Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Should I Do?
awestbrook713 01:08 PM 11-15-2011
Ok so I started having alot of pain yesterday 2 hours before I was closed and it progressively got worse until I had my husband take me to the hospital. I found out I have a huge kidney stone. They kept me over night and I got a total of one hour of sleep.

I called the 3 parents that I would have had today and told them I wouldn't be open since a. I'm tired. and b. I am waiting to pass this stupid thing.

If I don't pass this today and I honestly don't think its going to because of its size do I watch the kids I am supposed to have tomorrow or what. I am not in pain right now but when this thing starts moving its sudden and I can't move with out being in pain.

What should I do? I don't want to lose any more income or inconveniance the parents anymore then I already have but I don't want to have 3 3 yr olds a 4 yr old and a 6 wk old here and not be able to take care of them suddenly. Thanks for any advice
CheekyChick 01:11 PM 11-15-2011
I would just let them know that you will be open, but if you start to pass the kidney stone, that they will need to pick up their children IMMEDIATELY.

I hope you feel better soon.
Country Kids 01:16 PM 11-15-2011
I am a kidney stone survivor of many, many times. Even been admitted to the hospital for 3 days.

Are you not in pain because of pain medication? I had to take time off because we are not allowed to be open if we are on pain meds.

You may not feel it when you pass it! You may have already passed it so thats why your not in pain. Unless you use some type of strainer or have xrays you won't know if you've passed it or not.

What did your doctor tell you to do? This is hard because like I said you won't know if you've passed it unless you caught it in a stranger or x-rays show its gone.

I would work if you can but please be careful!
dEHmom 01:17 PM 11-15-2011
I agree with cheeky chick.

I pass stones as well. If it's that big, they will have to break it up either by shock therapy or laser therapy.

Drink LOTS of fluids, about 8 oz every hour. Apple juice, and lemonaide work wonders on it. Same with gingerale (helps the nausea more than the stone itself).

I used 1 extra strength Advil gel capsule and it worked way better than the t3's which I ended up getting sick with.

Also, DRINK BEER! seriously, that's the doctors orders for me. I had half a beer and within half an hour I passed 15 pieces of 1 stone that was broken up. You shouldnt' need to close up shop, but let parents know that if you become really ill during the passing of it, they need to be available immediately. I was so sick with my first stone I passed out on the floor in pain. It was before I knew it was kidney stones, so I didn't take any pain meds.

The pain is from it travelling through the tube (ureter???) to the bladder. Once it hits your bladder you will feel irritated much like a bladder infection. But you won't feel it after that.
caligirl 01:21 PM 11-15-2011
Those are VERY painful. Worse than natural childbirth in my opinion. Is it still in your kidney? Did the doctor say that it would pass on it's own or will they have to do something about it? When I've had them, once the pain stops, they are in the ureter and for me at least, the pain was gone. I passed them later in the day.
KBCsMommy 01:24 PM 11-15-2011
Im so sorry to hear about your kidney stones. They are super painful.

I also get kidney stones too! And mine are huge!

The other ladies are right once the pain is gone it means the stone has traveled into your bladder. You shouldnt be able to feel it after that. But it may take a few days to a week to pass the stone you never can tell how long it will be.

I would only stay closed if you have because of pain. If you wait until you pass the kidney stone you may be out of work for awhile!!!

Hope you feel better soon!
Michael 01:24 PM 11-15-2011
My father went through just about every kidney procedure over the years from surgery, to basket extraction and ultrasound ureterolithotripsy and lastly dissolving it. Dissolving it was the best remedy for him. This is what he used:
https://herbdoc.com/index.php?option...14&omni=qa&c=1
awestbrook713 02:26 PM 11-15-2011
I was perscribed pain meds but haven't taken them because I haven't had to, although I'm starting to ache and have pain again as the night progresses. The director of the er I went to reviewed my chart for some reason and called me and made me an appointment with a urologist because she feels this will not pass on its own due to size. Its measuring 10 mm. I have an appointment tomorrow at 9:30 so I have called all my parents and gave them the option of having there kids come and stay with my substitute my husband until I get home with the understanding that if I need surgery they will have to come pick them up. I'm so nervous I really don't want surgery
awestbrook713 02:31 PM 11-15-2011
Thanks for the advise everyone, I like the drinking beer idea but I can't since I breastfeed so we will just wait see. I am using a strainer to see if I find any pieces but haven't found anything today.
Christian Mother 04:01 PM 11-15-2011
Ohhh my gosh darlin!! I FEEL your pain!!

