Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Feeling Petty!
daycarenewbie 10:36 AM 01-31-2018
In november of last year, I had parents choose to tell me Friday after pickup in a text that they woudn't be coming back next week or ever because she had lost her job. She knew she was losing her job for weeks as I saw her posting regularly looking for a new babysitter in another town for her new job.

Anyways of course today I get the text asking for my EIN and their total. To which I replied

"I actually figured that by not paying the two weeks notice was your intent by saying you didn't want the tax info this year, as that was something I had parents initial in the contract. Did you want to pay the two weeks notice and then I can give you the EIN number and your total?"

10mins later I get a call from husband asking what the hell was going on and him basically super upset, understandable. He also tried to threaten me with his bank statements showing he took out the childcare money each week and texts dated ( I also still have the texts when she gave notice on november 24th late a night giving no 2 weeks notice).
Anyways we ended the conversation by my saying if he wants to use my EIN from last year I can't stop him but that I wouldn't be supplying that information until the $600 balance was paid.

Do I need to claim these taxes? Honestly I'm being petty now and almost want to be like whatever, you paid in cash, never got a receipt, and I consistently let you use and abuse me and my time. This was my last year babysitting because of all the crazy parents I encountered and the stress it did on my family
daycarediva 10:41 AM 01-31-2018
I understand your frustration.

You never took them to court? I would.

You don't have to give them a total but if they give you a w-10 you MUST fill it out.

In addition, they have your info and are claiming it anyway.
daycarenewbie 10:45 AM 01-31-2018
No I honestly chalked up this whole year as a lesson learned type deal and was still cordial with the mom because her son and my daughter had grown close as friends.

It stinks it has to be this way.
amberrose3dg 10:54 AM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by daycarenewbie:
No I honestly chalked up this whole year as a lesson learned type deal and was still cordial with the mom because her son and my daughter had grown close as friends.

It stinks it has to be this way.
People can really be jerks especially when it comes to that type of stuff. I had a mom text me Sunday night she wasn't bringing her son back since she found cheap(free daycare, a friend to watch him) with no notice what so ever. I require a 2 weeks notice. Today she texts me asking for her amount paid. I had tax statements all prepared for everyone and was going to hand her's Monday but she pulled Sunday night. I feel like being petty in taking a couple of days getting back to her and simply giving her the EIN without the total since I just found out I don't have to give a total. Let her calculate what she paid lol.
BumbleBee 11:19 AM 01-31-2018

Do I need to claim these taxes? Honestly I'm being petty now and almost want to be like whatever, you paid in cash, never got a receipt, and I consistently let you use and abuse me and my time. This was my last year babysitting because of all the crazy parents I encountered and the stress it did on my family
Yes you need to claim all income. Regardless of cash, receipts, etc you still have to claim it.

Your choice to consistently allow them to use, abuse and not pay you has nothing to do with whether or not you have to claim income.
TomCopeland 11:37 AM 01-31-2018
This discussion is a good example of why it's a good idea to require parents to pay you for the two week notice in advance. You can ask them to pay a little extra each week until you get paid for the two weeks.
I would recommend not giving parents a receipt or your id# if they leave owing you money.
Michael 02:42 PM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
I would recommend not giving parents a receipt or your id# if they leave owing you money.
Good advice!
Country Kids 03:19 PM 01-31-2018
By law though I would think we would have to give them something for the monies they did pay.
lovemykidstoo 05:33 PM 01-31-2018
I would highly recommend claiming everything they paid you. you don't want to get caught falsifying income. Not worth it. Definitely start collecting the 2 weeks notice money up front. I would just give them the slip and be done with it. Too much headache the other way honestly.

My question is for all of these parents. My son was in daycare for almost 3 years. I knew exactly how much money was paid. Why does noone keep record of their own expenses? Why do they always rely on us?
CityGarden 06:23 PM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
This discussion is a good example of why it's a good idea to require parents to pay you for the two week notice in advance. You can ask them to pay a little extra each week until you get paid for the two weeks.
I was surprised by this statement as I thought it would be required legally. That said honoring their contract is also required legally.
hwichlaz 09:02 PM 01-31-2018
No you only have to fill in a w-10 if they supply you with one. I strongly feel, thigh, that being petty is unprofessional. If feels good to think about sometimes, but I wouldn’t follow through on it.
Cat Herder 03:43 AM 02-01-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
No you only have to fill in a w-10 if they supply you with one. I strongly feel, thigh, that being petty is unprofessional. If feels good to think about sometimes, but I wouldn’t follow through on it.
I agree with you. Even when I don't like the parents I do my job to the best of my ability. Reporting all my income to the IRS is not up for debate. Enforcing my own policies is literally my job.

OP, I am sorry they treated you that way. It can be an expensive lesson and most of us have been through it at one time or another.
mommyneedsadayoff 05:35 AM 02-01-2018
In november of last year, I had parents choose to tell me Friday after pickup in a text that they woudn't be coming back next week or ever because she had lost her job. She knew she was losing her job for weeks as I saw her posting regularly looking for a new babysitter in another town for her new job.

Anyways of course today I get the text asking for my EIN and their total. To which I replied

"I actually figured that by not paying the two weeks notice was your intent by saying you didn't want the tax info this year, as that was something I had parents initial in the contract. Did you want to pay the two weeks notice and then I can give you the EIN number and your total?"

10mins later I get a call from husband asking what the hell was going on and him basically super upset, understandable. He also tried to threaten me with his bank statements showing he took out the childcare money each week and texts dated ( I also still have the texts when she gave notice on november 24th late a night giving no 2 weeks notice).
Anyways we ended the conversation by my saying if he wants to use my EIN from last year I can't stop him but that I wouldn't be supplying that information until the $600 balance was paid.

Parents never cease to amaze me. so they have your EIN from the previous year and they have bank statements showing their amounts paid, yet they want YOU to supply them with the info they already have? I mean, if I had ditched out on my obligation, I would do anything in my power not to ever see you again because I would be so embarrassed. That would include not claiming the childcare credit if I needed your info. Yet here they have everything they need, and they still want you to do something for them even after they ditched out on you. I tell ya! I would feel petty too and since they have the info already, I would just cut off communication and let them put on their big boy panties and figure it out.
mommyneedsadayoff 05:44 AM 02-01-2018
I just want to add, that is far as claiming your income, you should definitely do that. You don't want to get in trouble with the IRS over these people. But as for their info, let them figure it out. And I'm sorry they treated you that way!
Josiegirl 03:08 AM 02-03-2018
Learn something new every day. I always assumed we had to give them that information. But we don't, unless they give us the W-10. Huh.
Tags:money owed, tom copeland, two weeks deposit
Reply Up