Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Blinds Damaged by Childcare Kids
HappyHeartsChildCare 09:37 PM 08-20-2018
Over the years, my vertical blinds have been damaged by the childcare kids. Right now, there are 8 pieces broken, and I have been using a piece of fabric and a tension rod to cover it up during nap time to darken the room.
I would like to have the blinds replaced. Can I consider this 100% childcare expense since the childcare kids broke them, or do I have to use the time space percentage since it is part of the house?
TomCopeland 09:43 AM 08-21-2018
Originally Posted by HappyHeartsChildCare:
Over the years, my vertical blinds have been damaged by the childcare kids. Right now, there are 8 pieces broken, and I have been using a piece of fabric and a tension rod to cover it up during nap time to darken the room.
I would like to have the blinds replaced. Can I consider this 100% childcare expense since the childcare kids broke them, or do I have to use the time space percentage since it is part of the house?
I'd deduct your time-space% of the cost of the blinds because the damage was caused over a long period of time. If they were broken all at once, I'd deduct 100% of the cost. There is no written rule on this point, but that's my opinion.
Josiegirl 04:16 AM 08-22-2018
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
I'd deduct your time-space% of the cost of the blinds because the damage was caused over a long period of time. If they were broken all at once, I'd deduct 100% of the cost. There is no written rule on this point, but that's my opinion.
I'd like to respectfully bring my opinion into this.
That hardly seems fair due to the fact it was destruction by the dcks, that caused need for replacement. I have 2 fan lights that have gotten broken this year, by the dcks, and 1 light that simply stopped working. I will be claiming 100% on the 2 broken fan/lights but not the 3rd light. The fan/lights did not get broken at the same time but over the course of the summer. I've had windows broken by different dcks at different times and I claimed 100% on those also.
JMO
TomCopeland 09:42 AM 08-22-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I'd like to respectfully bring my opinion into this.
That hardly seems fair due to the fact it was destruction by the dcks, that caused need for replacement. I have 2 fan lights that have gotten broken this year, by the dcks, and 1 light that simply stopped working. I will be claiming 100% on the 2 broken fan/lights but not the 3rd light. The fan/lights did not get broken at the same time but over the course of the summer. I've had windows broken by different dcks at different times and I claimed 100% on those also.
JMO
You essentially agree with me. Damage directly caused by children (broken windows, fan lights) can be 100% deducted. Wear and tear over the years, I would argue is not 100% business, because you are getting personal use out it as well and some of the wear and tear is personal. Just my opinion.
Tags:broken items, deduction, expense categories, time space percentage, tom copeland, wear and tear
Reply Up