Last yr I was admitted for sever pain and found that I was trying to pass multiple kidney stones in not just one bot both kidneys. I went in 3 diff. time that week...one for the pain bc I was so sick I was throwing up, they took x-rays and gave me 800 mg of ibrp. and vicidin and flowmax...think that's what it is called it allows things to flow smoothly so the stone can free go through the blatter. All of these things and I was back in the hospital the day after. They found that one of my kidneys was blocked bc the stone was to big so that is why I was still so sick. So right there they admitted me and set me up for the laser surgery. It was fast and let me tell you I felt so much better until I got home and started passing huge pieces of tissue. Back in the hospital again. 6 months later in the hospital again this time I ashually was watching kids and about 10am started having pains. After having them before I new what they where and just wanted to die. I called my husband and all the parents and one of the parents ashually took me to the hospital right then and there bc not all the parents where able to pick up right away. I ended up passing that stone in the hospital. I haven't had any since and it's been a yr now. Let me tell you....I do not drink any more coke/pepsi or dark pop products. I will only drink water and coffee and ok, I admit it baja blast when I can get my hands on it. But for the most part water water water all day long. I can't drink reg. pop bc it now makes me sick to my stomach...

Plan on being out for a while. Until that thing passes your going to be in a lot of pain and you will NOT be able to care for kids trust me. Get some help also for your kids bc I wanted to just die bc of the pain. Even med's did not help me but the nausea med's worked really well.
awestbrook713 04:37 PM 11-15-2011
Christian Mother that sounds awful. I think the stone has made it most of the way just needs to work the rest of the way out. I love soda and I don't drink water nearly enough, I always tell myself I am gonna change this but don't have strong enough will power. Water is just so boring to me.
Christian Mother 05:20 PM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by awestbrook713:
Christian Mother that sounds awful. I think the stone has made it most of the way just needs to work the rest of the way out. I love soda and I don't drink water nearly enough, I always tell myself I am gonna change this but don't have strong enough will power. Water is just so boring to me.
Oh honey, I was the same way...and totally started drinking soda again after a month after the surgery. You'd think I'd learned my lesson the first time. Guess not...oh forgot to mention the second time I had surgery it was for the other side...that was the shock one...and after I woke up from it I was in back pain for days..the whole exsp. was def. something that stays with me. So you can bet that I've learned my lesson. I am tiny so I tend to dehydrate really quickly. AZ is bad for dehydration. So now...I LOVE water...lol!! I am glad your stone has worked its way to the blatter. Someone told me if I drink water with lemon that it works...the lemon helps dissolve the stones and makes it really easy for them to flush from the system. So get water bottles and a lot of lemons and cut them up. Put them inside your water bottles and drink up. You'll have to cut them up pretty small though. Good luck I do feel for you!!
AfterSchoolMom 05:28 PM 11-15-2011
I am SO sorry. I've had multiple stones as well and I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy. The worst one I ever had, I was in the gym locker room and I was naked. They took me to the ER via ambulance and I had to have a couple of strange men help me get dressed. Give me childbirth anyday!

I strongly agree about the beer thing - it really does do the trick, and quickly. If it gets too bad, maybe you could "pump and dump"?

I've also been told that a diet that is really high in protein can cause stones, so watch it if you eat a lot of meat.

I hope you feel better very soon!
awestbrook713 04:26 AM 11-16-2011
I heard about water and lemon too. If the doctor just sends me home to pass this by myself I will be going to buy some lemons before I get home.

I agree I would take child birth over this. Its equal the pain without the awesome little prize at the end.
rbmom 05:19 AM 11-16-2011
So sorry!! They are super painful!!
My Daycare 05:34 AM 11-16-2011
Good luck! Since you are not in pain right now, I hear that being active (jogging, jumping) also helps to pass it along.
awestbrook713 12:40 PM 11-16-2011
Well I am being scheduled for surgery on friday luckily its outpatient surgery so I will have the weekend to deal with any pain I may have. The doctor says its just too big to pass.
Tags:closed from sckness, closing due to, health, illness, kidney stones
Reply Up