Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interview Today
Breezy 09:38 PM 05-10-2012
(Sorry Cheerful for stealing your thread title but it is late and I couldn't think of anything else, forgive me!)

They showed up! It was with a military family with a 15 month old little boy. He is very energetic and outgoing! He immediately started playing nicely and mom and dad checked to make sure it was ok that he just dug right in.

It went really well, they had a few questions regarding my departure policies as they are military and have such an unpredictable schedule. I told them I totally understand as my DH is military as well and I know sometimes it is out of their hands as to their start and end times. I said that with a phone call being late is no big deal to me so long as it is not excessive. Usually, for civilian familes, I would probably attach an additional fee to this but I tend to be more flexible with military.

Mom said she is 17 weeks pregnant and expecting a boy in October as well so they would be looking for care then as well.

The only downsides I saw were:

- The boy is on the waiting list for the daycare on base. Dad is deadset against center type care and does not want him going there. Mom likes the cirriculum they offer and how all the kids seem to know their ABCs and 123s. Dad said that he is only interested in his son playing and being interacted with at this age. Those other things will come with time. The fact that he is on the waiting list means they may only need temp care but with dad deadset against it who knows. I appreciate their honesty though in letting me know.

-And not really a downside persay, but something that kind of struck me as odd is the fact that when I asked about how they discipline at home and in public (Thanks, BlackCat for helping me with those questions! I worked the majority of them into the conversation and learned a lot about them) the dad said time outs don't really work (well, yeah he is 15 months) so they do spank and I am welcome to do the same I said "I believe in redirection at this age so I won't be spanking him"

-They said he is very stubborn and can throw temper tantrums like noones business. Doesn't bother me, seems very normal for the age group (I have a 15 month old DS who does the same)

-They said he sometimes doesn't nap. Well, dad said that and mom said "If you lay him down he will nap- he may cry for a bit but he will sleep" Sounded to me like maybe dad can't get him down but mom can, hehe. That's how it works here too.

All in all no real red flags that I see! My son is the same age and they played together very well and "chatted" the whole time while rolling the ball back and forth.

I am pretty sure I decided to accept them if they do ask for the spot!!!
Creek 10:02 PM 05-10-2012
That's great! I did go "eek" when I read about the fact that they spank him and welcome you to do the same - yeah... no thanks! lol

Hopefully you hear back asap.
Christian Mother 10:21 PM 05-10-2012
Wow!! This is great news!! And a baby in Oct too!! I love babies!! When will they let you know?
Nellie 11:01 PM 05-10-2012
I'm glad it went well. My husband sounds like this man. He hates pre kindergarden that every one goes to at 4 years old. Kids should be kids and they will have enough school for the rest of there life. I'm surprised they are conserned about it at 15 months.
Blackcat31 09:11 AM 05-11-2012
Sounds awesome!!!

I hope they get back to you soon and you cna take this little guy on!! Sending good thought and happy wishes!!!

Glad I could help too with the questions....it is a nice way to get to really know a family and their parenting styles without them just giving you the answers they "think" you want to hear!
cheerfuldom 09:53 AM 05-11-2012
I dont see any red flags. Once they got him started, it will be harder for them to want to pull him out and readjust plus they would have to go to two places (because of the baby) or get the baby on the waiting list. The chance are VERY high that they will stay with you, all things considered. None of their comments would phase me at all. They sound like typical first time parents that dont know what to do when their toddler starts the "pre 2" stuff like tantrums. At least they didnt have a list dealing YOU what you can or cannot do for discipline. Definitely re-iterate in your contract that you do not do any sort of spanking or physically punishment ever!
Reply Up