Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Prescreening Prior to Interview
childcaremom 02:11 PM 04-09-2016
What questions do you ask perspective dcfs.... before setting up an interview?

I do ask the typical questions about schedules, days, full or part time, child been in care prior, allergies, etc but have had some doozy interviews that were clearly not good fits.

I like to get families who believe in outdoor time, good, healthy foods and free play.

Wondering if there are some other good questions that I can ask to help narrow down the search before setting up an interview.
ColorfulSunburst 02:44 PM 04-09-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
What questions do you ask perspective dcfs.... before setting up an interview?
I ask nothing. I also do not answer any questions, especially a question about price. I have got a few customers by recommendations of people who had an interview but were not able to afford my price.
ColorfulSunburst 02:54 PM 04-09-2016
Even more: I like parents who call and ask just one question "when can we come to see your daycare?"
All kids that I have now got enrolled this way.
Josiegirl 03:03 PM 04-09-2016
To be honest, I don't think the questions I ask would screen out the families who wouldn't be a good fit. The only questions I ask over the phone are the hours needed, what they're looking for in a daycare, age of child, if they've been in dc before, any allergies or special needs I'd have to be aware of. I have dogs so if they're deathly afraid or allergic, there's no reason to continue the process.
Everything else I learn at the interview. You can tell a lot more once you meet them in person. and even so sometimes their 'other side' doesn't show until they've been in care for awhile anyways.
Unregistered 05:10 PM 04-09-2016
What are you looking for/what is important to you in child care.
finsup 05:34 PM 04-09-2016
What I ask doesn't really rule out the crazy people But I typically ask days/hours, age of child, and what's important to them in terms of care. I do tell everyone 3 things, we are faith based, on the water and have a dog. 95% of the time those things aren't an issue but sometimes, especially being on the water, can be a deal breaker for a family. I like them to know up front so we don't waste each other's time. I also give them a rate quote before starting. If that all goes well, it's a good start! I like parents who will chat a bit beforehand about what they expect vs what I provide etc but lately it's been tough to even get people to say what days and hours they need. Let alone anything else!
Tags:interview, screening parents
Reply Up