Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Education vs Professional Dev.
hwichlaz 01:32 PM 09-21-2018
I'm working on my AA in ECE because I'm going through QRIS and i want the 5 star rating.

I feel like the CDA is a waste of time if I can get the AA instead, because I won't have to renew my AA every couple of years.

How much of my education can I count as business?

I can break down the cost per college unit, so can I count the ECE units as professional development/training since it's required for my star rating?
TomCopeland 07:26 AM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I'm working on my AA in ECE because I'm going through QRIS and i want the 5 star rating.

I feel like the CDA is a waste of time if I can get the AA instead, because I won't have to renew my AA every couple of years.

How much of my education can I count as business?

I can break down the cost per college unit, so can I count the ECE units as professional development/training since it's required for my star rating?
If you already have a post secondary degree, you can deduct 100% of the cost of the AA degree in ECE. If you don't have a post secondary degree, you can't deduct any of the cost. See my article for details:http://tomcopelandblog.com/education-costs-deductible
hwichlaz 07:33 AM 09-22-2018
Ok, so it looks like the ECE classes would be deductible if they are NOT part of a degree program....so I should just take all of those first...then in a year or two go back for the general ed?

Why do we have a government again?

This is part of accreditation BTW. sigh. Part of getting the 5 stars is becoming eligible for accreditation.
TomCopeland 01:46 PM 09-23-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Ok, so it looks like the ECE classes would be deductible if they are NOT part of a degree program....so I should just take all of those first...then in a year or two go back for the general ed?

Why do we have a government again?

This is part of accreditation BTW. sigh. Part of getting the 5 stars is becoming eligible for accreditation.
Yes, if you are not trying to get a first post secondary degree, the classes would be deductible.
Tags:education, education vs professional dev, professional development
Reply Up