Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>what is a quality family childcare prog?
Oneluckymom 01:38 PM 07-19-2011
I was wondering what defines a "quality" childcare program and how to create one for my own childcare program. Also, how do you end up getting to a point where you really don't have to advertise and the parents do it for you, LOL.
Meeko 01:51 PM 07-19-2011
I honestly feel this one doesn't have one answer. There are so many different ways to have a wonderful day care. Some parents will swear you are the best ever. Some will not like what you offer.

You need to find YOUR niche. Set up the way YOU feel comfortable and don't let anyone tell you what's right or wrong, as there isn't really one.

As long as you are meeting the needs of the children and following your state's guidelines...the rest is up to you.

That may not help you at all!!! But it's how I feel.

Read this forum, read books, ask your CCRR etc. Take what sounds good and discard the rest and implement what feels good into your program.

I have been at this for many, many years. Many of my day care kids have kids of their own now. I learned as I went. Some things worked. Some things were a dismal failure. Chalk it all up to experience.
Oneluckymom 01:57 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I honestly feel this one doesn't have one answer. There are so many different ways to have a wonderful day care. Some parents will swear you are the best ever. Some will not like what you offer.

You need to find YOUR niche. Set up the way YOU feel comfortable and don't let anyone tell you what's right or wrong, as there isn't really one.

As long as you are meeting the needs of the children and following your state's guidelines...the rest is up to you.

That may not help you at all!!! But it's how I feel.

Read this forum, read books, ask your CCRR etc. Take what sounds good and discard the rest and implement what feels good into your program.

I have been at this for many, many years. Many of my day care kids have kids of their own now. I learned as I went. Some things worked. Some things were a dismal failure. Chalk it all up to experience.
Thank you so much....I realize a lot of it is experience. Personally, what have you found works best for you? I'm going to be setting up in my "basement" and was wondering if I should even come up stairs at all for meals/snacks...or should I just serve food down there. Is it worth it to put a micro/refridge in the basement?
rjskids 02:10 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
Thank you so much....I realize a lot of it is experience. Personally, what have you found works best for you? I'm going to be setting up in my "basement" and was wondering if I should even come up stairs at all for meals/snacks...or should I just serve food down there. Is it worth it to put a micro/refridge in the basement?
I am also set up in the basement and when I started I planned on having meals in my kitchen...but I got sooooo tired of carting the kids up and down the stairs. But it takes some planning to serve downstairs and I'm still trying to figure that out! haha. I do have a fridge and microwave downstairs. I serve breakfast upstairs because when my DD goes to school I am going to need to be upstairs to help her get ready for school (also I realized it is a looooong day in the basement all day). And while they are eating breakfast I prepare my lunch. I have a plastic container that I "pack" everything in I will need. And since I only have a tiny bathroom sink down there I use that container to pile dishes in to carry up at the end of the day. I'm actually considering a downstairs dishwasher sometime in the future.
Meeko 02:58 PM 07-19-2011
I am all for separating day care and home as much as possible. That way you don't feel like you are living at work or working at home ALL the time! That way, there is less for a licensor to inspect and you can contain kids and their parents in certain areas. Just make sure your basement has exits that meet fire codes.

Maybe install a microwave, fridge etc downstairs to start and add a stove later if you can?
Oneluckymom 03:41 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I am all for separating day care and home as much as possible. That way you don't feel like you are living at work or working at home ALL the time! That way, there is less for a licensor to inspect and you can contain kids and their parents in certain areas. Just make sure your basement has exits that meet fire codes.

