Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Teaching About The Human Body?
spud912 01:16 PM 09-21-2011
Any ideas on how to teach 2-3 year olds about the human body?
daycare 01:24 PM 09-21-2011
we just did this with -2-5 year olds. I bought some books and we created a book about us. What food makes us healthy we played games with our pretend food. then we talked about what happens to the food when we eat it.
we talked about our hearts one day and even had a video from the library about it
I took picutes of food groups, like a pic of a fish and I held it up to my arms and told the kids that fish is protein and protein makes muscles, ask all the kids to flex and show you their muslces.. I also put it on my head to show them it is great brain food. We would then get into what do muslces do and why we need them. We talked about our brain and what it does.

held up a pic of a carrot, carrots give us vitamins and are good for our eyes, hold it up to your eyes. then talk about what do our eyes do?

same things with pictures of steak, eggs, milk, yogurt, fruits and other veggies

We also did alot with our senses...

I think that it might be a little advanced for your group, but hopefully I gave you something to work with.
kendallina 03:08 PM 09-21-2011
The dollar tree right now has skeletons for $1 for Halloween. And, granted they are a little 'scary', but really not too much and it will help the kiddos visualize what their bones look like without having to shell out $50 for a model skeleton. My kids for the longest time were fascinated with their ribs because they could actually feel them by rubbing their skin.

That's all I can write now...have to make dinner!
Crystal 04:24 PM 09-21-2011
*Start with books
*The skeletons are great....but when we covered this topic, I took it apart, laid out full size Xrays and children matched the bones
*run, jump, climb, dance, whatever.....have the children feel their heart pounding....listen to it with a stethoscope...talk about how exercise keeps our heart healthy and strong, and the heart moves our blood to other parts of our bodies
*break sticks and allow children to use real cast materials to put them back together
*sing and act out "them crazy bones"
*place mirrors in your environment. When you see a child admiring themselves, talk to them about their hair, eyes, smile, teeth, etc.
*sing/play head, shoulders, knees and toes
*take photos of the children and display them.....chart the differences in hair color, eye color, etc.
*put up a growth chart...measure them now and again in a month, compare the differences
*Place a scale in the room, weigh them, chart it, repeat in a month
Tags:human nature
Reply Up