Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>What Write-Offs Can We Do For College
Country Kids 01:21 PM 04-17-2018
Spin off from City Gardens question.

I am taking ECE classes in the evenings and wondering what I can write off for those?

I did earn a scholarship for the class I am taking but there is $88 dollars in fee's for the college. Are those something I am able to write off?

Also, would homework time be counted as something I could write off?

Are you able to count mileage off and what about school supplies-paper, notebooks, etc.

My tax person made it sound like since it is college courses and not necessarily ones put on by the childcare assosciation I wasn't able to count anything off so I was wanting to double check.
TomCopeland 01:43 PM 04-17-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Spin off from City Gardens question.

I am taking ECE classes in the evenings and wondering what I can write off for those?

I did earn a scholarship for the class I am taking but there is $88 dollars in fee's for the college. Are those something I am able to write off?

Also, would homework time be counted as something I could write off?

Are you able to count mileage off and what about school supplies-paper, notebooks, etc.

My tax person made it sound like since it is college courses and not necessarily ones put on by the childcare assosciation I wasn't able to count anything off so I was wanting to double check.
This is a tricky question. If you already have a post secondary degree, then you can deduct the cost of the classes and the time you spend in your home on homework when children are not present.
If you don't have a post secondary degree then you can deduct the classes or count the time.
See my article:http://tomcopelandblog.com/education-costs-deductible
CityGarden 01:46 PM 04-17-2018
Great for you going to school & taking classes.
Country Kids 03:24 PM 04-17-2018
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
This is a tricky question. If you already have a post secondary degree, then you can deduct the cost of the classes and the time you spend in your home on homework when children are not present.
If you don't have a post secondary degree then you can deduct the classes or count the time.
See my article:http://tomcopelandblog.com/education-costs-deductible
I have no degree of any kind (except high school). Not sure if I will receive my degree as I will more than likely take only one class a year so at that rate, it would be ten years before receiving a degree. Right now I do plan on doing classes, taking them as I am time wise and see what the future holds.
Country Kids 03:25 PM 04-17-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Great for you going to school & taking classes.
Thank you!
Country Kids 03:30 PM 04-17-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I have no degree of any kind (except high school). Not sure if I will receive my degree as I will more than likely take only one class a year so at that rate, it would be ten years before receiving a degree. Right now I do plan on doing classes, taking them as I am time wise and see what the future holds.
Should say one class a term-wouldn't let me edit.
Tags:deduction - college expenses
Reply Up