Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Terming During Initial 2-Week Trial?
SilverSabre25 02:46 PM 02-21-2011
For the first time ever I am considering terming a new client during the initial 2-week trial period. Last week was their first week; this is their second week. I got a response to my ad today with someone wanting care for a 27 month old, which fits into my current age-group MUCH better than the 8-month old in question (the other kids I watch are 33 months, 24 months, 20 months, and 15 months).

Question...if I decide to not keep this family, how do I tell them? When do I tell them? Tomorrow? Friday? Do I give them a full two weeks to find other care, or would they be done at the end of this week? What do I tell them is the reason? Up until now all my reports all my reports have been very positive...and it's not like she's a problem, exactly...

This is hard for me because the baby is pretty easy, very sweet, and her parents seem nice enough (if they would stop calling me twice a day that is, lol). I have never termed anyone for any reason, and part of that is because I'm admittedly a bit of a wimp. I feel bad even thinking about this because her parents told me that it took them a long time to find me (although I am a touch suspicious of this statement since they found my CL ad on Saturday night, set up an interview for Sunday and started Monday...) and I feel like I'll be leaving them up a creek. It is clear in my contract that the first 2 weeks are a trial for both them and me, and they read and signed (and asked a million questions about several things) the contract so they should know.
KEG123 02:51 PM 02-21-2011
Well, you might not be getting the other family, despite the fact they say they need someone.What I'd do is interview the new family and if they truly want to start, let the other family know you feel an older child would fit in better with your daily activities.
littlemissmuffet 03:05 PM 02-21-2011
Eh, I think taking the older child now that s/he's an option is a bit of a cop out. If you weren't looking for an 8 month old, you should have specified specific ages in your ad, or at least before setting up an interview.

The baby isn't a problem... and if the worst of your issues is that the parents call twice a day, I don't think it's right to term because something potentially better might come along...

But, that's just my opinion.

The next family might not sign up. And if they do, they could end up being a total horror story... then what?
momatheart 03:41 PM 02-21-2011
The next family is not a sure thing. Yes they may fit nicely into your group now. However you could term this nice family and this next potential could be a very misbehaved child or the parents could be a piece of work. I think you should hold onto what you have committed to. Still interview the possible and put them on a list. Win them over with your charm and great daycare and make them want you!
Jewels 05:25 PM 02-21-2011
I think its kind of a crappy reason to terminate someone, considering you say you like the family and the baby is fairly easy, If you terminate I would personally feel you should give them any deposits back they may have made, since they did nothing to deserve it. Kind of unfair.
Preschool/daycare teacher 06:05 PM 02-21-2011
I agree with the others that since this new child isn't a sure thing yet you'd really be kicking yourself for letting one family go if this new one did not work out. Is there any way you could go ahead and interview the new child THIS WEEK? It'd be even better if you could stay within legal limits and take this new child on trial basis for a little while and if things go really well with them you could let the 8 mo old go then? I know you'd have to refund their deposit (or whatever your policy is) after their first two weeks is over, but if it were me I would feel it'd be well worth it to be sure it was the best choice with the other family before terming them.

I'm wondering why you took on this 8 mo old so quicky if you didn't really want one so young. Did you go through a a really long period where you couldn't fill the spot and then you FINALLY got a bite from the family with the 8 mo old and thought you better go for it? I understand what those times are like! It does seem pretty unfair to this family, though, to term them just because something better came up, since you did take them on and aren't having any problems with them yet.

Would both families bring in the same income for your daycare, or would one bring in more than the other? If the new one was full time and the 8 mo old part time I could better understand terming them, and they'd understand better too.

What are the pros and cons of the 27 month old over the 8 mo old (besides the fact that they'd fit in better with the age of your current group)?
gbcc 07:10 PM 02-21-2011
I would probably just be honest and up front with the family. If you know for sure you are terming just let them know that you don't feel the 8mth old is compatable with your environment right now. It is nothing they did nor is it the child you just did not prepare yourself for the age difference and you don't feel it will work out.
Pammie 03:23 AM 02-22-2011
Terminating a client is always difficult - but in my opinion, a two week trial period is for both the provider and the client - and it's much easier to terminate within that trial period than after. If you feel that it's not working out for you (for whatever reason) then it's in everyone's best interest to terminate. I don't know any client that wants their child to remain in a daycare where the provider isn't happy with the arrangement. I think all you have to tell them is a reminder that as you're in the two-week trial, you've feel that it's just not a good fit. I don't think you have to go into any lengthy explanations. Then it's up to you whether you want to end at the end of the two weeks - or give them a full two-week notice.
Good luck in whatever you decide!
Unregistered 04:06 AM 02-22-2011
I have to agree with the others that it is a cop out to terminate this baby because it doesn't fit well into your age group. Why did you take the baby on in the first place if you were really looking for an older child? That doesn't seem fair to do that to the parents at this point. If the baby was a problem that would be different. Why do you still have an ad in if you have the number of kids you want? If I were the parents I would be pretty upset with a provider that would think of terming because of the age of their child and ask you why didn't you say in the first place that you were not looking for a 8 month old. If you HAVE to term, I would apologize and give them their money back for this week and just end it now, that way it doesn't cause them a lot of heartache trying to deal with you for the rest of the week.

I have a certain age that I take and look for, and I don't even bother to answer any replies to my ad if they don't fit my daycare. Maybe that is what you should do for your daycare, just look for the age you want and that should prevent what your going through now.
SilverSabre25 04:52 AM 02-22-2011
I have an interview scheduled with the older child and his family for this evening. I'm really hoping it works out after the crap the 8 mo's family is pulling on me today. I need to grow a dang backbone...the ink is barely dry on their contract and they are ignoring my sick policies and my vacation policies (weren't here yesterday and didn't pay me for yesterday, when I clearly state in the contract that they can't use vacation days during the two weeks' trial).

*sigh* This business sure is full of learning opportunities.
Unregistered 06:20 AM 02-22-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I have an interview scheduled with the older child and his family for this evening. I'm really hoping it works out after the crap the em8 mo's family is pulling on me today. I need to grow a dang backbone...the ink is barely dry on their contract and they are ignoring my sick policies and my vacation policies (weren't here yesterday and didn't pay me for yesterday, when I clearly state in the contract that they can't use vacation days during the two weeks' trial).

*sigh* This business sure is full of learning opportunities.
W, Iwo

NOW, you have the right and good reason to terminate! I would terminate too!
Go for it and get rid of them!
Lilbutterflie 06:31 AM 02-22-2011
At first I was thinking that you should keep the first child, the age difference between the kids will shrink before you know it, and soon they will all be playing and talking like there wasn't an age gap at all! Plus, you like this new baby, and the new child is not a sure thing.

BUT if they have already taken a day off without paying, you do have grounds to end it. I would too! And you are interviewing tonight so hopefully it works out.

If it doesn't work out with this new family... break out your backbone! Don't let them abuse your policies the first two weeks!

Good luck!
Tags:terminate, trial period
Reply Up