Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>New Daycare with Mom/Filing Taxes Issues?
deartasia 09:15 PM 05-16-2018
I'm planning on opening a Daycare with my mother, July 2018. We are going into this business as partners, 50/50, so my concern is how would we claim certain things as total income, write offs when filing taxes next year? We are both married and file jointly with our husbands.

If anyone has any experience or knowledge regarding this matter, it would be greatly appreciated.
Cat Herder 04:49 AM 05-17-2018
Would this be a center or in-home? Who owns the building?
deartasia 07:09 AM 05-17-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Would this be a center or in-home? Who owns the building?
In home. She owns the home. I pay all utilities, major and minor repairs, upgrade large appliances, etc...

This forum has been a beacon of wisdom and is making me think about a few things before it's "too late".
TomCopeland 11:53 AM 05-17-2018
Originally Posted by deartasia:
I'm planning on opening a Daycare with my mother, July 2018. We are going into this business as partners, 50/50, so my concern is how would we claim certain things as total income, write offs when filing taxes next year? We are both married and file jointly with our husbands.

If anyone has any experience or knowledge regarding this matter, it would be greatly appreciated.
This is very tricky and would advise talking with a tax professional and a lawyer before moving forward. You either have to establish a formal partnership and file it with the state, or have the owner of the house hire the other person or set up a corporation. In the end, I believe the best option is to have the owner of the house hire the other person. Call me at 651-280-5991 for more feedback. I don't charge anything for answering questions. See also my article:http://tomcopelandblog.com/thing-informal-partnership
deartasia 08:09 PM 05-20-2018
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
This is very tricky and would advise talking with a tax professional and a lawyer before moving forward. You either have to establish a formal partnership and file it with the state, or have the owner of the house hire the other person or set up a corporation. In the end, I believe the best option is to have the owner of the house hire the other person. Call me at 651-280-5991 for more feedback. I don't charge anything for answering questions. See also my article:http://tomcopelandblog.com/thing-informal-partnership

Thank you very much!
I appreciate your advice
Tags:california, california - regulations, co-owner, daycare partners, mom, new daycare, taxes
Reply Up