Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>TQFT (tax question for Tom)
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 10:32 PM 02-18-2018
I am sitting here with my copy of the 2017 Tax Workbook and Organizer, and I think I have most everything under control. However, I have a utilities question.

At the beginning of last year, we had major septic issues when the system froze up and had to have the tank pumped every 3-4 weeks. The books says "sewage" expenses go under utilities (Form 8829 line 20), so I put the cost there, but it makes my utility amount quite high. Is this the right place for that expense?

Also, after walking through the book and the forms, I'm feeling like I can do this myself (our personal side is super simple as well). It would save us money to not pay someone to redo the work I just did, and the book has lots of warnings about the software, so... Is that a crazy idea?
TomCopeland 08:38 PM 02-19-2018
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
I am sitting here with my copy of the 2017 Tax Workbook and Organizer, and I think I have most everything under control. However, I have a utilities question.

At the beginning of last year, we had major septic issues when the system froze up and had to have the tank pumped every 3-4 weeks. The books says "sewage" expenses go under utilities (Form 8829 line 20), so I put the cost there, but it makes my utility amount quite high. Is this the right place for that expense?

Also, after walking through the book and the forms, I'm feeling like I can do this myself (our personal side is super simple as well). It would save us money to not pay someone to redo the work I just did, and the book has lots of warnings about the software, so... Is that a crazy idea?
Yes, list the sewage cost under utilities. Don't worry that it seems high - that's where it goes.
Tens of thousands of providers do their own taxes and have used my book to help them. That's the purpose of the book!
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 08:31 AM 02-20-2018
Thank you!

And thank you for publishing the book!!! It made the muddy water much clearer. And dare I say, it was kind of fun once I got going on it.
Tags:deduction - utilities, time space percentage
Reply Up