Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interviewing
3myjob 12:38 PM 03-17-2012
One of my precious DCGs (2 yrs old) will be moving states away in a couple months . I'm so sad about it. I've got an excellent group of kids right now. I wish I could say the same about the parents

Really all of them are wonderful except for one. DCMs children have been enrolled with me for almost 3 years. Her children are here for 12 hours a day, she constantly adds to my work load (getting the kids dressed, teeth brushed, hair done), and then to top it off at least a couple times a month she says in her own way how what I'm doing isn't good enough. The DCG (4 years old) definitely craves attention but for the most part is pretty well behaved. My DD is also best buds with the little girl otherwise I would have termed this family long ago.

I have another family who is expecting and will plan to bring their baby in the late fall. I thought I would just not fill the spot of the DCG moving away because of the baby coming but after talking to my hubby I decided that maybe I should go ahead and fill the spot. Then when the baby is born and enrolls If I don't have an opening at that time I can term the family that is causing me so many problems.

I've already had some potential clients contact me for the spot this summer. How do you tell them nicely that you will be interviewing several clients for the opening? I really really want to make sure I find someone that fits into the rest of the group well.

Also I know when it comes time to term the other family what do I say?
PolarCare 01:46 PM 03-17-2012
"I'll be interviewing several families for my open spot. It's really important to me to make sure whichever family I accept is the best match for the existing group. I'll let you know my final decision by (insert date)."

As for terming...the mom sounds like a pain. I always keep it simple.

"Effective (this date) I will no continue to provide daycare services for your family."

I reserve the right to refuse service to anyone at any time for any reason. As long as you give them the agreed amount of notice per your contract, it shouldn't be a problem. If pressed for details, i wouldn't have a problem telling a pilly daycare mom "I'm accepting a sibling from another family who is currently enrolled. Continuing care for your family would put me over ratio, and this family averages 9 hours a day, whereas you average 12. It's simply numbers."
cheerfuldom 01:54 PM 03-17-2012
I am all for filling the spot immediately. Anything can happen before late fall and thats a long time to hold a spot for a child, unpaid. I wouldn't worry about what to tell this other family. Thats still months away. See how you feel about things when it comes about. If you feel that you have to give an answer, just say that you are sticking with toddlers and babies only for now. But also, are you sure that the parents are not planning to put this 4 year old in preschool next fall?
3myjob 02:21 PM 03-17-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I am all for filling the spot immediately. Anything can happen before late fall and thats a long time to hold a spot for a child, unpaid. I wouldn't worry about what to tell this other family. Thats still months away. See how you feel about things when it comes about. If you feel that you have to give an answer, just say that you are sticking with toddlers and babies only for now. But also, are you sure that the parents are not planning to put this 4 year old in preschool next fall?
Yes she will be in preschool next fall from 8am-11am but will still attend daycare before/after school. I also care for her older sister (7) who is school from 8-3.
cheerfuldom 05:33 PM 03-17-2012
Why not just go to full time kids? That might be a good time to make the transition. I dont know what your experience has been but mine is that full timers are ALWAYS easier than the coming and going from part timers. With all the transitions with the other kids....may be a good excuse to drop this sibling set?
Tags:interview
Reply Up