Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Parent Nights Out...W10's
Jodik 10:26 AM 06-25-2018
I just started offering Parent's night out and was wondering how to track this income. If I add it to my kidkare account, it would be added to their W10's which would increase their total for the childcare/dependent care tax credit. Would this be the correct way to track it even though it was not used for work or should I just have a separate receipt book for these nights?
LysesKids 10:54 AM 06-25-2018
Originally Posted by Jodik:
I just started offering Parent's night out and was wondering how to track this income. If I add it to my kidkare account, it would be added to their W10's which would increase their total for the childcare/dependent care tax credit. Would this be the correct way to track it even though it was not used for work or should I just have a separate receipt book for these nights?
I have a separate receipt book for PNO or Drop-ins that come, but don't count for work/school on taxes (errands, Dr's appointments etc). I write on the receipts what the fees were for so parents can't add non credit fees to creditable ones when they take their paperwork to tax preparer.
hwichlaz 11:43 AM 06-25-2018
Kidkare has a category for “other income”. That’s where I put in that type of payment, and my alimony.
Jodik 01:55 PM 06-25-2018
Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it!
284878 02:01 PM 06-25-2018
I think that you should verify this with Tom Copeland but I believe that it should be added to their W10 as it is still child care no matter what time of the day it is and it is still income for you.
hwichlaz 03:30 PM 06-25-2018
Originally Posted by 284878:
I think that you should verify this with Tom Copeland but I believe that it should be added to their W10 as it is still child care no matter what time of the day it is and it is still income for you.
Yes best ask Tom. But I’d separate it on their w-10. Last I checked, it’s a deduction if you’re paying for care so you can work or go to school.
TomCopeland 11:15 AM 06-26-2018
Any money earned from parents is income. But, it doesn't count towards a parent's child care tax credit if they are not working or attending school. So, I'd call it other income and not include it on the parent's W-10.
Cat Herder 11:22 AM 06-26-2018
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
it doesn't count towards a parent's child care tax credit if they are not working or attending school.
Sorry to hijack.

Does this apply to teachers who are off for summer but still bring kids full time?

That seems harsh. Is there another clause for that?
hwichlaz 05:46 PM 06-26-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Sorry to hijack.

Does this apply to teachers who are off for summer but still bring kids full time?

Even when off for summer they are still working. Teachers are working a lot more than mon-fri 8-3 sept-June.

However, ever single full time family pays me roughly twice their deduction amount anyway so not including summers likely wouldn’t hurt or help them on taxes.
hwichlaz 05:50 PM 06-26-2018
Example. Our school year runs Sept 7th through mid June this next year. But teachers are contracted to be at school working for 3 weeks after school let’s out and 3 weeks before it goes back. They get approx one month off. And most of them are working on some of their professional dev hours during that time.
Cat Herder 05:39 AM 06-27-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Example. Our school year runs Sept 7th through mid June this next year. But teachers are contracted to be at school working for 3 weeks after school let’s out and 3 weeks before it goes back. They get approx one month off. And most of them are working on some of their professional dev hours during that time.
That is not how my teacher families contracts go.

Both have been off since 1 week following the last day of school (June 1) and will return one week prior to the first day (Aug 6). Both work until 5p during the school year.

I thought maybe there was a provision for them.
TomCopeland 06:59 AM 06-27-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Sorry to hijack.

Good question. The child care tax credit is only available when parents are working or in school. Sorry. See #2: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/ten-thi...nt-care-credit
LysesKids 07:07 AM 06-27-2018
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
Good question. The child care tax credit is only available when parents are working or in school. Sorry. See #2: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/ten-thi...nt-care-credit
Tom... what happens when you are in a year round school district? Most of the county (and surrounding ones) are on normal schedules, my particular district however is year round for the elem, middle & high school and the weeks off aren't normal extended closings, but 2 weeks here, and 2 weeks there if you get my meaning - teachers work odd days even if kids are out.
TomCopeland 11:26 AM 06-27-2018
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Tom... what happens when you are in a year round school district? Most of the county (and surrounding ones) are on normal schedules, my particular district however is year round for the elem, middle & high school and the weeks off aren't normal extended closings, but 2 weeks here, and 2 weeks there if you get my meaning - teachers work odd days even if kids are out.
Whether or not a parent is entitled to claim the child care tax credit is something for the parent to deal with, not the provider. It really doesn't matter whether or not you are putting all or some of their payments on their W-10 form. I wouldn't spend much time worrying about this. It's all income to you. It's up to the parent to determine what they can claim towards the credit. I wouldn't try to educate the parents too much about this, since it's their responsibility.
Tags:income - profit, income tax, reporting - income
Reply Up