Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Windows & Siding
Reimel61 07:55 PM 03-07-2018
I have replaced 11 of 21 windows and had new siding on the gables of the house in 2017 spending $9,000. Windows were energy efficient. How will this be treated on my taxes this year?

Thanks
TomCopeland 10:50 AM 03-08-2018
Originally Posted by Reimel61:
I have replaced 11 of 21 windows and had new siding on the gables of the house in 2017 spending $9,000. Windows were energy efficient. How will this be treated on my taxes this year?

Thanks
Tricky question. If you did the work before September 27, 2017 you can treat the new windows as a repair if you replaced less than half of the windows. Since you didn't, you must depreciate them as a home improvement over 39 years using the 50% bonus rule. Same answer for the siding. If you did the work after September 27, 2017 you can treat both expenses as a repair and deduct them in one year.
Reimel61 04:07 PM 03-09-2018
ok I counted wrong. Forgot about the two windows upstairs bedroom (cape cod) style with slanted ceilings. So i actually have 23 total windows. 2 of those are basement window well windows (or hopper windows). The window wells were in the count of 11 that got replaced last year. Do they count as a regular window?? I did have the work done before September 27, 2017.

So if i had 11 replaced (2 being window well windows) and still have 12 to go I can treat it as a repair??
TomCopeland 12:46 PM 03-10-2018
Originally Posted by Reimel61:
ok I counted wrong. Forgot about the two windows upstairs bedroom (cape cod) style with slanted ceilings. So i actually have 23 total windows. 2 of those are basement window well windows (or hopper windows). The window wells were in the count of 11 that got replaced last year. Do they count as a regular window?? I did have the work done before September 27, 2017.

So if i had 11 replaced (2 being window well windows) and still have 12 to go I can treat it as a repair??
This makes a difference. Since you did the work before September 27th, you can treat this as a repair and deduct your time-space% of this cost in one year, regardless of the cost.
Tags:deduction - home improvement
Reply Up