Yep. I vacuum several times a day. I have a large regular vacuum I do twice a week. But on the other days, and several times during the day, I use a small shark stick vac. It's not as big, loud or cumbersome as the large vacuum, so its easy to bring out to pick up a few crumbs. I, personally, hate the shark brand, they dont last long, so am looking into a dirt devil for next time. But I couldnt live without my small vac.
youretooloud 10:25 AM 06-28-2011
LOL...

Sometimes, when we have been trapped inside for too long...

I turn on the shopvac and chase them through the house with it.
laundrymom 10:30 AM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by DaycareMama:
I vacume multiple times a day myself. I bought a cordless stick vacume to use instead of pulling out the big one so much. I vacume after every meal (around the table) the enterence way depending on what gets tracked in a couple times.
We are in one room all day so if the floors get dirty you cant hide it

I do want to say I bought a $30 stick vacume from walmart and love it more then my dyson!! We pull out the birdseed and this vacume cleans it up like its nothing. The dyson ...... not so much. Its also not so loud so I can clean up during nap and not wake the kids
Can you shorten the handle?
daycare 10:31 AM 06-28-2011
i vacuum several times a day, after meals and every day at 5:00 pm.

when I vacuum at 5pm, i give the kids books to read so that they are busy doing something if they get bored of books, they get puzzles.

only one parent has ever said anything and I told them that i cant leave messes for the kids to further dirty my house. they seemd to understand.
Lianne 10:34 AM 06-28-2011
I have the kids vacuum. They love it and see it as a big kid responsibility. They even argue over whose turn it is to vacuum, lol
KEG123 10:40 AM 06-28-2011
I never have. But, I would if something needed vacuuming. I normally do it every other day after they leave.
Cat Herder 10:55 AM 06-28-2011
Several times a day.

I also Mop twice a day.
e.j. 11:10 AM 06-28-2011
If the kids have dropped so much food (or playdoh, little pieces of paper, etc...) on the floor that I can't pick it up quickly with a dustpan and small broom, I'll vacuum. Otherwise, I try to wait until they're all gone before I do any kind of cleaning. I've always worried that if my licensor or a parent walked in, they might assume I do housework while I'm supposed to be caring for the kids.
Country Kids 11:16 AM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by e.j.:
If the kids have dropped so much food (or playdoh, little pieces of paper, etc...) on the floor that I can't pick it up quickly with a dustpan and small broom, I'll vacuum. Otherwise, I try to wait until they're all gone before I do any kind of cleaning. I've always worried that if my licensor or a parent walked in, they might assume I do housework while I'm supposed to be caring for the kids.
Same here! I actually have had parents ask if I do any type of housework when the kids are here. That lets me know that they are paying for my time with their children not to be cleaning my house. Now, I will try to do some things during naptime but it almost always seems I still need to in the daycare room because someone can't settle down. So pretty much all housework is done after I close.
DaycareMama 11:17 AM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Can you shorten the handle?
No not on this one. But it does bend in the middle to go under things better. This is a purple shark, only had it maybe 4 months so im not sure how long it will last.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Euro-Pro-O...acuum/14320857

The handle looks like this one.
BusyBee 11:24 AM 06-28-2011
Every day! I fit it in while we are having snack upstairs, or when we are down I do it right after they clean up and are transitioning to another activity. Some things just are part of the daily maintenance.
My Daycare 11:39 AM 06-28-2011
2 times a day. At nap time, I put them into their playpens and by the time I am done vacuuming, they are sleeping.
nannyde 12:05 PM 06-28-2011
Our goal is to get everything we can possibly do DONE while the kids are in the house and AWAKE.
Blackcat31 12:25 PM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
LOL...

Sometimes, when we have been trapped inside for too long...

I turn on the shopvac and chase them through the house with it.
I do this too!

Originally Posted by Lianne:
I have the kids vacuum. They love it and see it as a big kid responsibility. They even argue over whose turn it is to vacuum, lol
I have kids ask if they can vacuum too...I don't usually let them as I don't want anyone misinterpreting that I have some violation of child labor laws going on.. and oddly, it seems to be boys who ask the most often. Maybe I should just let them and call it "husband training"
Cat Herder 12:34 PM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I actually have had parents ask if I do any type of housework when the kids are here.
Me, too.. That is one of the red flags for me to end the interview and wish them a nice afternoon and safe drive home.
nannyde 12:39 PM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Me, too.. That is one of the red flags for me to end the interview and wish them a nice afternoon and safe drive home.
It definitely can be a red flag BUT often when you answer it they go... oh... okay... that makes sense.

I just say "of course we do housework while the kids are up. It's a HOME day care. We want to have everything done when the last kid walks out the door so we can have family time with our family."
Cat Herder 12:42 PM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
It definitely can be a red flag BUT often when you answer it they go... oh... okay... that makes sense.

I just say "of course we do housework while the kids are up. It's a HOME day care. We want to have everything done when the last kid walks out the door so we can have family time with our family."
Your right....

It is all about the TONE of how they ask.

If it is "How do you get it all done??!! Please teach me.." I will be her best friend forever.
55CMK83 07:25 PM 06-28-2011
I typically vacuum 3x a day - morning, after lunch and after snack. Mind you, I do not do daycare in my home reasoning I don't vacuum right after the kids leave, but in the morning when I get to work.
anabel 12:28 PM 06-30-2011
I never have done until this week , now I vacuum in the am, after lunch I gate the kids from the kitchen and sweep and mop (I have to do this, the babies are the messiest I have EVER come across), and I also now - after reading this thread - will be vacuuming in the pm after the majority of the kids have left.
MarinaVanessa 12:39 PM 06-30-2011
I vacuum as needed throughout the day sometimes 3x's a day. I also spot mop and dust as needed. It just drives me crazy to have a messy house. I'll b playing on the rug and notice that there is debree and particles on it and I'll grab the vacuum. All the kids sit on the couch while I do it and then they go on their merry way. I wouldn't want my son playing on a dirty rug so I don't expect my DC kids to either. If I see a spot on the floor I'll mop it too. Dust? Just takes a few seconds to dust it off. I also wash the dishes, wash the cleaning rags, throw a load in, load/unload the dishwasher and check for cobwebs. Nothing major. Once DC is over I can sweep and mop really well.
DEBBIES DAYCARE 04:24 PM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by blueclouds29:
Do you guys ever vacuum while the kids are there? I just never have, i wait till night but it would be nice to do it quickly while they are playing and before parents pick up. Are there any cleaning that you do or don't do while the kids are there?
Just curious... that's all....
I do a deep clean on friday night or saturday morn(disinfect and break out all the chemicals) but I usually keep up all day. I have hardwood floors so I break out my trusty swiffer. I vacuum as well, especially if theres glitter and stuff. During free play I may spot wash the windows on the inside of little prints. I wash all my dishes after meals. I throw laundry in ( on same floor) dry it and then fold it in the daycare room while kids play. Somedays I even get dinner prepped. My husband is around alot during the day so he gets either put to work or asked to watch the kiddies for a few. Sometimes I am on top of it all and as the last child leaves, I merely flick off the lights. Other days barely had time to GO potty much less clean the toilet!
Tags:cleanliness, routine housekeeping
Reply Up