Maybe install a microwave, fridge etc downstairs to start and add a stove later if you can?
I feel the same way. Actually, in the process of cleaning up down there now. I will talk to DH about the fridge and micro idea.
Oneluckymom 03:45 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by rjskids:
I am also set up in the basement and when I started I planned on having meals in my kitchen...but I got sooooo tired of carting the kids up and down the stairs. But it takes some planning to serve downstairs and I'm still trying to figure that out! haha. I do have a fridge and microwave downstairs. I serve breakfast upstairs because when my DD goes to school I am going to need to be upstairs to help her get ready for school (also I realized it is a looooong day in the basement all day). And while they are eating breakfast I prepare my lunch. I have a plastic container that I "pack" everything in I will need. And since I only have a tiny bathroom sink down there I use that container to pile dishes in to carry up at the end of the day. I'm actually considering a downstairs dishwasher sometime in the future.
Love that idea!! My son will be getting ready for school in the morning too...this may work well for me. Love the dishwasher idea.
AmandasFCC 05:40 PM 07-19-2011
Where I am we have to serve meals in a kitchen as a family child care. The children have to have access to more of the house than just a playroom. They need a bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, and living space . I haven't had an issue bringing them up the stairs to my kitchen to eat at all, though I'm in Canada and don't ever have children under 12 months of age. Frankly I like it better this way too ... My basement (playroom) is fully carpetted and my kids are all messy eaters. I'd hate to have to be down there vacuuming constantly.

As for original question, I agree with PP, there is really no one way to answer that. I think the very basic answer would be that the children are happy, well cared for, and entertained in a quality child care setting lol.
Cat Herder 05:45 PM 07-19-2011
Here, a "Quality Childcare Program" means Accreditation through a National or State Childcare Rating Agency. It is a code/buzz word advertising for a star rating system.

Check out the CDA, NAFCC or NAEYC website. It will explain more.

I am currently doing it against my will to stay in business. It becomes mandatory next year.

Don't get me wrong.. I LOVE attending classes and learning new things (I am weird like that). This coursework is monotonous, expensive, so far has very little new information and I CAN NOT CHARGE MORE for having it...

My clients could care less if I have this Accreditation and expect me to stay at the going rate for my region, regardless.

Many States are making it mandatory, though. Check your regs.
JaydensMommy 05:47 PM 07-19-2011
I just opened my own home daycare 2 months ago. I am just about full except for 1 after school spot that I'm not too interested in filling. I was surprised at how quickly I filled up and I still continue to get calls and have to turn people away and my waiting list is already growing. I think parents like my daycare first of all it starts with the first impression which is my website. A lot of parents tell me they loved my website. Second would be my home and neighborhood. And then when they come by people are surprised that my living room is completely converted to my daycare as well as my office room that is attached. I also do a curriculum with the older kids and my home is CLEAN and not cluttered and very kid friendly!!
nannyde 05:58 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Here, a "Quality Childcare Program" means Accreditation through a National or State Childcare Rating Agency. It is a code/buzz word thing for a star rating system.

Check out the CDA, NAFCC or NAEYC website. It will explain more.

I am currently doing it against my will to stay in business.

Don't get me wrong.. I LOVE attending classes and learning new things (I am weird like that). This coursework is monotonous, expensive, so far has very little new information and I CAN NOT CHARGE MORE for having it...

My clients could care less if I have this Accreditation and expect me to stay at the going rate for my region, regardless.

Many States are making it mandatory, though. Check your regs.

Pretty sad when the only cha ching is the cha ching the ones who educate get instead of the ones who DO get.
Cat Herder 06:13 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

Pretty sad when the only cha ching is the cha ching the ones who educate get instead of the ones who DO get.
My understanding is that the over-all goal is to have every State on the same sheet of music so to speak and have the ratings be the "Parents Guide" to Childcare...

At least that is what the last module I completed tonight said. There was a blurb or two about promoting industry to an area with "better" options for childcare as well and how it benefits the entire community as a whole.

I am sure Crystal can explain it better, she knows this stuff backwards and forwards. I am a bit overwhelmed by it right now. I don't want to hijack, though... I am the worlds worst at that, and am trying to get better.

OP, IMHO It definately is worth it to check your States intentions with the Ratings Systems before you invest in the wrong equipment/curriculum/books, etc. After over 17 years in business, with good references and safety inspections, I am having to replace equipment and alter the physical structures of my home at an alarming rate...
Oneluckymom 07:02 PM 07-19-2011
My understanding is that the over-all goal is to have every State on the same sheet of music so to speak and have the ratings be the "Parents Guide" to Childcare...

