Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Being Taken Advantage Of
TwinMama 08:37 AM 06-23-2016
So....I know I did this to myself, but...I try to have a good relationship with my families. I only have 3 families total and only have 2 of those families over the Summer.

Currently the Dad of one family is in charge of paying me....he's late ALL the time. He even pays me through PayPal that he can do easy as pie over his phone. He always tells me how easy it is. The Mom told me to remind him, but I don't feel that I should have to.

They are very wealthy so it's not a question of them having the funds to pay me.

Now...they keep changing their Summer schedule. Today for instance their 2 older kids aren't coming. That's money out of my pocket. Our contract says that I can charge for the younger one whether she comes or not, but not for the older ones. However, they keep changing their schedules last minute. We had discussed them giving me notice.

My contract also says that I should be charging them late fees for not paying, and for not picking up on time. I'm being too nice about this...and it didn't bother me before. They're a good family and I'm lucky to have them, but....they're taking advantage.

I know it's my fault though, but how do I fix it...or can I without ruining my relationship.
Cat Herder 08:58 AM 06-23-2016
Originally Posted by TwinMama:

I know it's my fault though, but how do I fix it...or can I without ruining my relationship.
What relationship? The one you hate? I see that as already ruined.

Tuition not based on attendance and pay in advance auto-pay.

Unregistered 08:59 AM 06-23-2016
"As of Xxxx xx, business practices will be realigned as follows:
Schedule for the upcoming week is due by Friday at 5:30 p.m. along with payment. Fees are not refundable or applied to later weeks.
Late fees will be invoiced for late payment and late pick-up at xx rates.
Etc.
Etc. .... "

Personally I would not do the drop in style, but if you contracted with them that way for a set amount of time, you may need to honor it for that period.
If it isn't a set period, consider changing it according to what your contract allows ( 2 week notice, or whatever.)

Keep it business-like. Apply it to all families equally.
childcaremom 09:03 AM 06-23-2016
I would def. change things.

As mentioned, set tuition not based on attendance and late fees for everything moving forward.

I would write a formal letter, as well, giving them the heads up that moving forward and starting immediately, you will be doing the following: charging late fees, etc etc

Yes they might leave.

Or they might smarten up.
Snowmom 09:08 AM 06-23-2016
Take some time and write out exactly what you want to change about this particular working relationship.
Try to keep it to being professionally stated and matter-of-fact.
The best formula for writing up these kind of letters:
1. Start off with "nice" (a compliment)
2. Then get to the nitty gritty bones.
3. Finish off with a "nice" (thank you for being a loyal customer).

Print it off along with a copy of your handbook & contract and present it to them.

It's business, not personal!
TwinMama 09:29 AM 06-23-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
"As of Xxxx xx, business practices will be realigned as follows:
Schedule for the upcoming week is due by Friday at 5:30 p.m. along with payment. Fees are not refundable or applied to later weeks.
Late fees will be invoiced for late payment and late pick-up at xx rates.
Etc.
Etc. .... "

Personally I would not do the drop in style, but if you contracted with them that way for a set amount of time, you may need to honor it for that period.
If it isn't a set period, consider changing it according to what your contract allows ( 2 week notice, or whatever.)

Keep it business-like. Apply it to all families equally.
That's the crappy part. They created the drop in style. They gave me a Summer schedule and aren't following it. I got notified the 2 kids wouldn't be here when they got dropped off this morning.
Snowmom 09:34 AM 06-23-2016
That's the crappy part. They created the drop in style. They gave me a Summer schedule and aren't following it. I got notified the 2 kids wouldn't be here when they got dropped off this morning.
I'm a little confused. I'm assuming you agreed to not being paid if the kids weren't there. But, you DID agree to a schedule? But, they're not following it and expect to still not pay?
Play Care 09:35 AM 06-23-2016
"Dear DCP's

Per our contract/schedule x amount is due for the days you have scheduled. Payment will be due today at pick up for next week. Please note I do not offer "drop in/pay as you go" services. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

DCP"

I mean, if you had known they wouldn't come/pay, you could have started advertising for someone who will....
Blackcat31 09:38 AM 06-23-2016
I would create the need for a weekly schedule and then not allow changes after they submit it.

They can choose not to bring the kids but once they actually "reserve" the space they need to pay for it.

Explain it that way too... they are essentially "reserving" the space so you cant fill it with anyone else if they cancel.

Tell the what worked before is no longer working so you need to start enforcing some rules now.
childcaremom 09:41 AM 06-23-2016
So what I would do.... is write a letter as if it's going to everyone.

Summer is here! yada yada yada In order to help keep things running smoothly, please remember that the following policies are in effect and will be enforced effective immediately:
*late fees for xyz
*payments due by xyz or late fees for xyz
*schedules are to be submitted by xyz and tuition paid regardless of attendance (or whatever you are willing to do for this family)

I've attached a copy of the handbook/emailed a copy for your perusal. Thank you for your cooperation. This is effective immediately.

We are looking forward to xyz. Hurray! yada yada yada

Your dcp

Gets your point across without centering them out and is done in a less threatening manner.

I've done this a lot of times. It is indirect so be prepared for the possiblity of having a verbal conversation in case they think that the letter does not apply to them. It has always worked out for me but I was always prepared for it not too. I'd rather work with clients who follow my rules/policies than those who don't.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:02 AM 06-23-2016
YOU MUST FIX THIS! I had the same problem years ago. Check this out to get the full background and how I fixed it for my business.

