Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Divorced Parents. How Many Tax Forms To Provide
Unregistered 03:33 PM 04-09-2018
Divorced parents. Contract with mom. Mom pays. I gave mom the tax form.

Dcd is now asking for a form.

In MN what do I need to provide?
storybookending 03:50 PM 04-09-2018
I would ask the mom about it. Typically it doesn’t matter what parent pays as often times divorced parents have to switch off who can claim the children as dependents in any given year.
Blackcat31 04:57 PM 04-09-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Divorced parents. Contract with mom. Mom pays. I gave mom the tax form.

Dcd is now asking for a form.

In MN what do I need to provide?
Provide the form to who paid you
The rest is up to them to sort out

Also in MN

Tell dad to talk to mom.
Unregistered 08:04 PM 04-09-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Provide the form to who paid you
The rest is up to them to sort out

Also in MN

Tell dad to talk to mom.
This is what I did, thanks for the reassurance. Dcd is just being difficult. I had to tell him two separate times to work it out amongst themselves and to keep me out of the middle, as I am a neutral party to their kids.
daycarediva 03:36 AM 04-10-2018
That was a lesson learned from me, I was audited because both parents paid, I gave a tax form with the ANNUAL TOTAL, specifically stated each portion which parent paid. They both claimed the kid/full amount.

Nope. Never again.
TomCopeland 09:27 AM 04-10-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This is what I did, thanks for the reassurance. Dcd is just being difficult. I had to tell him two separate times to work it out amongst themselves and to keep me out of the middle, as I am a neutral party to their kids.
Tell dad to back off. You are doing the right thing. Refuse to discuss this with him anymore.
hwichlaz 12:54 PM 04-18-2018
I give it to the person that paid me. Period.
hwichlaz 01:11 PM 04-18-2018
It’s entirely possible that he’s reimbursing her for a portion of the childcare...and if they have an agreement that he claims the child on his taxes....etc.

However, that’s not your problem. It’s between the two of them to work out.
rosieteddy 09:35 AM 04-21-2018
What about just giving him a copy.Maybe you could give a receipt saying monies paid by other parent for said child.I do not think I would want bad feelings between either parent and myself.There must be some kind of form out there that addresses this issue.
LysesKids 02:16 PM 04-22-2018
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
What about just giving him a copy.Maybe you could give a receipt saying monies paid by other parent for said child. I do not think I would want bad feelings between either parent and myself.There must be some kind of form out there that addresses this issue.
When dealing with divorced parents, I only give the W-10 form to the one that contracted my services; it's in my policies that I am not to be involved in their family/legal issues whether it's $$ or otherwise. What if both parents try & claim the child because they both have a copy of the form or receipts for payment, then you risk being Audited just like daycare diva was...
rosieteddy 02:22 PM 04-22-2018
I get it. I was just thinking maybe there was some way to avoid conflict with the dad.I would not want to be audited .I was thinking more on terms of a form saying the other parent paid ,maybe not list amount.
sharlan 09:14 PM 05-15-2018
I experienced this this year. Dcm paid, dcd claimed without using my tax id, not sure how.

Knowing dcd had already claimed, I didn't give a statement to dcm because I didn't want them both to claim.

I had a dcm ask for my info a few years ago, only dcd pays. I refused. Her tax person said, no problem, we'll just state she won't provide it. I told her if she did and I got audited, I would turn both her and her tax person in for fraud. They chose not to do it.
Leigh 12:45 PM 05-16-2018
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I experienced this this year. Dcm paid, dcd claimed without using my tax id, not sure how.

Knowing dcd had already claimed, I didn't give a statement to dcm because I didn't want them both to claim.

I had a dcm ask for my info a few years ago, only dcd pays. I refused. Her tax person said, no problem, we'll just state she won't provide it. I told her if she did and I got audited, I would turn both her and her tax person in for fraud. They chose not to do it.

Whether they both claim isn't your problem. THEY are the ones who will be in trouble. Just make sure that the parent who paid signs a copy of your statement, and you're covered. Also, if the IRS sees that 5 of your parents claimed $8000 per year for childcare, and this child's parents EACH claimed $8000 per year, I doubt it would trigger an audit for you, but that they'd just approach the parents about the issue. I once got audited when waiting tables 20 years ago because I claimed MORE tips than anyone else (I worked more, and I didn't lie on my claim). It was a breeze to show that I wasn't defrauding them, and it was probably the easiest audit in IRS history!
Tags:divorced parents, divorced parents - receipts
Reply Up