Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Space
Unregistered 12:50 PM 01-28-2018
This sounds odd, but here goes... I use my daughter's room as my nap room. In the past I've used cribs for my infants instead of pack n plays, but they do take up a lot of space. Rather than taking pack n plays up & down each day I prefer to leave a crib up permanently but I'm out of room in the nap room. I have a closet that is exactly the size of a crib. It's wide, not deep if that makes sense. I could theoretically put a crib in there & the front of it would be flush with the wall, so it wouldn't be like the crib was tucked away in a closet perse. If I took the doors off so it was just an open space would that be an appropriate area to have a child, or would that be completely weird? It looks fine to me, but there have been so many horror stories about children forced to sleep in a closet that I felt like maybe it would be iffy. Nothing else would be stored in the closet. And again, no doors on the front. If that seems off I'll just let the idea go. Just trying to maximize my space.
CityGarden 01:04 PM 01-28-2018
I would not want my child to nap in a closet (even with the doors off) so I would not set up my daycare space that way....

Also I would check with licensing to see if they would even allow that.
HappyEverAfter 01:57 PM 01-28-2018
With the doors off the closet and the crib being flush with the entrance of the closet, and assuming there are no clothes or items being stored in the closet, this wouldn’t bother me. It really wouldn’t even seem like a closet to me when used in this regard.
Now if the closet is being used to also store clothing and other items then I’d say no because I’d feel like the child was sleeping in a closet.
And you’d probably want to run this by licensing just to get the go ahead before you do it.
TooManyKitties 11:43 PM 01-28-2018
I don’t know if it will work with licensing, but cribs in closets is totally a thing: popsugar.com/moms/Nurseries-Closets-22722476
TooManyKitties 11:47 PM 01-28-2018
Here it is with the link working:http://https://www.popsugar.com/moms/Nurseries-Closets-22722476
DaveA 03:55 AM 01-29-2018
If the doors were off it sounds like an efficient use of space like in those pics. But yeah I would check with licensing before doing it. I would also show your DCFs the arrangement so they know what the situation is when one of the older children tell them you make the baby "sleep in the closet".
Unregistered 04:15 AM 01-29-2018
Originally Posted by DaveA:
If the doors were off it sounds like an efficient use of space like in those pics. But yeah I would check with licensing before doing it. I would also show your DCFs the arrangement so they know what the situation is when one of the older children tell them you make the baby "sleep in the closet".
Yes, haha. I can see where that would be bad. One of my parents was actually the person who suggested it to me. I initially dismissed it completely, but the more I've thought about it the more I liked the idea. I'm legally unlicensed in my state, but I try very hard to follow the rules that licensing would impose. I am touch with our local childcare resource center here & I've attended their classes & such. I will check with them to be sure it is an ok use of space.
Unregistered 04:18 AM 01-29-2018
Originally Posted by TooManyKitties:
I don’t know if it will work with licensing, but cribs in closets is totally a thing: popsugar.com/moms/Nurseries-Closets-22722476
Yes! The pictures are exactly what I'm talking about! Thank you.
storybookending 06:25 AM 01-29-2018
I think so long as the doors are taken off you would be fine. I know of providers that use closets without doors as other types of usable space (book nooks, playhouses etc)
ColorfulSunburst 11:43 AM 01-29-2018
For my infants I use this kind of cribs https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Me-Port...by%2Bcrib&th=1
You can fold it and put into the closet every evening and just take out only for nap time.
cribs.jpg
Attached:
Tags:sleep - area
Reply Up