If you feel the need to explain you can state that this is your profession (not job) and business. Therefore, moving forward tuition payments are do on (fill in here) or as per our contract $(fill in here) daily late fee will be charged until payment is submitted. I probably would issue a memo to all the parents, even though it only really involves one family. To me that just looks more official and professional.

By the way, you just reminded me to send out my weekly tuition reminder for tomorrow. LOL! It's just a little more work and will be worth it tomorrow.

I know its uncomfortable, but sometimes you have to get tough. Otherwise clients will develop a habit of treating your business casually which just means more work for you. And just to encourage you, if you do get tough you won't have to worry about this issue (that much) any more.
TwinMama 11:35 AM 06-23-2016
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I'm a little confused. I'm assuming you agreed to not being paid if the kids weren't there. But, you DID agree to a schedule? But, they're not following it and expect to still not pay?
Yup. That's correct. It's just stupid is what it is.
Controlled Chaos 12:11 PM 06-23-2016
So....I know I did this to myself, but...I try to have a good relationship with my families. I only have 3 families total and only have 2 of those families over the Summer.

Currently the Dad of one family is in charge of paying me....he's late ALL the time. He even pays me through PayPal that he can do easy as pie over his phone. He always tells me how easy it is. The Mom told me to remind him, but I don't feel that I should have to.

They are very wealthy so it's not a question of them having the funds to pay me.

Now...they keep changing their Summer schedule. Today for instance their 2 older kids aren't coming. That's money out of my pocket. Our contract says that I can charge for the younger one whether she comes or not, but not for the older ones. However, they keep changing their schedules last minute. We had discussed them giving me notice.

My contract also says that I should be charging them late fees for not paying, and for not picking up on time. I'm being too nice about this...and it didn't bother me before. They're a good family and I'm lucky to have them, but....they're taking advantage.

Good families respect you, pay you on time and respect their contract

Its like allowing a child to break toys because "they have a good heart". KWIM?

Help them be a good family by making them respect your policies.

I had a similar issue several years ago before I re structured my business. I had not been charging when they were absent and had allowed lots of last minute cancellations and schedule changes. I gave the families 2 weeks notice that as of xx date I would need to know their schedule a month at a time (I hated working weekly), that they would be charged for all days schedule before care was provided regardless of attendance. The families were great about it. They said they couldn't believe how long I had done it the other way where as THEY put it "you were getting screwed!". I was like really?! But they were doing what was best for their family as long as I allowed it, even though they knew it was hurting me financially and that is was disrespectful.

Now I have great families, because I won't tolerate less If they do something not so great, its my responsibility to make sure they understand the consequence and follow through.

*Sorry if this is a chaotic reply - it took me 2 hours to type it our between other stuff lol
TwinMama 12:16 PM 06-23-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Good families respect you, pay you on time and respect their contract

Its like allowing a child to break toys because "they have a good heart". KWIM?

Help them be a good family by making them respect your policies.

I had a similar issue several years ago before I re structured my business. I had not been charging when they were absent and had allowed lots of last minute cancellations and schedule changes. I gave the families 2 weeks notice that as of xx date I would need to know their schedule a month at a time (I hated working weekly), that they would be charged for all days schedule before care was provided regardless of attendance. The families were great about it. They said they couldn't believe how long I had done it the other way where as THEY put it "you were getting screwed!". I was like really?! But they were doing what was best for their family as long as I allowed it, even though they knew it was hurting me financially and that is was disrespectful.

Now I have great families, because I won't tolerate less If they do something not so great, its my responsibility to make sure they understand the consequence and follow through.

*Sorry if this is a chaotic reply - it took me 2 hours to type it our between other stuff lol
That's the perfect way to put it actually. I appreciate it.

You're right....it's my responsibility to make sure they understand.

One of my families actually think I should charge more than just the $30 a day. Why can't all families be like them.
sleepinghart 10:01 AM 06-25-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would create the need for a weekly schedule and then not allow changes after they submit it.

They can choose not to bring the kids but once they actually "reserve" the space they need to pay for it.

Explain it that way too... they are essentially "reserving" the space so you cant fill it with anyone else if they cancel.

Tell the what worked before is no longer working so you need to start enforcing some rules now.
(^^bolding^^ by me)
~Since they have been contracted to pay only for the time they stay, I might do it ^^this way^^ because I don't think this way is breaking that contract ... You're just adding on to it and giving them notice about it too- that way if they don't like it then sayonara. I also like the post/s about just changing the contract from now on to be 'pay regardless of attendance' but of course give them notice, 2 weeks or so, as to whether they want to agree to/sign the new contract and again, if they don't- sayonara. You just have to apologize but say that the current way things are going with scheduling & payment just aren't working out for you.

~In my experience, carrying on as you are now, allowing them to take advantage of you for whatever reason, will only lead to further resentment, anger, disappointment, frustration, low self-esteem, etc. and it's totally not worth it just so someone who knows better, has the means to do better, and yet still disrespects you & your business will stay on as clients ... totally not worth it ... the money, the security, or whatever it is that they give you(which in reality isn't much) it's not worth it IMH&HO. ~Best Wishes!
Reply Up