Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Linus needs to grow up
Poptarts22 10:38 AM 09-30-2016
First thing I cover in my handbook is security blankets and "lovies ". I let parents know that if a child has a blanket or special lovie that they can't live without, then don't bring it here. We can and will survive the day without it and I don't want a parent to think it is my place to keep track of sending it home with them. Well, I have a part time DCB3 who started last Monday. Noticed a stuffed animal in his diaper bag, but have never gotten it out for him. Fast forward to 2:30 am Wednesday morning when my cell rings by my bed. I leap to answer it and don't even look at caller ID. I have a parent in hospice care and two children in law enforcement-these are the times my heart sinks. It is this DCM! She says her little snowflake has been up all night looking for his "bubby " and asks if I could possibly take a quick peak and see if he is there? I responded in my most incredulous "are you serious" voice and told her that I would look for it in the morning during daycare hours. The last two mornings at drop off she has made a big production of telling her son "too be sure to search high and low for bubby". She must be dwelling on it at home too because the dcb has asked me many times for it. I DONT HAVE IT !!!!!!!!
This morning when I habddd her the invoice for this weeks care, I included a $15 charge...which is my hourly late pickup fee. I feel like because she choose to contact me at such an outrageous hour over such a stupid reason, that I need to send a message about imposing on my personal time. Am I being too sensitive?
daycarediva 10:52 AM 09-30-2016
NO you're not! That was BEYOND rude.

I allow them IF they have a second to keep here ONLY.
Rockgirl 10:58 AM 09-30-2016
It was absolutely ridiculous for her to call you at that hour! However, I'm not sure I would charge her, unless there's something in your contract about that kind of issue. It doesn't really fall under a late pickup, kwim? I would definitely address the phone call, though.
happymom 11:07 AM 09-30-2016
Holy crap. I can not imagine doing this!

When my son was 3, he brought his stuffed Mickey to school on "show and tell day" (the only time they are allowed to bring something from home)...

On the playground that day, he got hurt/blacked out and I had to take him to get stitches. When we left the doctors office, he remembered Mickey (what a relief for me that he was remembering stuff), but the daycare center was closing in 5 minutes. I called right away to see if someone was still there and we could come get Mickey.....and they let us, and I got to fill out the ouch report/get filled in on the injury as well.

That was actually the event that brought me to this board, and then I just grew attached to all you guys and gals. But any other time that something got left at daycare....NOPE, SORRY, we'll get it on Monday....
Unregistered 11:19 AM 09-30-2016
Any parent who called me about anything at 2:30AM would be terminated. Period. There is no excuse for calling at that hour.
Silly Songs 11:23 AM 09-30-2016
That is beyond crazy that she contacted you at that hour. What was she going to do, drive over and get it if you had it ? My children had lovies that they sometimes left places, we looked around before bed and if we couldn't find it we looked and talked about where it might be in the morning ! I agree that it means more to mom than it does to the little guy.
e.j. 11:37 AM 09-30-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
It was absolutely ridiculous for her to call you at that hour! However, I'm not sure I would charge her, unless there's something in your contract about that kind of issue. It doesn't really fall under a late pickup, kwim? I would definitely address the phone call, though.
I'd be livid if I were in your shoes and I'd definitely be speaking with her at drop off the next day about it but I wouldn't have put a late pick up fee on her invoice unless your handbook includes a policy about this kind of thing. On the other hand....Good for you! Hopefully she'll offer a sincere apology along with full payment.
JackandJill 12:53 PM 09-30-2016
The next time dcm brings it up at drop off, I would look right at dck and say loud and clear, "I have told mommy, lovie isn't at Miss A's house." and then let mom know that is that last time it will be brought up at your house.

I can not stand parents who do things like this!
delferka 12:56 PM 09-30-2016
I had a little girl that tripped on her blanket and broke her leg! No blankets unless it's bedtime!!!
Originally Posted by Poptarts22:
First thing I cover in my handbook is security blankets and "lovies ". I let parents know that if a child has a blanket or special lovie that they can't live without, then don't bring it here. We can and will survive the day without it and I don't want a parent to think it is my place to keep track of sending it home with them. Well, I have a part time DCB3 who started last Monday. Noticed a stuffed animal in his diaper bag, but have never gotten it out for him. Fast forward to 2:30 am Wednesday morning when my cell rings by my bed. I leap to answer it and don't even look at caller ID. I have a parent in hospice care and two children in law enforcement-these are the times my heart sinks. It is this DCM! She says her little snowflake has been up all night looking for his "bubby " and asks if I could possibly take a quick peak and see if he is there? I responded in my most incredulous "are you serious" voice and told her that I would look for it in the morning during daycare hours. The last two mornings at drop off she has made a big production of telling her son "too be sure to search high and low for bubby". She must be dwelling on it at home too because the dcb has asked me many times for it. I DONT HAVE IT !!!!!!!!
This morning when I habddd her the invoice for this weeks care, I included a $15 charge...which is my hourly late pickup fee. I feel like because she choose to contact me at such an outrageous hour over such a stupid reason, that I need to send a message about imposing on my personal time. Am I being too sensitive?

Blackcat31 01:40 PM 09-30-2016
Blankets brought from home daily = scabies, lice, bed bugs....

No thank you!
Meeko 01:53 PM 09-30-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

No thank you!
Exactly...ugh!! I provide all nap time blankets. Each child has their own specific one, but it never leaves daycare. And they are only allowed to have it at nap time. Dragging a blanket around is such a tripping hazard.

I would have termed after a 2:30AM phone call. That parent is just plain ignorant.
LostMyMarbles 01:59 PM 09-30-2016
Linus isn't the problem. Linus' parents, however, are. In my contract I have instilled a no contact before 7am or after 7pm. ONLY in case of emergency, i.e. Hospitalization, serious illness, death. A forgot book, toy, blanket, or passie DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY.

My favorite saying, lack of planning our your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Maybe an addendum to you contract about after hour contact may be in order for Mr. and Mrs. Incondisterate
Josiegirl 03:21 PM 09-30-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

No thank you!
Good point! Ugh and yuck
And 2:30 in the a.m.??? Wow, she's got some nerve! No question as to who calls the shots in that household.
midaycare 06:34 PM 09-30-2016
I just can't with people sometimes.

I can't wait to see what that generation will end up like. Millennials get their fee fees hurt enough as it is. I can just imagine Linus going for to work at his first serious job. Maybe his mommy can call his boss and help him out?
Reply Up