Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Food Issues in Daycare
kopalle 01:46 PM 06-10-2010
my son 2and half years old and going to daycare from 1monthin ga state,
we have to pack lunch they don't provide food.
they were saying in ga by law kid needs drink in day care with lunch?
and can n't keep the food and fruit if he don't eat they jest throw away even fruit that he won't touch it.
thay says its law for every thing.i make lunch inthe mornig freshly and still they have to keep in fridge and warm up again that fresh food ?
is it right iam confused.
jen 07:26 AM 06-11-2010
I'm a little confused...

Are you asking if you need to pack a drink with lunch? I think that sounds reasonable. Why wouldn't you pack a drink?

As for the leftover, it also makes sense to me that they would need to toss those.

I'm not sure about your question regarding the refrigeration. Is your question whether the food needs to be refrigerated by the daycare? YES! If you made the food in the morning and don't refrigerate there is a chance it could have bacteria by the afternoon when it is served.
Chickenhauler 10:09 AM 06-11-2010
Who, wha...huh.....?

Glad to see I'm not the only one completely confused here......
Janet 12:37 PM 06-11-2010
When my daughter was at one daycare center, all of the parents had to provide lunch for their kids. This center had a policy that required that we not pack anything that they needed to heat up and we had to pack lunches with ice packs. At first, I was mad and I thought it was dumb that they couldn't just reheat leftovers or couldn't just warm up some spaghettios or any other food that I might have packed. Now that I'm the provider, I totally get it. I don't require my families to provide lunches or any other food, in fact, I'd rather that they didn't bring food from home. If I were to recieve a meal from a family for their child and it was leftovers, I would absolutely pitch it. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. It's all about liability for me. Also it's a pain in my ass to have to prepare separate lunches for kids. If there is a medical need or if there are religious or cultural reasons, then I'd be fine with a separate lunch, but as a general rule, I'd much rather not deal with the hassle. OP, yes, if you are packing a lunch for your child, you probably should send a drink, too. If you are sending leftovers with your child and the provider is throwing them away, it is most likely because of liability issues. That seems like the reason that would make the most sense if the provider is throwing food away. If your provider is throwing away food that your child didn't eat, and you would prefer that she keep it, then you should talk to her about it and ask her to put it back in the lunch box. If it's a problem for her, then you may need to send a smaller lunch or send something different. I know that my daughter went through stages where she would not eat apples that I would send with lunch for a few weeks and after a while, she would go back to liking apples again. Good luck.
kopalle 12:16 PM 06-12-2010
1.kids need to drink milk with lunch in day care?(we usually serve yogurt with lunch at home,and can't have milk and yogurt at a time)

2.fresh fruit if kid don't want to eat(untouched fruit by kid) they can simply throw in a trash?

3.in day care they say he got 2spoons thats it, and write on info sheet he got 1/2.tahts the reasion i ask them give me left over to have an idea, not to feed that food to baby again.
Golden Rule 06:26 PM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by kopalle:
1.kids need to drink milk with lunch in day care?(we usually serve yogurt with lunch at home,and can't have milk and yogurt at a time)

2.fresh fruit if kid don't want to eat(untouched fruit by kid) they can simply throw in a trash?

3.in day care they say he got 2spoons thats it, and write on info sheet he got 1/2.tahts the reasion i ask them give me left over to have an idea, not to feed that food to baby again.
Ok, I think I know where you are coming from. In an infant room, that does not provide meals, they usually have small refrigerators (or require refrigerated bags) and keep each childs food for the day in their bags from home. (I worked in one, once.)

In Georgia all MEALS (breakfast, lunch, dinner) must be served with whole milk (not powdered) or formula (Even if served with yogurt and sliced cheese)...... Snacks (morning and afternoon) can include whole milk OR whole juice (not mixed with water). All uneaten food must be discarded. This is true.

If there are discrepancies as to the amount they are telling you he eats versus what they are recording on his daily sheet, you really need to speak with the director. It is possible there is just miscommunication between the morning and afternoon teachers (happens way too much), but it is better to let the director do her/his job than to get in the middle of personnel issues.

It is also possible others are having the same issue. Talking to the director may solve it for several people including the lead teacher. Good luck!!
kopalle 10:30 AM 06-25-2010
thank you for your info and i spoke to the director, he took care of this issue.
Tags:food problems
Reply Up