At least that is what the last module I completed said. There was a blurb or two about promoting industry to an area with "better" options for childcare as well and how it benefits the entire community as a whole.

I am sure Crystal can explain it better, she knows this stuff backwards and forwards. I am a bit overwhelmed by it right now. I don't want to hijack, though... I am the worlds worst at that, and am trying to get better.

OP, IMHO It definately is worth it to check your States intentions with the Ratings Systems before you invest in the wrong equipment/curriculum/books, etc. After over 17 years in business, with good references and safety inspections, I am having to replace equipment and alter the physical structures of my home at an alarming rate...
Wow...I would love to get accredited down the road, however, I would seriously look into the consequences and whether it would be worth it after reading this. "Alter the physical structures of your home"...Geez! Thanks for the info
Oneluckymom 07:06 PM 07-19-2011

So true Nannyde......you would think that after jumping through all the hoops to improve your child care program or impress the parents with accreditation we would be able to put some more change in our pockets!
nannyde 07:09 PM 07-19-2011

Every state?

17 years of raising great kids, happy parents, and a perfect safety record and you have been doing it wrong all along. Hard to believe.
Cat Herder 07:34 PM 07-19-2011
Every state?

17 years of raising great kids, happy parents, and a perfect safety record and you have been doing it wrong all along. Hard to believe.
I know...even my clients are shocked by it all. One Mom offered today to sponsor a daycare yard sale to help me get the "fence inside a fence" raised a foot, enclose the area around the ac unit with fencing and have a handwashing sink installed in the playroom (converted garage).

I may have to take her up on it.... Her husband is checking out contractors references for me.

OP, I don't want to stop you from getting Accredited...if you are going to be in this for a while you may not have a choice.

IMHO, It will just be better for you if you go on those sites above and at least order the "self evaluation kit" that tells you what they require to keep you from ending up where I am. That is all.
SilverSabre25 07:37 PM 07-19-2011
I know...even my clients are shocked by it all. One Mom offered today to sponsor a daycare yard sale to help me get the "fence inside a fence" raised a foot, enclose the area around the ac unit with fencing and have a handwashing sink installed in the playroom (converted garage).

I may have to take her up on it.... Her husband is checking out contractors references for me.

OP, I don't want to stop you from getting Accredited...if you are going to be in this for a while you may not have a choice.

IMHO, It will just be better for you if you go on those sites above and at least order the "self evaluation kit" that tells you what they require to keep you from ending up where I am. That is all.
bleh...you're kidding me, right?! Which accredidation is this, if you don't mind sharing? (Or maybe you did and I missed it). Are you serious that every state is going to start mandating that kind of stuff? source, please, if you have one!

Perhaps I need to order that transcript and get moving on that teaching license...
Michelle 07:44 PM 07-19-2011
I think a good quality program is to take care of your dck's as if they were your own, get the preschoolers ready for kinder , expose them to different cultures and customs. Send them home happy, healthy, clean, well fed ,and loved.
Did I miss anything?
Cat Herder 07:55 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
bleh...you're kidding me, right?! Which accreditation is this, if you don't mind sharing? (Or maybe you did and I missed it). Are you serious that every state is going to start mandating that kind of stuff? source, please, if you have one!

Perhaps I need to order that transcript and get moving on that teaching license...
I am doing the CDA program.

It gave a list of States that are mandating it as "The Minimal Standard". It also stated that National Accreditation was the goal with continued membership in a professional development organization being required to maintain this "Degree" (does not transfer).

It went on a bit about their representation in Washington and lobbying for a National Standard... This is all online training so you can't download or copy any of it (or I would link you or copy/paste).

I did almost "20 hours" of the 120 required today so my head is spinning, I am tired... I passed them all on the first try, though...
Cat Herder 07:56 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
I think a good quality program is to take care of your dck's as if they were your own, get the preschoolers ready for kinder , expose them to different cultures and customs. Send them home happy, healthy, clean, well fed ,and loved.
Did I miss anything?
I agree with you....

My State does not, anymore.....
Oneluckymom 08:52 PM 07-19-2011
I agree with you....

