Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Free Childcare
Baby Beluga 01:38 PM 11-01-2016
I came across a situation in my small community where a father is in need of childcare for his son so he can go to work. Without going into details, something happened and they are left with no money, no car, no food and no daycare so dad can go to work. I have one spot in my program that is open and had considered offering a few days to this father until his next paycheck. At that time we can part our ways.

My question is, has anyone provided charity childcare on a temp basis? If so, how did you lay the ground work that although you are doing this for free the parent(s) still need to follow the same rules. Has anyone done this successfully or am I setting myself up for drama?
Blackcat31 01:40 PM 11-01-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I came across a situation in my small community where a father is in need of childcare for his son so he can go to work. Without going into details, something happened and they are left with no money, no car, no food and no daycare so dad can go to work. I have one spot in my program that is open and had considered offering a few days to this father until his next paycheck. At that time we can part our ways.

My question is, has anyone provided charity childcare on a temp basis? If so, how did you lay the ground work that although you are doing this for free the parent(s) still need to follow the same rules. Has anyone done this successfully or am I setting myself up for drama?
He should be eligible for emergency assistance through your local DHS.

They can grant him immediate access to food, housing and child care assistance.

I'd direct him there first.
Baby Beluga 01:54 PM 11-01-2016
Thank you BC. We referred him to a local church that runs a food bank with volunteers who can help navigate the assistance system. I don't know much about it, but when I google "emergency DHS assistance (state)" I am taken to the cash assistance page. It says it can take 30-45 days for an approval after an interview is complete.

I do know he can get an emergency food box same day though.
Cat Herder 02:14 PM 11-01-2016
I have provided charity childcare. Several times. One family for two years. The problem with what you are describing is the "temp" part. IME, once the temp part runs out the problems begin.

My advice would be to provide temp childcare ONLY. Free is beside the point. Don't attempt later to charge him, the relationship will have already been undermined by the free.

Trust me on this.

You have to view this as something you do for yourself. Not for him.
Baby Beluga 02:37 PM 11-01-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I have provided charity childcare. Several times. One family for two years. The problem with what you are describing is the "temp" part. IME, once the temp part runs out the problems begin.

My advice would be to provide temp childcare ONLY. Free is beside the point. Don't attempt later to charge him, the relationship will have already been undermined by the free.

Trust me on this.

You have to view this as something you do for yourself. Not for him.
Thank you for your input I agree with the free part - and it would be just that, free. I had no intention of going back and charging him or trying to enroll him after the free period was over. I was viewing it more as I have a free spot and have been very blessed myself so if I am in a position to help another person I should. Besides, the thought of a child going hungry just tears me apart. I don't know this father personally nor very many details of his situation - but whatever the circumstances may be they aren't the child's fault. At least I would know the child would be eating well while here, you know?
Cat Herder 02:44 PM 11-01-2016
Thank you for your input I agree with the free part - and it would be just that, free. I had no intention of going back and charging him or trying to enroll him after the free period was over. I was viewing it more as I have a free spot and have been very blessed myself so if I am in a position to help another person I should. Besides, the thought of a child going hungry just tears me apart. I don't know this father personally nor very many details of his situation - but whatever the circumstances may be they aren't the child's fault. At least I would know the child would be eating well while here, you know?
I do know. That is exactly why I did it, too. Go for it. A few of the families I have helped over the years still come to visit, one brought his grandchild by too. It was worth it.
Sunchimes 04:59 PM 11-01-2016
As I say a dozen times a day, "Use your words". Tell him exactly what you are offering, in detail, including how long. Put it in writing. I would probably do the entire paperwork chain, editing the handbook, etc, to fit the situation. He needs to know exactly the same things the other families know, emergency permissions, illness policy, etc. I would alter the part about late pickup to fit the consequences you choose. Since no money is involved, maybe one pick up and the care ends immediately?
Unregistered 05:11 PM 11-01-2016
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
As I say a dozen times a day, "Use your words". Tell him exactly what you are offering, in detail, including how long. Put it in writing. I would probably do the entire paperwork chain, editing the handbook, etc, to fit the situation. He needs to know exactly the same things the other families know, emergency permissions, illness policy, etc. I would alter the part about late pickup to fit the consequences you choose. Since no money is involved, maybe one pick up and the care ends immediately?
This exactly. I have done this several times for varying lengths of time. It worked best for me when there was a definite end date because we did a contract for $0 until XXxxXXXX date, filled out all the usual paperwork and expected all of the rules to be followed, which is stated in my contract. Otherwise, he has ended the arrangement.
Mike 06:11 PM 11-01-2016
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:

I understand where you're coming from. I'd do the same thing myself, but make sure it's set in stone.
daycare 06:23 PM 11-01-2016
I have paid it forward many of times. and would do it again.

many years ago I had a similar case and within 3 days CPS was knocking on my door and was taken into CPS services. The child was not having basic needs met at home and I guess a neighbor turned them in. I felt horrible for the family, they couldn't seem to catch a break.

Bless your heart. I would do it in a heartbeat. I would do everything the same as I do for other families, except I would have an end date and let them know you can only help until this day and then services are done.

best of luck. keep us posted on how it turns out.
Baby Beluga 07:14 AM 11-02-2016
Thank you for your suggestions everyone. We spoke again last night, little one is in school (all day K) and needs before and after school care. However, Dad doesn't have transportation. I do not transport children and my house is not zoned for the bus that goes to/from his school so at this time it looks like I am unable to help. Dad said he is working on transportation so if he is able to square that away then I am happy to help.
284878 07:57 AM 11-02-2016
Thank you for your suggestions everyone. We spoke again last night, little one is in school (all day K) and needs before and after school care. However, Dad doesn't have transportation. I do not transport children and my house is not zoned for the bus that goes to/from his school so at this time it looks like I am unable to help. Dad said he is working on transportation so if he is able to square that away then I am happy to help.
Are they homeless? So they qualify for the no child left behind program? If they do then the school is require to transport by bus or pay "you" to transport. (you being a designated person, my sister was paid to transport my foster kids)
Baby Beluga 09:16 AM 11-02-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
Are they homeless? So they qualify for the no child left behind program? If they do then the school is require to transport by bus or pay "you" to transport. (you being a designated person, my sister was paid to transport my foster kids)
They are not homeless, yet. They live in a nearby apartment complex.
Reply Up