Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Can I Do? Child Who Rocks the P-N-P
legomom922 07:55 AM 09-24-2010
So I ahve a 15 mo old who naps in his PNP just fine...However somedays when he does not want to lay down when it is time, will rock the PNP to the point where he almost knocks it over! I am worried if he does this he will get hurt. Usually after several minutes, he will lay down and go to sleep. Sometimes he does this as I'm cleaning up after breakfast or lunch, when I put him in it for 10-15, so he is not in my way. I just cant let him run free ALL of the time, especialy with a newborn here as well. Any suggestions?
DCMomOf3 08:02 AM 09-24-2010
I had one that did that and I was advised here to transition him to a mat. I did do it and he sleeps very well now.
Live and Learn 08:03 AM 09-24-2010
I think I would push it into an empty corner. I don't think it would flip over then.
marniewon 08:24 AM 09-24-2010
I have one who does the same thing! i would not transition him to a mat though, he would NEVER stay laying down.
DBug 08:35 AM 09-24-2010
I just started an 18 month old who sleeps in a pnp at home. I figured letting him sleep in one here would help the transition go a little bit better (since it's been crazy as it is!). He would jump up and down screaming so much that I thought he might break the pnp mattress board, so the other day I decided to try him on a cot. I got mentally prepared to spend the entire naptime putting him back on the cot, rubbing his back, etc., etc. Lo and behold, he fell asleep in minutes and stayed asleep the entire time, with one minor stirring.

I'd suggest giving the cot/mat a trial run, just to see. It's always worth a shot!
legomom922 08:55 AM 09-24-2010
Well the pnp is already in the corner, and man does he get that thing rockin! And scratchin the wall...

This kid is a TRUE busy body, and I have a hard enough time with him as it is, getting into everything, and he is very high strung, so I dont think a mat would work with him either...He would just keep getting up..

He drives me soo crazy some days I really dread having him here most of the time, thats why I have to put him in the pnp while I clean up in the kitchen. He is just "one of those" you cannot have lose!

I'm actually considering putting him in that same room with a gate across the door while I clean up the kitchen. The room for the most part is empty except for the 2 pnp's and my stepkids bunkbeds, but i dont want him climbing on those and falling while I'm not there, so I dont even know if taht would work or not either...

he is a VERY strong willed child, and when he is mad , he lets you know it! He has just taken up the horrible habit of pinching too when hes mad. Dont know how to stop that one either...

keep the ideas coming though! Glad to know I'm not the only one!
legomom922 03:59 PM 09-24-2010
anyone else? I'm desparate....
MyAngels 04:07 PM 09-26-2010
You could try one of these http://www.amazon.com/North-States-S...5543991&sr=8-1 though you might have to secure it somehow so he can't just push it around the room lol.
legomom922 05:14 PM 09-26-2010
hey that might be a good idea! Do you think it would fall over if he pushed it? I wouldnt want him to ruin my drywall by attaching it though..

Has anyone tried these?
MyAngels 07:25 PM 09-26-2010
I've had one for a few years now, but I've really only used it a couple of times. Once I had twin boys - great kids, but really into everything unless I kept an eagle eye on them, so I used it when I was making lunch and such. They would push it across the floor, and so I used a couple of wire ties and attached it to the leg of a table . The other time I used it for a little guy who was very aggressive to other kids, just to give him his personal space without confining him too much. I have also used it once or twice to gate off my Christmas tree when I have curious crawlers at that time of year.
SilverSabre25 08:40 PM 09-26-2010
I use a superyard across the bottom of the driveway to stop balls and small children from escaping. It works pretty well. It shouldn't fall over very easily if he pushes on it. If you find one second-hand, that's the best way to go probably. Or if you find someone you know who has one you could borrow just to find out if it will help, you could then make a decision about buying one.
legomom922 04:43 AM 09-27-2010
Well it will be on carpet, so I dont think it can be pushed too easily on carpet, right?

I will ck on CL and see if I can get a used one!
Tags:mats, mattress, transitioning
Reply Up