My State does not, anymore.....
Yes...you would think this is what is all about at the end of the day. I still need to check California standards for accreditation. However, I'm still awaiting licensing
Michelle 08:53 PM 07-19-2011
Yes...you would think this is what is all about at the end of the day. I still need to check California standards for accreditation. However, I'm still awaiting licensing
I'm in calif. and we don't have to have any classes except cpr/first aid, but I've been lic. for 11 years so i don't know if the newbies have to be.
Oneluckymom 08:59 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
I'm in calif. and we don't have to have any classes except cpr/first aid, but I've been lic. for 11 years so i don't know if the newbies have to be.
I'm in Cali to and yes it is just CPR and First aid for the license. Thank Goodness...any other stuff is just icing on the cake
MissAnn 04:07 AM 07-20-2011
I was wondering what defines a "quality" childcare program and how to create one for my own childcare program. Also, how do you end up getting to a point where you really don't have to advertise and the parents do it for you, LOL.
I've been open 3 years and I didn't advertise this year for fall kids (I only have 3-5 year olds so I lose about 1/3 of my kids going to kindergarten in the Fall). I had a waiting list and I'm full.
Blackcat31 06:42 AM 07-20-2011
I am doing the CDA program.

It gave a list of States that are mandating it as "The Minimal Standard". It also stated that National Accreditation was the goal with continued membership in a professional development organization being required to maintain this "Degree" (does not transfer).

It went on a bit about their representation in Washington and lobbying for a National Standard... This is all online training so you can't download or copy any of it (or I would link you or copy/paste).

I did almost "20 hours" of the 120 required today so my head is spinning, I am tired... I passed them all on the first try, though...
Cat, they were stating this very thing 17 years ago when I earned my CDA. Still my state does not require it as minimum standard training requirements to although their goal is that, it doesn't seem to be changing very quickly...

On the up side for me is that I DO get paid more due to having a CDA. The state pays me 15% more than the standard rates and since families on assistance cannot be charged more than regular families, my rates are 15% more across the board for everyone. So for me that is cha ching in MY pocket.
nannyde 07:01 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
On the up side for me is that I DO get paid more due to having a CDA. The state pays me 15% more than the standard rates and since families on assistance cannot be charged more than regular families, my rates are 15% more across the board for everyone. So for me that is cha ching in MY pocket.
Big shout out to the State of Minnesota for that one.

For fifteen percent more pay across the board for everyone I would gladly get a CDA. It would pay itself off in no time flat.
Crystal 07:12 AM 07-20-2011
I'll have to look up the exact details (no time now, will do later) but Ca. is working towards a rating system for FCC....1-5 "stars" type thing. To get the highest level, you have to have a minimum of a Bachelor's degree, get (I believe) a 6 on the Family Child Care Environmental Rating Scale, and numerous other indicators must be met. It's a long list of requirements just to get 2 starts.....BUT, I don't see it happening for awhile, mostly due to the budget, so if you want to get the "stars" working towards it now for the future is a good thing, but not mandatory. I attended several meetings last year about this but there has been little to no progress with the CDE and Licensing.

Now, anyone can get accredited through the National Association for Family Child Care, if you are willing to go through the rigorous process of self-study and being observed, interviewed, and meeting all of their indicators of a quality program, etc. and pay the ginormous fee attached to it, but it is not a requirement.
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 07-20-2011
Big shout out to the State of Minnesota for that one.

For fifteen percent more pay across the board for everyone I would gladly get a CDA. It would pay itself off in no time flat.
Oh, they paid me to get it too!! Didn't cost me a dime!
laundrymom 10:18 AM 07-20-2011
I am awaiting my accreditation visit from NAFCC. I didn't find anything too intrusive on the forms. Nothing all that costly. I am using a teach scholarship for my CDA, for all accreditation fees, I'm actually making 600$ this year because of the program. I will be the first accredited home in my 10 county area, the first level 4 home provider. I'm so happy and excited, and,... I really believe thats why I have a waiting list in my area and with my local economy.
But it isn't required.
Tags:accreditation, quality
Reply Up