Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Insurance/Liability Question Re Transportation
Mom2Two 04:26 PM 03-23-2018
I currently have an umbrella policy through American Family to raise my homeowners and auto liability insurance to $1M for my business. The underwriter made it cost $400 for thep past year, and we also raised liability on our auto policies.

The reason I didn't go through Assure is because they don't cover transportation. But now that my umbrella policy is up for renew, I'm getting charged $900 for the coming year. The insurance office assistant is looking into why it more than doubled, but she isn't sure yet.

I'm considering going with Assure over this issue and no longer transporting daycare kids. But I'm wondering what would happen if I needed to transport for medical care or another emergency and something happened. Am I likely to have any liability coverage for my daycare kids?
Blackcat31 04:34 PM 03-23-2018
I have homeowners and auto coverage through AmFam and liability coverage through Assure.

If I transported kids I’d need a higher coverage level for my auto but I don’t transport for any reason.

I don’t know....There’s no emergency I can think of where I’d be able to drive but emergency services couldn’t kwim?

Personally, I’d call 911 before transporting a DCK under any circumstances (because of the liability aspects)

Sad that liability impacts everything....
TomCopeland 07:53 PM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
I currently have an umbrella policy through American Family to raise my homeowners and auto liability insurance to $1M for my business. The underwriter made it cost $400 for thep past year, and we also raised liability on our auto policies.

The reason I didn't go through Assure is because they don't cover transportation. But now that my umbrella policy is up for renew, I'm getting charged $900 for the coming year. The insurance office assistant is looking into why it more than doubled, but she isn't sure yet.

I'm considering going with Assure over this issue and no longer transporting daycare kids. But I'm wondering what would happen if I needed to transport for medical care or another emergency and something happened. Am I likely to have any liability coverage for my daycare kids?
Make sure your umbrella policy will cover you as a family child care provider. Some umbrella policies only raise the limits on personal coverage. If there is an accident in your car, your car insurance would cover you, not your business liability insurance. So, be absolutely positive that you would be covered by your car insurance if you transported children, even once.
Tags:insurance - auto, tom copeland, transportation
Reply Up