Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How do you handle louder kids
mamamanda 10:21 AM 09-03-2015
I have a 3 yo dcg who is just louder than the others no matter what I do. I have to raise my voice to be heard over her often. She leaps or dances everywhere instead of walking, sings, talks loud (& is very dutchy so you can't always understand which makes it worse), very excitable, etc. Sometimes she just randomly screams this high pitched shrill scream for no reason. Then she laughs when everyone jumps or acts frightened. Timeout doesn't help. I don't really know what to do to calm her the heck down. My anxiety levels sky rocket when she's here b/c of the noise level and her flitting, twirling, spinning around the room. And she suddenly shortened her nap by an hour last week. Can not get her back to sleep for anything. Ugh.
Indoorvoice 10:46 AM 09-03-2015
I don't have great advice. My own dd who is 2 is a screamer and just generally talks too loud (hence my username, lol). She's very hyper and seeking movement at all times. In circle we play games practicing loud and quiet, hoping when I say "quiet voice" to her later in the day that she actually remembers what that means. I also offer tons of movement activities and keep her busy "helping". I bought colored dancing scarves off amazon and that helps get her need for twirling out. I don't know if I've seen much difference yet. Let me know if you come up with something good! She's by far my toughest kid. Sigh.
daycare 10:53 AM 09-03-2015
whsiper....whisper everything you say it will force them to listen and they will realize how loud they are. sometimes i put my hands over my ears and the other dcks follow suit.

this has always worked for me
Blackcat31 11:00 AM 09-03-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
I have a 3 yo dcg who is just louder than the others no matter what I do. I have to raise my voice to be heard over her often. She leaps or dances everywhere instead of walking, sings, talks loud (& is very dutchy so you can't always understand which makes it worse), very excitable, etc. Sometimes she just randomly screams this high pitched shrill scream for no reason. Then she laughs when everyone jumps or acts frightened. Timeout doesn't help. I don't really know what to do to calm her the heck down. My anxiety levels sky rocket when she's here b/c of the noise level and her flitting, twirling, spinning around the room. And she suddenly shortened her nap by an hour last week. Can not get her back to sleep for anything. Ugh.
If I have issues with this I go old school and make them go back and walk.

If it is more than just walking, I require them to stay seated while playing unless invited to move to another area.

Those kinds of actions in and of themselves and not a huge deal but when done in the middle of a mixed age group, it can cause injuries to others so I can't allow it to continue.

"On your seat not your feet"
Unregistered 05:51 PM 09-11-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
UGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I have one today, exact same thing happened today to me...Nothing would work. Nothing. One of the other kiddos who is older said, he wished she would go home, the other 2 year old said "she hurts my ears". It was all during quiet time and I had to seperate her from us so that she would not wake the ones that was sleeping. All because she decided not to rest and or be quiet. Then someone just randomly showed up at the door, the phone rang I don't know how many times. Every time I had to call someone or even when the person showed up "Screaming". I said, excuse me to whomever I was talking to and re-directed, re-mediated things.. All because she refused to nap. The whole group and I had, had enough. One day, last year I had an even worse day with the screaming and actually called the parent to pick up. I hope she does not think its ok when she comes back from the weekend. I am going to have an in person discussion with parents as soon as she walks into the door. Every other parent met her at the door with a dirty look when she screamed at every drop off. It's that loud. Not to mention the provider had a headache.

I am trying to teach her to stop trying to resolve everything that way. I read a study that children who scream in childcare settings are the ones who get picked on the most (hit/etc). I have seen it, the child screams in another child's face, the other child hits or pushes. I am telling her over and over, that you talk to your friends. I give her the words to say to. She does better with naps, if she misses one, I might as well forget about her listening to me at all. She will keep screaming, and kids will keep reacting (because it hurts). Not saying its ok for the others to do that. I do talk to them about walking away.
Reply Up