Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Tax Write Off Questions
CityGarden 09:50 PM 02-18-2018
In one of Tom's post he writes:
"You could, however, deduct the cost of a dog leash or fence to keep your pet away from the children."

Could I take that a step further and write off the expense of a dog walker or dog daycare to keep my dog away from the dcks?

What about a house cleaner? I want to start having someone come clean either weekly or bi-weekly. How do you break this down for expenses? Also many house cleaners in my area are paid in cash, I assume I would need receipts but do I also need their social security # or proof they are legal to work, etc.?
Michael 11:05 AM 02-19-2018
As far as house cleaning, Tom previously wrote “A cleaning service would be 100% deductible only if they cleaned areas only used for your business. Otherwise, apply your time-space %.
hwichlaz 12:38 PM 02-19-2018
I have laundry service, and since nearly half of the wash she does for me is daycare related, I use my T/S which is 42%.

It saves me nearly as much time as a housecleaner would, but at a much lower cost.
TomCopeland 08:36 PM 02-19-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
In one of Tom's post he writes:
"You could, however, deduct the cost of a dog leash or fence to keep your pet away from the children."

Could I take that a step further and write off the expense of a dog walker or dog daycare to keep my dog away from the dcks?

What about a house cleaner? I want to start having someone come clean either weekly or bi-weekly. How do you break this down for expenses? Also many house cleaners in my area are paid in cash, I assume I would need receipts but do I also need their social security # or proof they are legal to work, etc.?
I wouldn't try to deduct a dog walker or dog daycare. I think the IRS would not consider this an ordinary and necessary business expense. You can deduct the time-space% of a house cleaner. Get the person to sign a receipt when you pay in cash. You don't need their SS number and you don't need to ask for proof that they are eligible to work.
CityGarden 10:12 PM 02-19-2018
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
I wouldn't try to deduct a dog walker or dog daycare. I think the IRS would not consider this an ordinary and necessary business expense. You can deduct the time-space% of a house cleaner. Get the person to sign a receipt when you pay in cash. You don't need their SS number and you don't need to ask for proof that they are eligible to work.
This is such a bummer, if I were not doing this job the dog would be fine at home and could use a potty pad since I am doing this job licensing does not allow potty pads down.

It is an expense I am taking on just because of this business but I figured it would be a long shot.

Thanks for letting me know about both though.
CityGarden 10:15 PM 02-19-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I have laundry service, and since nearly half of the wash she does for me is daycare related, I use my T/S which is 42%.

It saves me nearly as much time as a housecleaner would, but at a much lower cost.
I hate laundry.... it is the house related task I like the least but I am curious what laundry do you do related to the dc?

Other than one load for nap bedding and hand towels I cannot think of anything else....
Blackcat31 07:20 AM 02-20-2018
This is such a bummer, if I were not doing this job the dog would be fine at home and could use a potty pad since I am doing this job licensing does not allow potty pads down.

It is an expense I am taking on just because of this business but I figured it would be a long shot.

Thanks for letting me know about both though.
I agree with your thinking but...

I bet the IRS could come back and say "Well, why not go a step further then and not have a dog at all BECAUSE of the impact it would have on business".
Country Kids 07:44 AM 02-20-2018
I hate laundry.... it is the house related task I like the least but I am curious what laundry do you do related to the dc?

Other than one load for nap bedding and hand towels I cannot think of anything else....
I do bedding and clothes. Every day after we come inside, I have the kiddo's change into fresh clothes and wash the ones up they changed out of.
Tags:deduction - cleaning, deduction - fence, deduction - pets, tax write offs
Reply Up