Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need some help
Ami 03:04 PM 10-04-2015
Hello people,

I am a newbie here and also in starting a home daycare. We bought a new single family in a newer community just to pursue my dream of having my own home daycare. We decided to finish the whole basement so i can utilize it without having a space problem. Till now i was thinking to take kids upstairs during lunch time and we all can eat there. But my confusion is, i will be having kids of all ages from infant to 4 years old. Not all can hold railing and walk up. And we are not planning to have a small kitchen area in basement. I will have a refrigerator and microwave in my basement. I also have a small conventional oven which i can keep it in my basement.

Do you all feed the kids in basement or take them to kitchen. If you take them to kitchen how do you manage all age group and if you have lunch in basement how do you cook there? TIA
LysesKids 05:27 PM 10-04-2015
I would check with licensing to make sure your basement is allowed, in some states it's not if you take infants... 2 exits are mandatory (not a window, but an actual door to outside is required as one in most states) you just never know unless you have the regulations in hand; another provider just found out she can't use her basement at all
Thriftylady 09:00 AM 10-05-2015
Check the regs for sure. But then I would set up a small place in the basement for your microwave, oven, crock pot, maybe an electric skillet. Set up a little mini kitchen down there. You don't have to have an actual "stove" and you can always prepare lunch ahead of time like the night before (planned overs maybe?) and just reheat them for lunch.
littletots 10:16 AM 10-05-2015
I agree about checking if basement use is OK. My license will not allow unless it has walkout door & yes, a second exit. I use a toaster oven & microwave. No stove. The toaster oven does everything a oven would do. My FCC is in a 1bedroom guest house (aka cottage) on my 4acre property.
sahm1225 11:16 AM 10-05-2015
I use my basement, but we made a bedroom in the basement and use it as the kitchen. I have a microwave, cabinets and full size fridge. I prep all the meals the night before and use the microwave to heat up.
daycarediva 11:16 AM 10-05-2015
I could do a basement in my state with 2 egresses, one has to be a door and one can be a window with stairs attached.

I would do a mini basement kitchen. I prep everything in advance, so it would just need to be reheated.

Taking 6 kids up and down stairs at the most hectic time of day? ohhh no that doesn't sound fun
Ami 07:50 PM 10-05-2015
Thank you all for great and helpful comments. My house will have a walk up basement. There are many licensed home day care who operates from basement including a preschool where i work currently. So i don't think there will be a problem using a basement as FHDC. I liked the idea of preparing lunch ahead of time may be in morning before kids come and put it in one room in basement where i am planning to keep a microwave and refrigerator.

I am planning to offer different kinds of pasta, cheese quesadillas, chicken nuggets, fish sticks etc which i will make it in morning. So for storing that can any one recommend any insulation box where it can stay warm till 11.30 or 12.00. I think warming pasta or mac and cheese in microwave should not be a problem but i am not sure how will baked chicken nuggets taste if reheated in microwave. ( I am vegetarian and don't eat any kind of meat so i am not sure how it tastes if gets cold). Thank you once again for sharing your experiences.
LysesKids 06:41 AM 10-06-2015
Originally Posted by Ami:
Thank you all for great and helpful comments. My house will have a walk up basement. There are many licensed home day care who operates from basement including a preschool where i work currently. So i don't think there will be a problem using a basement as FHDC. I liked the idea of preparing lunch ahead of time may be in morning before kids come and put it in one room in basement where i am planning to keep a microwave and refrigerator.

I am planning to offer different kinds of pasta, cheese quesadillas, chicken nuggets, fish sticks etc which i will make it in morning. So for storing that can any one recommend any insulation box where it can stay warm till 11.30 or 12.00. I think warming pasta or mac and cheese in microwave should not be a problem but i am not sure how will baked chicken nuggets taste if reheated in microwave. ( I am vegetarian and don't eat any kind of meat so i am not sure how it tastes if gets cold). Thank you once again for sharing your experiences.
If you are on the food program you can't cook food & hold it for more than 15 minutes... Fish & anything coated or with a crust would be nasty after holding too. Figure a way to cook when it's needed - I personally don't do microwaves ever (don't own one) - doesn't reheat certain foods well at all.

I understand the vegetarian thing, I was one for years... why not make 75% of menu vegetarian (Lacto Ova) and serve actual meat products Part time. My kiddies eat tons of Ethnic veg meals and the parents don't complain... even the food program allows certain meat substitutes. Just make sure you serve complete proteins & you'll do fine.
laundrymom 10:51 AM 10-06-2015
Originally Posted by Ami:

I don't serve premade nuggets so I'm unsure but what I have done is use a panini maker (or waffle iron) and I cube chicken, coat in breadcrumbs and pop in the panini. It cooks the chicken and has a nice, fast turnaround.
Or a toaster oven.
Heidi 11:08 AM 10-06-2015
Personally, I'd just skip the processed, premade anything. No chicken nuggets or fish sticks. In fact, when you interview people, you can brag about that.

I serve pretty much only whole grains and home-made foods. I do use frozen veggies, and once about every 2 months or so a fish stick or hot dog crosses their plate.
Ami 01:37 PM 10-06-2015
Thanks a ton for the inputs. One last favor. Can you guys share your weekly or monthly menus. The place where i work right now, she serves lot of processed food but as i assist her she has enough time to go upstairs and put every thing in oven when i am with kids.

As i don't eat meat and I am so embarrassed to confess but i don't even know how to cook any meat items. Am i left with any option. Or should i just ask parents to pack healthy lunch.
Reply Up