Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Guns Guns Guns! How do We Stop Playing Guns!?
55CMK83 12:01 PM 06-03-2010
I have a dcb that loves to build guns out of the mega blocks that I have. Mind you, he is only 2 yrs old. I have told him we don't play guns, I have redirected his play, I have taken the gun away, I have take then "gun" apart infront of him and helped him build something else however we keep making and playing guns. I even took ALL of the blocks away - he then resorts to finding other toys and playing guns - such as a doll.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
SunflowerMama 12:06 PM 06-03-2010
I have ALL girls except one super sweet, almost 4yr old dcb. I don't think my crew even knows what a gun is...we're all babies and kitchen play. I say just take girls from now on.
55CMK83 12:08 PM 06-03-2010
LOL I wish I could take just girls ... however then I would drop 3 full time boys and 1 part time ... don't think I wanna do that LOL
Janet 12:16 PM 06-03-2010
Once a kid is told about my "no gun" rule here, they are expected to follow it. I use time outs with any kid who pretends he/she has a gun or any other weapon. I don't have any toy guns or any other weapons. I'm very strict on that policy. There's enough violence in the world as it it, so I like keeping my home as peaceful as possible. I'm very upfront with the families in my care about my guns/weapons policy. One parent sent her kid to daycare with a toy gun...twice! The first time I sent it home and nicely reminded her of my policy. The second time I threw the gun in the garbage.
Daycare Mommy 12:32 PM 06-03-2010
Originally Posted by 55CMK83:
LOL I wish I could take just girls ...
Tell me about it! I have all girls and my son and I SWEAR I must be the only parent in 50 miles that taught her son not to pee all over the bathroom every time they go. I'm looking for kids to fill a slot right now and I really want to put "girls only" on my ads! haha
grandmom 12:34 PM 06-03-2010
I know exactly how you feel. My own son bit a Cherrio so that the piece left was a gun, turned it and pointed it - he was not yet 2.

I don't allow weapon play of any kind at dc. However, I don't make a huge deal about it, just remove the toy. I believe God made the boys the protectors. It's in their genes. Seriously, how many little boys don't make weapons, and play weapons? When we refuse them this experience, we are teaching them to ignore their God-given responsibilites. Then they don't grow up knowing how to protect the women in their lives.
originalkat 04:40 PM 06-03-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
I have ALL girls except one super sweet, almost 4yr old dcb. I don't think my crew even knows what a gun is...we're all babies and kitchen play. I say just take girls from now on.
We are in the same boat over here.
Childminder 04:58 PM 06-03-2010
Consistency. Just keep repeating yourself, NO Guns! Not here! and redirecting. Some are thicker headed but he will eventually get it.
Momma In MT 06:22 PM 06-03-2010
We don't do guns at my house either. If it becomes a problem they get one warning, then a timeout. After the timeout I tell them if they can't remember the rules they must be too tired and they will have to take a nap. I have only had to lay 1 kid down 1 time and it has never gotten to that point again.
Chickenhauler 09:18 PM 06-03-2010
OK, I'm going to be odd person out here....

You're going about it all wrong. These kids are fascinated with guns because it's forbidden. Think of it like a teenager smoking (and cure it the same way).

Use this tactic and see where it goes.

Have them all make a gun. Now have them shoot for 10 minutes straight at something like a pillow or a rock or the fridge. They can't stop, they gotta go the full ten minutes.

It'll get boring really fast, and they'll think playing guns is lame.

It worked all the time for my mom in her daycare.

There is a second part to this that really isn't feasible in daycare, but children have to be taught respect and responsibility with firearms. My son at 5 understands that guns are not a toy, but something very serious and there is great responsibility that goes with them because he was taught this from the start.

The people I knew in HS who had the biggest fascination (and were the most dangerous) with guns were the ones who lived in households where they were taboo and 'dirty' and 'naughty'.
professionalmom 09:55 PM 06-03-2010
Originally Posted by grandmom:
I know exactly how you feel. My own son bit a Cherrio so that the piece left was a gun, turned it and pointed it - he was not yet 2.

I don't allow weapon play of any kind at dc. However, I don't make a huge deal about it, just remove the toy. I believe God made the boys the protectors. It's in their genes. Seriously, how many little boys don't make weapons, and play weapons? When we refuse them this experience, we are teaching them to ignore their God-given responsibilites. Then they don't grow up knowing how to protect the women in their lives.
I don't allow it either. however, I did have one DCB who would "shoot" you with his bare fingers, then you were supposed to fall down and stay down until he kissed you. This was a game his mom and aunts came up with to get him to give them kisses because he was going through that "too big to kiss mommy" stage. I thought that was a little weird, especially from a very liberal, anti-violence mom!
TGT09 06:02 AM 06-04-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
OK, I'm going to be odd person out here....

You're going about it all wrong. These kids are fascinated with guns because it's forbidden. Think of it like a teenager smoking (and cure it the same way).

Use this tactic and see where it goes.

Have them all make a gun. Now have them shoot for 10 minutes straight at something like a pillow or a rock or the fridge. They can't stop, they gotta go the full ten minutes.

It'll get boring really fast, and they'll think playing guns is lame.

It worked all the time for my mom in her daycare.

There is a second part to this that really isn't feasible in daycare, but children have to be taught respect and responsibility with firearms. My son at 5 understands that guns are not a toy, but something very serious and there is great responsibility that goes with them because he was taught this from the start.

The people I knew in HS who had the biggest fascination (and were the most dangerous) with guns were the ones who lived in households where they were taboo and 'dirty' and 'naughty'.
I totally get this concept. I have a 5 y.o. dcb who turns everything into guns including my mega blocks like OP said. Funny thing is, he is NOT allowed to play any games, video games, or anything in general that is violent at home. His parents wave a peace flag at their house and have made comments to me that "thinks we shouldn't be at war and soldiers should not have to fight and die". :-) I'm a previous military wife so I just bite my tongue. ANYWAY, I think this certain DCB makes things into guns because he's forbidden at home. Same dcb told me one day he likes bananas and apples the best...I said why and he responds with because they look like a gun and a bomb. I told dcm when she picked him up and I thought she was going to flip out...she was speechless! I tried to explain this is typical boy play but I know he got a talking to when he got home!
Tags:toy gun play
Reply Up