Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Guess Who's Without An Assistant Again!!
Hunni Bee 04:50 PM 01-23-2012
....so this one's been let go for failure to follow center policy.

I've had her since June...I liked her. But if people can't follow simple instructions, heads-ups and warnings, they can't be helped. I'm lead, so my name is on those kiddos basically, and I can't have it smeared because other people won't do what they're asked to. Plus anyone not taking care of my babies correctly goes on my sh** list.

This makes what has to be the 15th assistant I've gone through in five years.

It must be me...

I REALLY dread training anyone else at this point. I don't have the power to pick my assistant, and the director just basically picks whoever seems to like kids and gets along with her...

Ugh.
Preschool/daycare teacher 06:45 PM 01-23-2012
I'm sure it's not you! But I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has problems with just about everyone who comes in to "help". First the substitute who comes in to help out when owner needs day or a couple hours off. Not a help to me at all. Found it easier to work alone with the children (within state ratio of 10:1 of course). She's STILL the only one on our substitute list despite my numerous complaints to owner (substitutes are hard to find. Everyone needs consistant hours). And now it's the highschool intern... she's still young (16), so that explains a lot, but when she tries to act like she knows more than me and I need to do things the way they do at her school (preschool through highschool are all in one building, just different classrooms. She interned in their preschool class last time). And defies my authority right in front of the children (I was ready to implement a consequence, and she jumped in before I could and said, "well, the way I see it...and basically said it didn't matter what the child did). And she critiques my preschool methods and tells me how they do it at her school. And anytime the owner is around she talks the whole time to her while I take care of the children. It gets really annoying! But I don't think the owner has noticed anything wrong with how she acts and I hate to say anything since I know the owner would think I just can't get along with anybody. Plus intern's mom knows the owner a little bit from outside daycare. The girl's internship doesn't end until April, I think (she has a different internship each semester of highschool)
I'm glad to hear that your director listens to you and does something about it when you tell her what someone's doing wrong. Maybe she'd listen to some hiring tips? Good luck with your next assistant. Maybe you can put them through daycare boot camp during the training period and put the fear into them by telling them how each of the other assistants got let go (maybe she'll try to avoid doing those same things, knowing it won't be overlooked! )
Kaddidle Care 04:43 AM 01-24-2012
You need to find someone that is satisfied with being an Assistant and not a Teacher wannabee.

Some people think "Oh I would love to work with babies/children!" and then they do it and realize how much real work it is and get burned out.
Hunni Bee 06:30 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
You need to find someone that is satisfied with being an Assistant and not a Teacher wannabee.

Some people think "Oh I would love to work with babies/children!" and then they do it and realize how much real work it is and get burned out.
yes, or.they have their own ideas about how things should be done, not understanding why certain policies are in place.
Preschool/daycare teacher 03:32 PM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
yes, or.they have their own ideas about how things should be done, not understanding why certain policies are in place.
Exactly! Or that each group of children will be different from another group, since each child is different, meaning each daycare or preschool will be different in the way things are done. Just curious, can you say which polices weren't being followed? Just wondering if there's certain policies that most people have trouble following, or if it's just the fact that it's a "rule" and they think rules do not apply to them, unless it's convenient for them.
Hunni Bee 07:11 PM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
Exactly! Or that each group of children will be different from another group, since each child is different, meaning each daycare or preschool will be different in the way things are done. Just curious, can you say which polices weren't being followed? Just wondering if there's certain policies that most people have trouble following, or if it's just the fact that it's a "rule" and they think rules do not apply to them, unless it's convenient for them.
She and I are the same age, so she (and most of them) have a hard time with the the lead/assistant situation, meaning I'M lead and THEY'RE the assistant.

I have asked her over and over again NOT to have excessive dialogue with the parents about their kid or anything else. Leave that to me. Cant do it.

I have asked her over and over to report to me anything that goes on out of the ordinary. And this is what she was let go over. A kid gets hurt, a toy gets broken, whatever. Let me know. Because, ultimately, I'm going to be left holding the bag and "I didn't know about it" doesn't cover my a**.

I asked her not to make significant decisions on her own, without clearing them with me.

And a bunch of little things. How hard is it to make sure the toilets are flushed before you leave??

The way my program is set up, I was rarely around to look over her shoulder and why should I have to?
Kaddidle Care 04:33 AM 01-25-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
She and I are the same age, so she (and most of them) have a hard time with the the lead/assistant situation, meaning I'M lead and THEY'RE the assistant.
The last 2 Teacher's I have worked for have been younger than me. Age doesn't mean anything so long as they have the experience and/or education to do the job.

The non-flush toilet thing tells me she wasn't keeping track of them. I don't know how your place is set up but with ours we have to walk down the hall to go to the bathrooms. Listening to a flush isn't very hard. I'm always reminding the children to flush, then wash their hands WITH SOAP! Then it's ONE paper towel, not 10!!!
Tags:assistant, assistant no more, assistant vent, helper, substitute
Reply Up