Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Tom Copeland I Swear This Is The Last Question
lovemykidstoo 05:12 PM 04-07-2018
First of all I can't thank you enough for taking the time to answer so many questions. I have been working all day to get things ready to go back to our tax consultant. I am really not confident she is fully aware of daycare taxes, as neither am I obviously. lol. After I get done getting this together, then I'm going to sit down tomorrow, buy your ebook and start on January 1, 2018 tax recording so I don't get so behind like this again. There is so much I know I"m going to learn from your book and I'm excited to do so. If you could just help me understand a couple of more things I would very much appreciate it.

I'm attaching a copy of my food program tax statement for 2012. I am confused on my food program statement. What does it mean at the bottom where it says "total deductible food expense $3927.00"

I noticed my last tax preparer had a listing of my expenses including mileage, cable tv, cell phone, gifts, insurance, interest, taxes, utilities and then he wrote "Food Supplies per diem rates), $4,446.00. He added that to my expenses. I'm not sure why it's that, when the total deductible food expense said $3,927.00.

Also I'm working on my t/s % for last year. I have all of my hours when kids were here, but I have nothing for general booking hours, cleaning, in-home training etc. How can I document that for last year?

Thank you so much!
TomCopeland 09:59 AM 04-09-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
First of all I can't thank you enough for taking the time to answer so many questions. I have been working all day to get things ready to go back to our tax consultant. I am really not confident she is fully aware of daycare taxes, as neither am I obviously. lol. After I get done getting this together, then I'm going to sit down tomorrow, buy your ebook and start on January 1, 2018 tax recording so I don't get so behind like this again. There is so much I know I"m going to learn from your book and I'm excited to do so. If you could just help me understand a couple of more things I would very much appreciate it.

I'm attaching a copy of my food program tax statement for 2012. I am confused on my food program statement. What does it mean at the bottom where it says "total deductible food expense $3927.00"

I noticed my last tax preparer had a listing of my expenses including mileage, cable tv, cell phone, gifts, insurance, interest, taxes, utilities and then he wrote "Food Supplies per diem rates), $4,446.00. He added that to my expenses. I'm not sure why it's that, when the total deductible food expense said $3,927.00.

Also I'm working on my t/s % for last year. I have all of my hours when kids were here, but I have nothing for general booking hours, cleaning, in-home training etc. How can I document that for last year?

Thank you so much!
Assuming your Food Program didn't count any meals and snacks served to your own children and assuming that you entered all the meals and snacks you served the children, including those that were not reimbursed by the food program, then you would report as income $3,927. I assume the $4,446 is based on you serving extra meals and snacks that were not reimbursed by the food program. If so, then this is all correct. The vast majority of providers claim more in food expenses than they received from the food program.
If you haven't tracked your extra hours for last year, you could do a reconstruction now. Write down what you did in a typical week or month for these hours and claim them. For 2018, carefully track these hours for at least two months and use the average for these two months for the rest of the year.
lovemykidstoo 10:42 AM 04-09-2018
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
Assuming your Food Program didn't count any meals and snacks served to your own children and assuming that you entered all the meals and snacks you served the children, including those that were not reimbursed by the food program, then you would report as income $3,927. I assume the $4,446 is based on you serving extra meals and snacks that were not reimbursed by the food program. If so, then this is all correct. The vast majority of providers claim more in food expenses than they received from the food program.
If you haven't tracked your extra hours for last year, you could do a reconstruction now. Write down what you did in a typical week or month for these hours and claim them. For 2018, carefully track these hours for at least two months and use the average for these two months for the rest of the year.
Nope, I didn't count my own kids.

I did not enter on my food program sheets meals (PM snack) that I served but didn't claim. That's what I was thinking was that he was giving me the pm snacks that I couldn't claim on the food program as I already claimed 2 meals and a snack. The rate for snack then was $.69. So 924 meals X $.69 would be $637.56. So adding $637 to the $3,927 is $4564 ($118) over what it should be?
TomCopeland 09:29 AM 04-10-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Nope, I didn't count my own kids.

I did not enter on my food program sheets meals (PM snack) that I served but didn't claim. That's what I was thinking was that he was giving me the pm snacks that I couldn't claim on the food program as I already claimed 2 meals and a snack. The rate for snack then was $.69. So 924 meals X $.69 would be $637.56. So adding $637 to the $3,927 is $4564 ($118) over what it should be?
Nope. Unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, you can deduct $.73 per snack.
Tags:time space percentage
Reply Up