Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Please
adnilwis 11:58 AM 06-23-2016
Hello everyone,
I need ideas for my dcks so they don't constantly hit, kick and scream at each other. I've tried doing games and they enjoy it but cant last too long and still someone ends up kicking.

What activities have worked for you all? My dcks are 4, 3 and two are almost 2. Outside is the same way. Someone (usually the 4 yo) ends up hurting someone (sometimes appears intentional too).

I try playing right by them on the floor and works for a few minutes then a kicking match starts and I have to break it up only for it to start up again. The 3 and 4 yo specifically.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks
Controlled Chaos 03:02 PM 06-23-2016
I would set up multiple stations or center and model play in them with the children. I might assign each child an area and keep them separate while they practice playing appropriately.

Same for outside.
"Sara you play with the trucks."
"Tony, you get to do side walk chalk!"
"Adam, you get to blow bubbles!" etc
Give them tasks to help them learn to play appropriately.
Josiegirl 03:26 PM 06-23-2016
I agree with PP. I did that for awhile and it would work. Trouble is for it to work with my group I'd have to do it constantly. But at least it'll give you a reprieve, then maybe they'll start to get it when they aren't allowed to play with their friends. Or after they've moved through their centers or stations, you could all come together for a fun group activity(sensory table or playdough, etc.)and if they go right back to being aggressive, split them up again.

My group have their good moments but it always seems to be a work in progress. I can see where they're learning some good tools for handling their situations because they do use them from time to time.
childcaremom 04:10 PM 06-23-2016
I do the same as the above suggestions. If they were arguing, then I set up stations, 1 per station. That was it for the rest of that particular play time. Then I would try group play again our next free time block.
adnilwis 06:52 PM 06-23-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I agree with PP. I did that for awhile and it would work. Trouble is for it to work with my group I'd have to do it constantly.
Me too! I'll try it and see but I'm not gonna get too hopeful about it. They are a tough and interesting group.
Reply Up