Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Catering Fee
LovetheSun 01:12 PM 02-26-2018
Hello!

I have couple questions I hope anyone has the answers to.

1) We have two parties a year (summer party and christmas). usually I prepare everything myself but is so much work and quite expensive. I am considering getting the food catered this year.
Can I deduct that and if so how much do I get back (let's say it will cost $500).

2) I take care of the backyard myself too but my back is giving me lots of issues and I should get a gardener to help instead of ruining my back! Could I deduct that as well? The backyard is ONLY used for the kids.

I got a quote of $900 for backyard improvements but if I do that myself I will save about $400. So I am wondering if is worth spending more money on getting help if I can deduct it later.

Thank you!
TomCopeland 09:11 PM 02-26-2018
Originally Posted by LovetheSun:
Hello!

I have couple questions I hope anyone has the answers to.

1) We have two parties a year (summer party and christmas). usually I prepare everything myself but is so much work and quite expensive. I am considering getting the food catered this year.
Can I deduct that and if so how much do I get back (let's say it will cost $500).

2) I take care of the backyard myself too but my back is giving me lots of issues and I should get a gardener to help instead of ruining my back! Could I deduct that as well? The backyard is ONLY used for the kids.

I got a quote of $900 for backyard improvements but if I do that myself I will save about $400. So I am wondering if is worth spending more money on getting help if I can deduct it later.

Thank you!
You can deduct 100% of the cost of the parties. Depending on your family's adjusted gross income you can expect to reduce your taxes by about $150-$200 after spending $500.
You can deduct 100% of the cost of the gardener, assuming you never use the back yard area personally.
It's always better financially to spend less money and do more work yourself. Spending the extra $500 will save you about $150-$200 in taxes.
Tags:catering, deduction - catering
Reply Up