Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Care Provider Statements?
Unregistered 05:05 PM 03-07-2018
I have a dcd that gave me a provider statement for taxes asking for total amounts paid, hours kid was in care, payment dates etc., and I've filled them out for a different family before so it is not a big deal.

But in this case, all payments were made by the Dcm from her checking account. Dcd's name is not on the checks. Do I still fill this out for him, or do I decline since he wasn't the person making the actual payments? I'm so confused! Also, dcd and dcm are not married or even living together, if that matters.

Thanks for the help!
Jo123ABC 05:12 PM 03-07-2018
I wouldn't! That would make me uncomfortable also.
Country Kids 05:51 PM 03-07-2018
Find out if it is his year to claim the child on his taxes. If it is, you are able to fill it out.

I just came across my first family like this, this year and I was so confused! My family has a judgement from the courts that one year mom claims, next year dad claims. Even though mom pays me all year long as my contract is with her, dad was able to receive all payment info this year.

He pays her his 1/2 of the childcare and she gives me the full amount but I receive no money from him but had to give info to him.
Blackcat31 06:11 AM 03-08-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a dcd that gave me a provider statement for taxes asking for total amounts paid, hours kid was in care, payment dates etc., and I've filled them out for a different family before so it is not a big deal.

But in this case, all payments were made by the Dcm from her checking account. Dcd's name is not on the checks. Do I still fill this out for him, or do I decline since he wasn't the person making the actual payments? I'm so confused! Also, dcd and dcm are not married or even living together, if that matters.

Thanks for the help!
Always provide the information to the person that paid.

Whether or not a family has a judgement or agreement via the courts to claim different years or split expenses has nothing to do with me and is never something I ask parents to divulge.

How they claim their expenses is their business not mine.
My only obligation is to provide the requested information in regards to WHO actually paid.

My contract for services and my contract for payment are separate things so whoever pays might not be the person that drops off/picks up daily.

If I accept checks from one parent then that one parent is the person who gets the receipt.

If I were you, I'd fill out the information but make sure you indicate who the checks came from or who the payer was.

The parents can sort out the rest as it has nothing to do with me.
Country Kids 07:45 AM 03-08-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Whether or not a family has a judgement or agreement via the courts to claim different years or split expenses has nothing to do with me and is never something I ask parents to divulge.

My only obligation is to provide the requested information in regards to WHO actually paid.

My contract for services and my contract for payment are separate things so whoever pays might not be the person that drops off/picks up daily.

If I accept checks from one parent then that one parent is the person who gets the receipt.

If I were you, I'd fill out the information but make sure you indicate who the checks came from or who the payer was.

According to Tom, from my understanding, you give it to the parent who's year it is to claim the child even if you never received money from them. I have the same situation this year and asked him about it.
Country Kids 07:59 AM 03-08-2018
Disregard last post!!!

It's the opposite like BC said-

I personally just gave it to the parent paying this year to make it easier as they did ask for it and it has all the paying parents info on it.

There is no way the parent paying this year can say they personally paid me.

It is a very, very common thing though as my hubby who worked in the courts was telling me. He saw it all the time come through on paper work. I just had never had it happen in my 20 years. Shows you can learn something new each year with taxes
Blackcat31 08:02 AM 03-08-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
According to Tom, from my understanding, you give it to the parent who's year it is to claim the child even if you never received money from them. I have the same situation this year and asked him about it.
I'm sure that's fine too.

I just don't get that involved in my family's financial information.

I have several families that aren't together and have never asked or wanted information as to what their status is for taxes. I don't feel that kind of info is any of my business.

I simply provide a receipt to the parent that pays me the money. I also provide the W-10 to that same parent.

What the parents do after that is up to them.
TomCopeland 10:48 AM 03-08-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I completely agree with BlackCat!
Tags:payment record
Reply Up